mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Explanation regarding sustain"

Posted on: November 20, 2020 @ 09:13 PM
PeteParsons
Total Posts:  144
Joined  08-21-2020

Having the original motif, then the ES, and now the XS, Im surprised Yamaha never included the sustain feature when switching to another voice. Does the XF have it? This is such an important feature. Really surprised the XS doesn’t have it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2020 @ 12:58 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

If by “sustain feature” you’re referring to what we call “seamless switching”, then not only does the XF have it, so does the XS. You can switch between up to 16 Voices.

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_mixing_setup_for_multiple_sounds_live

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2020 @ 10:17 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

Unless I missed something in your link, I was referring to Voice or Performance modes where you could seamlessly switch from one voice to another letting the previous voice continue to sustain while switching to a new voice. The link seems to be referring to song or pattern more. While playing live, it would be an invaluable feature.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2020 @ 10:26 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

I reread the link. Sounds like a lot of work, especially as other keyboards can do it very simply. Can you give me a clearer understanding of what they mean by mixing program?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2020 @ 10:29 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
PeteParsons - 21 November 2020 10:17 PM

Unless I missed something in your link, I was referring to Voice or Performance modes where you could seamlessly switch from one voice to another letting the previous voice continue to sustain while switching to a new voice. The link seems to be referring to song or pattern more. While playing live, it would be an invaluable feature.

Song/Pattern are the Motif’s multitimbral modes, where Mixings can allow for switching seamlessly between sounds. If you’re playing gigs, then you likely have a play list. Each Mixing can have up to 16 Voices, and most players find that’s a sufficient number to cover their needs before the short break needed to select the next Mixing if necessary.

If you dismissed the support article without trying what it covers, you might want to reconsider.

Otherwise, indeed, Voice and Performance modes don’t have that capability.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2020 @ 10:43 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
PeteParsons - 21 November 2020 10:26 PM

I reread the link. Sounds like a lot of work, especially as other keyboards can do it very simply. Can you give me a clearer understanding of what they mean by mixing program?

If you have any of the factory demo Songs loaded,
Press [SONG], press [MIXING],
play the keyboard (don’t start the sequence),
press numbered buttons to select other Parts (Voices).

You can create a Mixing of your own - start with an unused Song or Pattern location, go into Mixing mode, and edit any or all of the 16 Parts to select Voices you want to switch between.

It’s not difficult - I suggest that you try it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2020 @ 06:42 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

I haven’t dismissed it. Re thinking it, it’s not as bad as I originally thought. It just a little disappointing as other keyboards have it worked into their basic voice modes. I suppose if you want to use a 4 part performance, that will require 4 of the 16 tracks in one song. Correct?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2020 @ 05:32 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

No, a PERFORMANCE is a PERFORMANCE.  It’s a different MODE than a SONG, and PERFORMANCE locations are different than SONG or PATTERN locations.

You could certainly move a PERFORMANCE into a SONG or PATTERN, but then you would have two distinct entities...both a PERFORMANCE and a SONG (you are not required to keep them both for the other to function on its own). 

Yes, if you move a PERFORMANCE into a SONG or PATTERN, you would be using (4) of the PARTS (out of 16 possible) in that associated SONG/PATTERN MIXING.

In a PERFORMANCE, you will not have the ability to seamlessly switch between the (up to) 4 PARTS (VOICES)...although there are distinct techniques to use the PARTS singularly while playing live.

In a SONG or PATTERN MIXING you can switch seamlessly, as has been noted.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2020 @ 05:42 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Double post

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2020 @ 03:29 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

Yes, that’s what I was referring to. By putting a performance in song mode, it would take up 4 tracks. I thought I made that clear in my earlier post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2020 @ 10:35 AM
yahhamm
Total Posts:  114
Joined  01-22-2010

Morning, I play xs6 and xs7.  Use both Performance (4 voice) and Song (16 voice) modes.

To use “seamless switching” in Performance Mode, I assign 4 voices to the 4 sliders. Let’s say Piano, B3, Strings, and Aah Choir.

The voice that is used the “most” is assigned to Slider 1/Part 1 in Edit Screen.  Voice used the least is assigned to Slider 4/Part 4.

Slider #1 = Piano, Slider #2 = B3, Slider #3 = Strings, and Slider #4 = Aah Choir

As each of the 4 voices is needed/not needed in a song, I am increasing/decreasing the sound level of that voice with my left hand manipulating the required slider(s) to affect the voice.

Yes, I end up playing the voices with just my right hand because my left hand is “conducting” the voices at the sliders. And most of that conducting is done with Sliders #3/#4.

Works nicely and there is less splitting of the board because the volume of a voice is controlled by the slider.

Also less programming than in Song Mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2020 @ 08:44 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

That’s a great idea. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 12, 2020 @ 09:32 AM
yahhamm
Total Posts:  114
Joined  01-22-2010

One thing to remember: Having pulled up the performance that you are about to play, “refresh” the four sliders from the previous performance.  Pull all sliders down to “0”, then push them all back up to “10”, and then set the sliders for the new performance.  Otherwise the previous settings will be the one’s that influence your current performance.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ [Solved] Backing up an XS8
Next Topic:

Motif XS8 Vocoder/Mic as Audio. ››