mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "computer midi to motif xf song sequence?"

Posted on: February 04, 2021 @ 12:19 PM
southpoint
Total Posts:  24
Joined  05-01-2006

Can the XF record midi from a computer DAW into a XF song sequence? I just created a midi sequence on my DAW - using the XF as the sound source - and then I was fully expecting to be able to copy the midi (by some means) into a “song” on the XF. I experimented with a variety of approaches and then read the manual several times - and then came to the conclusion it is not a feature.

I thought for sure I could copy the midi (either format 0 or 1) onto a thumb drive - and read it into a song. But - it looks like the usb thumb drive is more for saving/reading in various types of XF specialty setting/config files. Then I thought there was a means to play back the midi from the DAW… and somehow set the XF up into receive mode (record into the song). But - I couldn’t find anything.

I used to do this idea 30 years ago on a korg 01/wfd… with floppy drives. Plus - my yamaha S90ES can play back a midi file.

So - am I missing a capability somewhere? The idea is to develop the midi on my DAW… but do a performance in a live group situation - with only the XF.

Or - is there a way to save the audio (generated by the DAW to XF midi) back into the XF (via the sampling feature)?? In other words - play back the midi from the DAW… and the XF puts out the audio ... but feed the audio back into the XF to record the audio - with the purpose of later playing the audio back to the DAW… to at least record the audio??

If I can’t get the midi actually saved in the XF… then it would be really helpful to at least record the audio. From my computer DAW perspective - I can’t play back the midi (which I am currently doing via midi cables) and record the audio at the same time. I even tried to use the Open broadcast software to at least record while playing back the midi. But - with my Sonar DAW running - the OBS couldn’t record the audio (despite trying all the audio sources options). Sonar must lock out the audio with a firm grip.

Thx
IW

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2021 @ 03:05 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Probably the simplest approach, presuming your DAW can create a proper Type 0 or Type 1 MIDI file and save it to a USB flash drive…
Be sure that it’s named with the .MID file extension. There should then be no problem in loading it to an XF Song or Pattern location. See Loading a SMF file on pages 247-248 of the XF Reference Manual for details.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2021 @ 04:25 PM
southpoint
Total Posts:  24
Joined  05-01-2006

Thx - that is exactly what I needed. I guess the ref manual is proving to be very valuable. Thx for your patience.
IW

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2021 @ 05:30 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
southpoint - 04 February 2021 04:25 PM

Thx - that is exactly what I needed. I guess the ref manual is proving to be very valuable. Thx for your patience.
IW

No Problem.

Yes - while the Owner’s Manual provides basic operational guidance, the Reference Manual fills in the functional details.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Quantize details
Next Topic:

pattern mode progression ››