mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Right mono sounds superior to Left mono output"

Posted on: January 15, 2021 @ 09:02 PM
mnchvz
Total Posts:  4
Joined  11-30-2020

Hello, I’m back with another question. I’ve been testing around my moxf8 and I’ve noticed that when it comes particularly to piano sounds such as the full concert grand, if I utilize the right output only it sounds much more clearer and brighter than using the left/mono side. To understand my setup I’ve been doing tests with i have a ts cable going directly to the input my Samson auro speaker. From what I hear mono is the best choice when playing live so I am wondering as to why running mono from the right side sounds better than the dedicated left/mono side. So to summarize if I take mono from the right side the piano sounds much more crisp, cleaner, and brighter, whereas if I take mono from the left jack it sounds much more dull and muddy.

Thanks guys, this fourm has been and is truly a blessing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2021 @ 11:04 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I’m going to avoid the issue of whether mono or stereo is more appropriate for live performance, since that decision is dependent on the venue and other factors.

The L/MONO output is called that because if nothing is plugged into the R output, the L/MONO provides a mono mix of the left and right signals. This is due to the R jack having built-in switch contacts, which are closed when no plug is inserted, connecting the right signal (along with the left signal) to the L/MONO jack.

With many stereo Voices, that mixing results in a degree of phase cancellation, typically affecting higher frequencies more than lower ones. It’s often particularly noticeable with piano. In addition, panning can place the lower end of the key range more prominently in the left channel.

Therefore when the L/MONO output is used as the sole source, it can sound less bright than the R output.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2021 @ 04:01 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

That’s quite interesting and a pretty important tip/hack, I would think. I realize such things are subjective, but I assumed the RT channel all by itself was to be avoided cause the sonic quality would be compromised, thus the L/Mono jack.

IF it’s Mono that bit of extra brightness is likely what you’re WANTING if you’re trying to make the piano cut through a little better in a live performance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2021 @ 04:39 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 16 January 2021 04:01 PM

That’s quite interesting and a pretty important tip/hack, I would think. I realize such things are subjective, but I assumed the RT channel all by itself was to be avoided cause the sonic quality would be compromised, thus the L/Mono jack.

IF it’s Mono that bit of extra brightness is likely what you’re WANTING if you’re trying to make the piano cut through a little better in a live performance.

What can be missing by using only the R output could be the lower frequency notes, the degree of which depending on how things are panned.

You can also try the left channel as a mono source by itself. That’s done by connecting to the L/MONO jack, while having a cable plugged into the R jack (but not connecting its other end to anything), thereby eliminating any contribution from the right channel.

Since what works best is dependent on several factors, including personal preference, don’t be afraid to experiment.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2021 @ 02:50 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016
muscarella - 16 January 2021 04:01 PM

I have had to play in mono at my last two churches, and the right output is always superior. Any time I have to use mono I use the right output, for the reasons 5pinDIN outlined - to avoid the mono summing. I find this is also effective on other brands of keyboard as well, probably because the same issue is present when summing to mono.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Convert 4/4 to cut-time 4/4
Next Topic:

Mox flash ››