mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOTIF XF not responding to sysex Commands"

Posted on: October 04, 2022 @ 03:57 PM
ddavis539
Total Posts:  4
Joined  08-25-2008

I’m setting up my old Motif XF 8 as a backup / rehearsal keyboard.  I use forscore with an ipad with a hard-wired usb cable to send midi commands to my keyboards to select the patches for each song.  I figured out how to select different banks using the program change for MSB 63, and that works fine.  However, I’ve figured out that if I want to select a Voice or performance, I need to first press the button to go into that mode.

I’ve searched and according to Yamaha’s website, the command to change a Motif XF into voice mode is supposed to be F0 43 10 7F 12 0A 00 00 00 F7

I tried inputing that and got no response

I found the command for the XS which is
F0.43.10.7F.03.0A.00.01.00.F7

which also doesn’t work.

I put forscore into ‘Learn mode’ and pressed the voice button and it recorded:

F0 43 12 7F 13 0A 00 01 00 F7
B2 40 00

I’m not sure what the extra 3 bytes are at the end.  I’ve tried leaving that and removing the extra 3 bytes at different times and in all cases the mode doesn’t change.  I know it’s receiving commands because when I switch to a song which just sends a program change command for channel 3, it works (presuming I’m in the appropriate voice or performance mode)

Is there something obvious I’m missing here?  I.e. Maybe a configuration param that ignores sysex or something?  I suppose I could just add notes about whether a song is using a vocie or performance setting, but that would be kind of a pain.  Any help would be appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 06, 2022 @ 02:35 AM
hobbit
Total Posts:  65
Joined  06-18-2008

Hi ddavis539

The SysEx command for Mode Change on Motif XF 8 is:

F0 43 10 7F 12 0A 00 01 dd F7

with 0A 00 01 being the address for Mode Change and dd the parameter of the desired mode as follows:

dd = 00: Voice Mode
dd = 01: Performance Mode
dd = 02: Pattern Mode
dd = 03: Song Mode
dd = 04: Master Mode

A Mode Change brings you back to the same Bank/Program (resp. Pattern/Song) that was selected when you left the mode. In order to change to another Bank and/or Program, you need to send the respective Control Change command.

Best regards, hobbit

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 06, 2022 @ 04:14 AM
hobbit
Total Posts:  65
Joined  06-18-2008

By the way, are you familiar with Master Mode? There you can save all Voices and Performances (as well as Songs and Patterns) in the order you need them at your gig. Then you don’t have to worry about Mode, Bank and/or Program Change commands.

[ Ignore ]