mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How much is it worth?"

Posted on: February 16, 2009 @ 11:07 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

I put a performance up on YouTube a while back, and it’s generated some interest from folks wanting to buy the backing track and sheet music for the lead.

I haven’t a clue… What’s the going rate for such a thing?

I’m also looking at licensing… and securing registered copyright.... 

In this case, the license granted would be “personal use only, no performance rights.”

Should I grant performance rights by default?  I know if I’m buying Big Band charts, performance rights are granted.  But I have little knowledge in this subject. 

This is one of those things I would probably tell someone to consult a lawyer… But legal fees will easily eat up my profits if I only sell a few copies....

The tune is about 5 minutes long (~75 measures at 1/4=60), is two full sheets for the chart.  I would guess it’d be for “Grade 4” sax players…

While the lead chart is the same for both, the backing track is actually two recordings; one for an Eb Alto, a different one for a Bb Tenor.  I did it this way, instead of transposing the horn part, because the range employed covers the whole range of the sax; a Tenor would have to delve well into the Altissimo to play (as it is, there’s one Altissimo “G” regardless.) A performance demo is also included.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2009 @ 03:24 PM
mo-z
Total Posts:  724
Joined  11-18-2005

Are you supplying custom MIDI files and/or audio tracks?  At least you did the smart thing in securing your copyright.  If you ever bought MIDI file tunes before, prices vary, and if you’re also including audio tracks, you’re entering demo prices---whatever the market will bear.  If you are doing audio tracks, remember to compensate any additional players----this can come back to bite you if you forget.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2009 @ 04:03 PM
scotch
Total Posts:  2027
Joined  08-14-2005

I haven’t a clue… What’s the going rate for such a thing?

I’m also looking at licensing… and securing registered copyright....

Definitely register copyright immediately. Rather than bother too much about the going rate, you might simply ask how much those interested are willing to pay and consider what price would make sending it worthwhile to you. It would help to know what you were thinking when you put the thing on the Internet in the first place.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2009 @ 04:57 PM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

scotch: It would help to know what you were thinking when you put the thing on the Internet in the first place.

Well, It was one of those things where I had absolutely no aspirations of making any money on that piece.  In the mindset I was in, it was a lark.  Something with which to entertain.  So, I posted it.  Now that I’ve received several inquiries, my mind has been changed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2009 @ 06:47 PM
scotch
Total Posts:  2027
Joined  08-14-2005

Are you keeping track of your expenses (copyright fee for example) and the time you’re putting in to this? I’d try to set my selling price such that I’d at least break even (based on what I determine my time is worth).

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Copyright question
Next Topic:

Has anyone used Lilypond Engraver? ››