mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using my Motif XF8 as a midi controller in Logic Pro X, M1 Mac/Monterey"

Posted on: March 08, 2022 @ 11:40 PM
tchambeau
Total Posts:  29
Joined  11-07-2002

Greetings Motifators,

So, I just read several extensive threads on here regarding outdated firewire technology with Yamaha/Apple etc, so I know and feel the pain not being able to utilize all of the Motif’s options, but:

I’ve always just recorded into Logic, right out of my unbalanced output on the Motif to a Hi-Z input on my Universal Audio Apollo XP8. No problems there, old school and it has worked.
However, I would like to dabble with software instruments in Logic and would love to be able to just use the Motif as a midi controller keyboard. I tried going USB into my Mac mini. I’ve read about the Steinberg driver’s, but they will not work on Monterey. So, any other ways to accomplish this?
I know I can get a cheap little $100 Midi controller, but space-wise, I would much rather utilize the Motif.

Thanks in advance

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2022 @ 01:24 PM
tchambeau
Joined  11-07-2002

Please Mister Please!!!
Someone has to know whether if this is possible!!!????
Thanks in Advance, I will really appreciate it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 12, 2022 @ 03:56 PM
hobbit
Total Posts:  65
Joined  06-18-2008

Hi tchambeau

You don’t need the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver (which is - as its name says - for the FireWire connection and only works up to macOS 10.14) but the USB-MIDI Driver. However according to the site Firmware and Software Downloads the USB-MIDI Driver V1.5.0 only (?) works for macOS 11 (Intel/Apple silicon with Rosetta 2). I haven’t upgraded to Monterey (in fact I’m still at Mojave as I don’t want to lose the FW connection...) yet so I can’t tell you if this version of the USB-MIDI Drivers works for macOS 12 as well.

Best regards, hobbit

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2022 @ 10:45 PM
tchambeau
Joined  11-07-2002

Thanks Hobbit!!! That’s the info I needed.
I downloaded the USB driver, but it didn’t work.
At least I know where I stand now. Hopefully Yamaha will update the driver, but until then I’ll bite the bullet and get a small midi controller.
I’ll check back and when/if I am able to use the Motif as a USB controller, I’ll update this thread.

Thanks Again, appreciate it

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 14, 2022 @ 02:39 PM
hobbit
Joined  06-18-2008

Just to make sure: You did set “UTILITY > Control > MIDI > Interface MIDI In/Out” to “USB”, didn’t you?

Best regards, hobbit

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2022 @ 10:30 AM
tchambeau
Joined  11-07-2002

Hobbit thanks, I did set the USB setting on the Motif. I’ll keep you posted if/when I am ever able to connect. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Regards

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2022 @ 12:52 PM
tchambeau
Joined  11-07-2002

Mr Hobbit, I GOT IT WORKING!!!!
So, to recap getting the Motif XF to act as a Midi-controller in Logic X Pro 10.7.3
Thru a Mac mini M1 2021, Monterey 12.2.1
I needed to run Rosetta and download Yamaha’s USB driver, in the Link you posted.
Then on the Motif, Utility/Control/ set Interface in/out to USB.
This worked with no other settings/adjustments on either the Motif or Mac.
I was sort of expecting the Motif to show up on the Audio Midi Setup on the Mac, but it’s not there.
Not sure if that is even an issue, just an observation.

Now, thinking about other options to record the Motif into Logic, while dealing with the
present day limitations on the Motif’s outdated Firewire.
My recording interface is a Universal Audio Apollo XP8.
There are no Midi connections on the Apollo.
Is my best (cleanest sounding) option for recording into Logic then, run out of the Motif’s 1/4 TRS, into a balanced XLR on the Apollo? Should I be running 2 cables out for stereo?? (Probably a dumb question, but I never claimed not to be dumb)

I recently purchased a Moog Grandmother synth, that does have Midi/in out/ thru and USB.
Not sure if that somehow that could be utilized in the chain somehow, being a link between the Motif and Mac?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Just getting the Motif to act as Midi-controller was a huge help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 26, 2022 @ 10:15 AM
hobbit
Joined  06-18-2008

Hi tchambeau

Great to hear that you got it working!

So now you have a two-way connection between the MOTIF and LOGIC on the Mac for MIDI signals. Your next question is about a (one-way) connection from MOTIF to LOGIC for AUDIO signals. First thing: Yes, aim for a stereo connection or you will lose much of what makes the MOTIF sound so great. Second: MIDI is a standard protocol for commands, AUDIO is (analog or digital) information about sound. So in order to transmit MOTIF sounds to LOGIC you don’t need and can’t use any additional MIDI-connection.

For the transmission of AUDIO signals you have two choices: Either you connect the analog (TRS) OUT-sockets of MOTIF with the analog (XLR) IN-sockets of Apollo X8P. This gives you an analog connection with a D/A-conversion on the MOTIF side and a A/D-conversion on the Apollo side. Or you aim for a digital connection by using the digital (Chinch) OUT of your MOTIF connecting it to the (apparently optical) Input on your Apollo (as I don’t own an Apollo interface I can only point you to the information I found in the UAD forum here: https://uadforum.com/apollo-arrow-interfaces/50569-apollo-x8p-spdif.html; see also the thread in this forum). This gives you a pure digital connection without any D/A- and A/D-re-conversion (kind of the same thing that I have with the FW option).

Best regards, hobbit

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2022 @ 10:10 PM
tchambeau
Joined  11-07-2002

Thanks A MILLION Hobbit!!! I am mostly an acoustic string player, so even the basic keyboard stuff is a learning curve for me.

I just had a friend point out that since I also have a patch bay (Samson S-patch 1/4 TRS 48 Point)
with a couple pieces of analog gear (Manley Vari-MU, Summit EQ) that maybe I could go out of the Motif TRS-TRS into two channels on the back of the patch bay.
If not, your idea of just going with (2) TRS to XLR’s into the Apollo would be easy enough.

In regards to your recommendation to go all digital with the Cinch/digital out on the Motif.
It looks like I"ll need a converter and some more cabling as my Motif is around 20 ft away from the Apollo.
I know this is subjective, but is there a very noticeable difference in sonic quality, without that AD/DA conversion??
Are there any other pros to all digital?
Again, thanks for taking the time out to help school me here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2022 @ 01:05 PM
hobbit
Joined  06-18-2008

In fact, you don’t need TRS to XLR cables in order to connect the MOTIF to your Apollo, since the analog inputs of the Apollo are XLR/TLS combo jacks (so TRS to TRS will do). However I don’t see any advantage in connecting the patch bay in between, it just makes your connection longer, as you will need another pair of TRS-cables in order to connect the patch bay to Apollo. 20 feet is already quite a distance for an unbalanced audio connection (the audio outputs of the MOTIF are unbalanced). At short distances, I would personally rate analog and digital equally (but I know that some don’t...); at longer distances you don’t have any loss of signal strength or sound quality with a digital connection.

Best regards, hobbit

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 31, 2022 @ 04:59 PM
tchambeau
Joined  11-07-2002

Thanks again Hobbit, the balanced cabling has been working great. I’ll probably try the digital route soon and will post my results. Best Regards MAN!!!!

[ Ignore ]