mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Getting Started with the Motif XS Editor VST"

Posted on: February 16, 2009 @ 02:31 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

We will be posting a more complete guide in the coming days but here are some tips to get started.

The Motif XS Editor VST runs inside of Cubase and there are a couple of ways to approach using it.

If you create an INSTRUMENT TRACK you can select the Motif XS VST as your VST Instrument. This method would be if you only are using a single timbral instance of the Motif XS. The INSTRUMENT Track does not allow you to take advantage of the Multi-timbral capability of the XS, but is one method of working.

If you go to DEVICES > VST INSTRUMENTS and launch the VST INSTRUMENT Rack, you can select the EXTERNAL > MOTIF XS VST as your device. Here you can also select the number of stereo audio OUTPUT buses you wish to use. On the VSTi “rack” you will see an icon that symbolizes OUTPUTS:

[>

Click the Output icon and you can select the main Stereo OUT or multiple stereo outputs. You will be able to activate as many of the 8 pairs as you require. Click ACTIVATE ALL OUTPUTS or simply select those you require. (shown below - see three screen shots)

If you select just the first STEREO Out, there will be one Audio lane (left). If you select to ACTIVATE ALL OUTPUTS you will see that Cubase creates 8 Audio lanes (far right). 

These correspond to the VSTi SETUP screen within the Editor: FILE > VSTi SETUP (shown below in center)

We highly recommend that you spend at least some time with the ONLINE MANUAL pages 4, 5 and 6 for the basic setup. The 14 steps of setup are laid out clearly.

In fact, the whole 54 page Manual is invalueable in getting started.

Bad Mister’s Quick Tip:
When using the multiple audio outputs of the Motif XS (via IEEE1394/mLAN) you will want to go to [UTILITY] > [F2] I/O and make sure your OUTPUT Gains are set equally for the L&R;OUTPUT and the individual mLAN OUTPUTS.

Image Attachments
VST_Instrument.JPGVSTi_Setup1.JPGVST_Inst_8.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2009 @ 04:02 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Thanks very much to BM for the ‘quick start’ on this.

For those as slow as I am, the “54 page manual’ is under the help menu.

As it looks so much like the old editor, it didn’t occur to me that there would be a new manual until I read BM’s post.

OK OK so I’m a little slow on the uptake today!

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2009 @ 04:50 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

where is the online manual? what help menu?

NEVER MIND, I FOUND ON YAMAHASYNTH.COM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2009 @ 05:09 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

At the top of the editor you will see File, Edit Bulk and Help.

Select Help and the manual is there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2009 @ 05:59 PM
boulez
Joined  02-12-2007

How does the new editor interact with the media bay in cubase?

Should the voices of the XS be visible as are voices for other VSTs? (eg Halion)

Thanks,

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2009 @ 06:08 PM
keyfax
Total Posts:  1625
Joined  06-11-2002

The VST editors are now also available directly on Motifator.com:

http://motifator.com/index.php/softwareupdates/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2009 @ 09:14 PM
boulez
Joined  02-12-2007

In MedaiBay, scan the following location:

On a Mac: -
Macintosh HD:Library:Audio:Presets:Yamaha Corporation:MOTIF XS VST

On a PC, I would look in: %SYSTEMVOLUME%\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 4\VST3 Presets

See screenshot
....which I currently cannot attach! :))_

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2009 @ 09:33 PM
trifidmaster
Total Posts:  419
Joined  02-20-2006

EXCELLENT!!! No more need to set up XS as external device.
This is very cool - hohooo, ideas can go very fast.
:-)

Boulez,
at the bottom of the screen is the line for attachment…

Strange, I also can not attach.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2009 @ 12:03 AM
bobbybland
Total Posts:  1271
Joined  01-04-2008

Hello,
I have an XS RACK with MR816CSX.I cannot seem to make this editor work correctly.I do get audio via the audition button,but when I try to trigger the xs via my controller,it produces no sound,but yet it does show midi activity.Besides this other vsti’s respond correctly.

I have read the manual,so I’m clear on what the connections are supposed to look like on the editor.

Can anyone say why I would have this issue?

It boils down to me triggering the controller,yet no audio is being produced.. ?
My controller sends a midi signal fine,but no audio..

Connections from XS are going into inputs 3/4 of the MR 816CSX..

As I mentioned before the audition on the XS does produce sound though.. I’m scratching my head..

I should also mention I’m on Cubase 5

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2009 @ 01:17 AM
bobbybland
Joined  01-04-2008

Okay restarting everything seemed to do the trick,still not sure why.Either way it’s working thanks..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2009 @ 02:07 AM
Iaroslav
Total Posts:  13
Joined  02-16-2009

Was surprised that Installation of XS Editor VST didn’t give me an option to install it on some other drive (not C). I usually try to keep all music related soft on another drive, but with XS Editor VST everything went to ‘C:\Program Files\...’ by default.
Is there any particular reason for such behavior?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2009 @ 04:46 AM
bobbybland
Joined  01-04-2008

Now it’s back doing the same thing,as in my previous posts. :[
I was under the impression these units would work better together.
It’s like it’s losing it’s connections somehow.I just ordered mlan card for XS,I’m starting to think this is still not yet ready for work..

Help explain why this is happening please.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2009 @ 02:18 PM
bobbybland
Joined  01-04-2008

Any update as to why the newest XS RACK editor + MR816CSX + Cubase 5 are failing to work correctly?

I would have assumed this would have been a rock solid release considering the time it took Yamaha to release this.

If anyone has this setup working correctly,can you please chime in on why I can’t seem to get mine working.Surely these integration devices we’re all tested together right?

I should not that this problem is with the Instrument Track function,when I load it via the Instrument track,it does not work.
If I go to a midi track,all of a sudden it recognizes how to work. Any thoughts ?

[ Ignore ]