mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOFX6’s drums sound muffled vs the MOX/XF/XS/etc. How can I make them sound the same?"

Posted on: April 20, 2021 @ 05:12 PM
endgamera
Total Posts:  4
Joined  04-06-2021

*nevermind, I was using the air button on my interface and it messed with the EQ

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2021 @ 06:15 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I have no access to your linked audio file. A short MP3, zipped, could be attached here.

Moving on…
How were the MOXF and XS played? By keys or via a MIDI file?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2021 @ 11:59 PM
endgamera
Joined  04-06-2021
5pinDIN - 20 April 2021 06:15 PM

I have no access to your linked audio file. A short MP3, zipped, could be attached here.

Moving on…
How were the MOXF and XS played? By keys or via a MIDI file?

Ah, my bad. I’ve attached the mp3 in a zip file like you suggested.

I am playing them via MIDI controlled by my DAW at full velocity. I know they are reaching their highest velocities because it works on every other voice. I’ve also tested a variety of velocities, and nothing sounds like the older models sadly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2021 @ 08:58 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Thanks for posting the MP3. I’ve done some analysis of the two halves, and the results are interesting, but before I comment further…

How did you capture the audio from the MOXF and the XS? (I’m asking because while both models have line outputs, the MOXF can do digital audio over USB and the XS might have a FW interface.) Please be specific.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2021 @ 06:28 PM
endgamera
Joined  04-06-2021

Both via their line outputs, just those quarter inch cables on the back.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2021 @ 09:02 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
endgamera - 21 April 2021 06:28 PM

Both via their line outputs, just those quarter inch cables on the back.

OK.

Attached are the frequency spectrum plots generated by Audacity for the first 4 and second 4 beats in your MP3. Relative to the first (the MOXF?), the second (the XS?) has a bit of reduction in level at the bottom and midrange, and about a 6 dB boost at the top. I find that interesting because previous efforts to determine sound differences between some Motif family models showed that the MOXF was a bit brighter than the XS and XF, not the other way around.

Here’s the thread:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/470507/

Since this is a bit of a mystery…
Which Drum Kit, key, and mode were being played on the MOXF and XS?

File Attachments
FrequencySpectrum.zip  (File Size: 56KB - Downloads: 235)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2021 @ 08:14 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
endgamera - 20 April 2021 05:12 PM

*nevermind, I was using the air button on my interface and it messed with the EQ

It would have been more considerate if you had posted the above in reply to my previous post, rather than editing your first post in this thread. Not only does what you did make this thread confusing for others to read, I didn’t even know you had posted anything further until I decided to check again.

:-(

[ Ignore ]