mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Separate MIDI channels in performance mode?"

Posted on: February 15, 2009 @ 06:45 PM
dwestside13
Total Posts:  3
Joined  02-15-2009

Hey everyone,

I’m new to the forum and have a question about using a midi controller (Korg Kontrol 49) with my Motif XS8.

What I’m trying to accomplish is have some performance flexibility where I can delegate some of the “sounds” exclusively to the midi controller, obviously meaning having the midi controller have it’s own separate midi channel in performance mode. Is this even possible? The only way I’ve figured out how assign separate midi channels to different voices is through Song mode. Only problem with this is I loose all the flexibility of performance mode (ability to split the keyboard, play using several voices at once, etc.).

If anybody has any advice it’d be greatly appreciated.

- dwestside

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2009 @ 07:00 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

By definition, Performances respond to a single MIDI channel. However, when you assign parts within a song or pattern mix you do [color:blue]NOT[/color] give up the ability to layer and split these voices to respond to common MIDI channels. Which MIDI channel each part responds to is specified by setting the Receive Channel parameter for that part. Similarly, you can setup splits and layers for parts that share a MIDI channel by setting the Note Limits for these parts. Finally, if you split voices, you might want to transpose these parts. You can do this by setting the Note Shift parameter for each part. All of these parameters can be set in the [SONG]-->[MIXING]-->[EDIT]-->{part number ([1] - [16]})-->[F1] VOICE-->[SF1] VOICE dialog (as shown in the first attachment, below).

You can also specify which controllers affect which parts (for example, you might want only one of several layered or split parts to respond to the sustain pedal) in the [SONG]-->[MIXING]-->[EDIT]-->{part number ([1] - [16]})-->[F6] ReceiveSW dialog (as shown in the second attachment, below).

Regards,

Brad Weber ;-)

Image Attachments
Image1.jpgImage2.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2009 @ 07:10 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

Performance mode is meant to be played with only one MIDI channel.

However you can use any Performance in Song or Pattern Mode.

Go to Song or Pattern , Press Mix and then Job.
Press F5 Template

SF1 let’s you Get and Put Mixes and store up to 32 Mix Templates.

However you want to use Performance and have different MIDI channels. 

So press SF2 and then copy any Performance to a Song or Pattern Mix.  Using the Template function, this will take all of the setting for the Performance, but assign each Part to a different MIDI channel.  ( By the way . using the F3 copy function for Performances will copy all of the settings, but keep each Part on the same MIDI channel).

If you want some Parts to play on the same MIDI channel you can also do that. In Mix , Press edit and use the 1-16 buttons to select the Part you’d like to edit.  F1 Voice, SF1 Voice has a parameter at the top of the page called Receive Channel.  Here you can set the channel that the Mix Part recieves MIDI channel information on.  By setting several channels to the same number, you can play them at the same time. 

So Mixes have all the flexibility of the Performances.

This is also the secret to direct Performance recording. 

When you press record in Performance, You cna play a Performance and record it directly to a Pattern or a Song playing on one MIDI channel.  When you go to the Pattern or Song, the parts have been automatically spilt out to different MIDI channels.  So you have captured the Performance in real time, but then you can go back in Pattern or Song and re-record individual Parts on separate MIDI channels giving you more flexibility.

Hope that helps !

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2009 @ 07:33 PM
dwestside13
Total Posts:  3
Joined  02-15-2009

Wow. This thread rules. Pressing the mixing button and then the edit button is what threw me. Thanks Brad and Yamaha_US. I think I have everything I need now.

- dwestside

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ 4-FREE Drum Kits for Yamaha XS
Next Topic:

Drum Beat (ARP) through vocoder? ››