mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Quantize details"

Posted on: February 03, 2021 @ 10:41 AM
southpoint
Total Posts:  24
Joined  05-01-2006

When quantizing to real-time record - what do the various options (numbers) and the added symbol represent? The 1st option is a 60 with what looks like a 32nd note. So - what does the 60 mean? Quantizing to a 32nd note should mean for a 4/4 measure...shouldn’t it mean 32 discrete quantized positions for the measure?

Then, if I go to the next option, it is a 16th note ... and then a symbol I don’t recognize… then a 80. What is the added symbol supposed to be? It looks like a stack of cards. Similarly - I’m not sure what the 80 means.

Initially, I was trying to simply record a triplet hi-hat over a 4/4 beat. I had to experiment with all the quantizing options to figure out that the 80 with the added symbol provided what I needed.

Thx
IW

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2021 @ 12:15 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The Motif sequencer has a resolution of 480 PPQN (Parts Per Quarter Note). The number is the note length, based on 480 PPQN. A 32nd note is one eighth the length of a quarter note, or 60 parts long. An eighth note is half the length of a quarter note, so 1/2 of 480, or 240 parts. Etc.

The symbol you don’t recognize, a 3 with a bar over it, indicates a note triplet.

See (14) Quantize (Record Quantize) on page 146 of the XF Reference Manual for details. If you’re unfamiliar with a triplet, Google “note triplet”.

If you don’t have the Reference Manual, you can download it:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/4/323564/motifxf_en_rm_a0.pdf

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2021 @ 11:49 AM
southpoint
Total Posts:  24
Joined  05-01-2006

Thx - that was helpful. I’m very familiar with a triplet - but the tiny low resolution “3” and bar on top totally escaped me from a graphical perspective.

Thx for the link to the reference manual. I had a 2nd hand paper copy - but the pdf is much better.
Thx
IW

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2021 @ 05:20 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
southpoint - 04 February 2021 11:49 AM

Thx - that was helpful. I’m very familiar with a triplet - but the tiny low resolution “3” and bar on top totally escaped me from a graphical perspective.

Thx for the link to the reference manual. I had a 2nd hand paper copy - but the pdf is much better.
Thx
IW

You’re welcome.

I included the triplet reference because it’s often hard to know the depth of a poster’s musical knowledge, and these threads are usually read by numerous people having varying levels of understanding.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ File button (Problem SOLVED)
Next Topic:

computer midi to motif xf song sequence? ››