mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XS vs XF"

Posted on: February 13, 2021 @ 06:23 PM
PeteParsons
Total Posts:  144
Joined  08-21-2020

I’ve looked at the difference between both XS and XF. There seems to be less difference than there was from the ES to the XS.

I know this question is subjective, but is going from the XS to the XF worth it? It certainly was from the ES to the XS. The screen alone is worth it’s weight in gold. Additional Arps, user banks and improved sequencer and effects are a plus.

Keep in mind I use the XS as a standalone unit.

For those who have had both, I would like your thoughts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2021 @ 06:25 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

Also I am mainly using it to produce music. I also use an AW1600.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2021 @ 08:27 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

I forgot to mention song/pattern no longer have to be stored to a drive upon power down from ES to XS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2021 @ 08:41 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
PeteParsons - 13 February 2021 06:23 PM

I’ve looked at the difference between both XS and XF. There seems to be less difference than there was from the ES to the XS.

I know this question is subjective, but is going from the XS to the XF worth it? It certainly was from the ES to the XS. The screen alone is worth it’s weight in gold. Additional Arps, user banks and improved sequencer and effects are a plus.

Keep in mind I use the XS as a standalone unit.

For those who have had both, I would like your thoughts.

PeteParsons - 13 February 2021 06:25 PM

Also I am
mainly using it to produce music. I also use an AW1600.

If “Additional Arps, user banks and improved sequencer and effects are a plus.”, then the XF might make a difference for you…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xf_whats_new

See the Supplementary Manual for new features added to the XF by OS updates, including added effects:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/4/325614/motifxf_v150_en_nf_c0.pdf

There’s something to consider about sample memory differences between the two models. The XS can have up to 2GB of optional SDRAM (DIMM) memory, which is volatile - the contents are lost when the XS is powered down. The XF comes with 128MB of SDRAM standard, and can have up to 4GB of optional non-volatile flash memory. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. The XF’s non-volatile memory is nice, since sample libraries only have to be loaded once. However, if you frequently load large new samples, the XS has the advantage of much faster load times to SDRAM, not limited by the XF’s 128MB.

This thread might be of interest:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/476930/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2021 @ 12:57 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

Your first link is what I originally used to compare the two. I am interested in the additional arps but the quality of them would be a key for me. I use a lot of classical string and orchestra type arps. The extra user bank is nice but not a necessity. I’d be curious in the new waveforms and to know how the sequencer is improved.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2021 @ 01:00 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

Sample memory is not very important to me. I added 1G to the XS but don’t make very much use of it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2021 @ 01:27 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

I just went thru the OS updates on the XF. The only one that interests me is the latest version because of the effects. HI guess the only way to check out those things that interest me is to find one to play.

I am still most interested in the improvements of the sequencer as in this part of my life, I don’t gig anymore and my focus is creating music and getting what I have already written recorded. Right now I’m working on a demo for a documentary.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2021 @ 02:41 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
PeteParsons - 14 February 2021 12:57 PM

Your first link is what I originally used to compare the two. I am interested in the additional arps but the quality of them would be a key for me. I use a lot of classical string and orchestra type arps. The extra user bank is nice but not a necessity. I’d be curious in the new waveforms and to know how the sequencer is improved.

Quality depends on personal perception, so I won’t attempt to characterize the additional Arps or Waveforms from that standpoint.

Several years ago I posted tables of XS and XF Arps and Waveforms. They showed where the Arp and Waveform numbers differed between the two models (even when the Arps/Waveforms themselves were identical), and where the Arps/Waveforms were only found in the XF.

Waveforms:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/460385/

Arps:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/460403/

VikasSharma converted my tables to PDFs, and included XF-only versions, so you might want to download those.

For your purposes the additional XF Waveforms might have more application than the Arps, based on names only. However, I’ve sometimes found that Arps which might initially seem inappropriate for a particular use turn out to be applicable when tempo, etc., are changed.

As to the XS and XF sequencers, they’re essentially the same. Sorry if my quoting you previously was misleading.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2021 @ 10:49 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

Thanks. My biggest concern was the sequencer. Additional waveforms and arps are always a plus but probably not worth the money for me. Not to mention I have dozens of banks of sounds from the ES which I am loading into the XS.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Can CC11 be mapped in Protools to the XS?
Next Topic:

Loading ES voices into XS ››