mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MIDI Control of Roland Synths"

Posted on: May 11, 2021 @ 09:58 PM
abetti
Total Posts:  3
Joined  04-26-2020

Hello.  I’m new to the MOXF6 and don’t have much experience with MIDI.  I am trying to control either my Roland JD-XA or Juno-106 with my MOXF6.  I set the transmit channel on the MOXF6 and receive channel on the JD-XA to the same value but no sound comes out of the JD-XA when I play the MOXF6.  When I plug the MOXF6 into the Juno, it’s even worse because it locks up the synth and you can’t even play it.  Am I making a basic mistake in my MIDI settings?  Is there more I have to do than setting the channels to the same value?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 12, 2021 @ 06:09 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

A bit more information might make it easier to help you. Please detail which connectors (out/in) you’re using to make the connections between the MOXF and the Roland models.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2021 @ 09:51 PM
abetti
Joined  04-26-2020

Sure thing!  I was using the MIDI Out on my MOXF6 going to the MIDI In on the JD-XA.  I did the same with the Juno-106.  I thought maybe I had a defective cable so I tried another MIDI cable with the same result.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2021 @ 04:49 PM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

Unfortunately, my MoXF and most of gear currently resides in boxes, so I will be rather vague here.

When set up and not in the middle of moving house, I keep switching between sending MIDI over DIN or USB, depending on if I’m ‘DAW less’ or using Cubase, but I think the default is USB until you save your preferences, have you changed to sending over DIN?
It doesn’t send over both at the same time!

Also, if you’re in song or pattern mode, the default for the tracks are to send the MIDI internally and not out to USB or DIN, so you’ll have to change that maybe.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2021 @ 10:07 PM
abetti
Joined  04-26-2020

Unfortunately that didn’t work either.  It’s odd that it will completely freeze my Juno.  I’m thinking I may have to reach out to Yamaha.  Maybe there’s defective wiring?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 27, 2021 @ 02:11 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

Yeah, the freezing of the Juno seems rather odd. If you had cables going both In and Out, then maybe some loop could cause it…

Are you sure it’s the MoXF causing it?
Tried to control it with another controller?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 27, 2021 @ 07:50 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
abetti - 26 May 2021 10:07 PM

Unfortunately that didn’t work either.  It’s odd that it will completely freeze my Juno.  I’m thinking I may have to reach out to Yamaha.  Maybe there’s defective wiring?

I suggest you verify that the MOXF’s MIDI-out port is operating properly. Turn Local Control off via Utility mode, and verify that the keyboard won’t play the tone generator. Then connect a MIDI cable from the MOXF’s MIDI-out to its MIDI-in - the keys should be enabled again, and if so MIDI-out is functioning.

Let us know what you find.

[ Ignore ]