mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can I “level” the Volume for all Songs in my set?"

Posted on: February 19, 2021 @ 03:58 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

Short of going into each Song and judging by ear (what I do now), is there some way to get the relative Volumes of all my Songs to something consistent for playing live?  I’m talking about the Volume of a Song in comparison to the Volume of the next Song and so forth?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2021 @ 04:56 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

One way could be to use an ALC (Automatic Level Control) device at the output of the MOXF. Various manufacturers use somewhat different names for such devices. A Google search for “audio automatic level control” (without the quotes) should turn up several links.

Be aware that good ALCs aren’t usually cheap, and cheap ALCs often aren’t particularly good. If you decide to go that route, buy from a source with a liberal return policy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2021 @ 10:24 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

Interesting. I had no idea there was such a thing. And I would imagine it’s not something one would want to cheap out on, considering. I will see what turns up on the internet.

In general, I’m having some odd incidents with Volumes and/or maybe its just a certain frequency within a certain Voce, going suddenly out of whack and I’m wondering if it could be related to uneven power or surging of the current. (I live in Central America where brown-outs and such are common.) Is such a thing even possible considering everything in my rig runs through a battery/surge protector unit. I may be chasing a ghost, but thought I’d ask and see if you have any other ideas.

Thanks again, 5pin!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2021 @ 11:25 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 19 February 2021 10:24 PM

[...]

In general, I’m having some odd incidents with Volumes and/or maybe its just a certain frequency within a certain Voce, going suddenly out of whack and I’m wondering if it could be related to uneven power or surging of the current. (I live in Central America where brown-outs and such are common.) Is such a thing even possible considering everything in my rig runs through a battery/surge protector unit. I may be chasing a ghost, but thought I’d ask and see if you have any other ideas.

Yamaha synths are tolerant of a reasonable degree of power fluctuation, and if by “battery/surge protector unit” you’re referring to a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), then that sort of problem is even less likely. If there were symptoms of unstable supply voltage, they would likely be more evident than just some volume variation.

Are these volume changes occurring with no change in environment, or are they happening at different venues? If the sound seems to change from one place to another, that might be due to what’s known as “room modes”. Resonances can cause emphasis at certain frequencies, or there can be loss at others.

A problem can occur when levels and EQ are set using headphones or in a home studio on monitor speakers, etc., and then playing out in a room with sufficiently different acoustics.

https://www.google.com/search?q=room+acoustic+modes

muscarella -

Thanks again, 5pin!

You’re welcome.

[ Ignore ]