mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS6 and Sipario MIDI router"

Posted on: November 16, 2020 @ 03:25 PM
ronweb1
Total Posts:  30
Joined  12-31-2005

Hi,

I recently bought a Sipario MIDI router (manufactured by Lab4 Music). I want to hook both up via USB cable. I use the USB-B to Host and the USB-A to the Sipario. The Sipario recognizes the Motif XS6 but no signal is coming in/going out. The manual of the Motif XS says the USB to Host is meant to connect to PC (alone)? Now I have both hooked up by the 5 Pin midicables andthey function.

My question is if USB to Host can’t be used in combination with the Sipario MIDI router?

Hope someone can help me out with this,

with kind regards,
Ron Weber
The Netherlands

Image Attachments
sipario 1.pngsipario-front.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2020 @ 04:06 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Even if the Sipario device can act as a host, there’s another issue - the XS isn’t USB “class compliant”. The Motif’s TO HOST connection has to be to a host device (computer) which has the appropriate USB MIDI Driver installed on it.

You said “The Sipario recognizes the Motif XS6...”.
What indication is there of such recognition?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2020 @ 06:11 AM
ronweb1
Joined  12-31-2005

Hi 5pinDIN,

Thanks for your reply. When the Sipario recognizes the USB it sounds a “Beep”; the Motif does that so that is why I spoke of “recognition”. But I think your answer has made clear that the XS isn’t “class compliant”. I already thought that that was the reason.

I have another question. I got this as sysex string to identify the Motif XS6 on the Sipario: F0 43 10 7F 12 0A 00 01 0n F7. Do you know if this is the correct string to change the modes (voice, performance, pattern, song and master) via the Sipario?

Hope to hear from you,

kind regards,
Ron

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2020 @ 08:11 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ronweb1 - 17 November 2020 06:11 AM

Hi 5pinDIN,

Thanks for your reply.

You’re welcome.

ronweb1 -

When the Sipario recognizes the USB it sounds a “Beep”; the Motif does that so that is why I spoke of “recognition”. But I think your answer has made clear that the XS isn’t “class compliant”. I already thought that that was the reason.

I have another question. I got this as sysex string to identify the Motif XS6 on the Sipario: F0 43 10 7F 12 0A 00 01 0n F7. Do you know if this is the correct string to change the modes (voice, performance, pattern, song and master) via the Sipario?

That SysEx is almost correct, but it’s for the Motif XF, not the XS. The fifth byte, “12”, is the XF model identifier - for the XS that should instead be “03”.

To select the Mode on an XS (set as device #1), send:
F0 43 10 7F 03 0A 00 01 0n F7
where…
n=0 Voice mode
n=1 Performance mode
n=2 Pattern mode
n=3 Song mode
n=4 Master mode

If you don’t already have them, the two Data Lists for the XS could be helpful in dealing with MIDI. They’re available in PDF form:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/4/335014/motifxs_en_dl_c0.pdf
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/334779/motifxs_en_dl2_b0.pdf

The Bank Select table on page 56 of the first XS Data List has important information about MIDI messages for changing Program numbers in the various modes. Just ask if you need further help with that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2020 @ 01:33 PM
ronweb1
Joined  12-31-2005
5pinDIN - 17 November 2020 08:11 AM
ronweb1 - 17 November 2020 06:11 AM

Hi 5pinDIN,

Thanks for your reply.

You’re welcome.

ronweb1 -

When the Sipario recognizes the USB it sounds a “Beep”; the Motif does that so that is why I spoke of “recognition”. But I think your answer has made clear that the XS isn’t “class compliant”. I already thought that that was the reason.

That SysEx is almost correct, but it’s for the Motif XF, not the XS. The fifth byte, “12”, is the XF model identifier - for the XS that should instead be “03”.

To select the Mode on an XS (set as device #1), send:
F0 43 10 7F 03 0A 00 01 0n F7
where…
n=0 Voice mode
n=1 Performance mode
n=2 Pattern mode
n=3 Song mode
n=4 Master mode

If you don’t already have them, the two Data Lists for the XS could be helpful in dealing with MIDI. They’re available in PDF form:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/4/335014/motifxs_en_dl_c0.pdf
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/334779/motifxs_en_dl2_b0.pdf

The Bank Select table on page 56 of the first XS Data List has important information about MIDI messages for changing Program numbers in the various modes. Just ask if you need further help with that.

Hi,
Thanks again. I found out about the sysex on Yamaha USA so that issue is solved and my Sipario does the program changes from voice to perform etc. I have to dive into the (for me mysterious) world of MIDI. I’m Dutch so sometimes I have some difficulties reading (and understanding) English but so far, so good.
For now I’m wondering how I can stop a performance to play with a command from the Sipario. I’m going to look that up in the Datalist, which I got with my XS from the previous owner. I hope I can figure that out.
I’m very glad you are willing to help me with all this stuff and I really appreciate your help.

With kind regards,
Ron

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2020 @ 03:06 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ronweb1 - 17 November 2020 01:33 PM

[...]
For now I’m wondering how I can stop a performance to play with a command from the Sipario. I’m going to look that up in the Datalist, which I got with my XS from the previous owner. I hope I can figure that out.

Just to make sure we’re discussing the same thing…
By “stop a performance to play” are you referring to Arps when in Performance mode (PERFORM button on), or do you mean a Song or Pattern playing?

ronweb1 -

I’m very glad you are willing to help me with all this stuff and I really appreciate your help.

With kind regards,
Ron

No problem, I’m glad to help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 18, 2020 @ 06:13 AM
ronweb1
Joined  12-31-2005
5pinDIN - 17 November 2020 03:06 PM
ronweb1 - 17 November 2020 01:33 PM

[...]

Just to make sure we’re discussing the same thing…
By “stop a performance to play” are you referring to Arps when in Performance mode (PERFORM button on), or do you mean a Song or Pattern playing?

ronweb1 -

With kind regards,
Ron

No problem, I’m glad to help.

Hi 5pinDin,

yes, I mean to stop the arpeggiators to play; not song or pattern.
Hope this makes my request a bit clear.

Greetings,
Ron

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 18, 2020 @ 09:51 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ronweb1 - 18 November 2020 06:13 AM

Hi 5pinDin,

Greetings,
Ron

Yes, quite clear.

Here’s SysEx:
F0 43 10 7F 03 30 30 03 0n F7
where…
n = 0 is Arp Switch off
n = 1 is Arp Switch on

The above comes from the Data List. Here’s how:
See (3-5-3-1) NATIVE PARAMETER CHANGE, MODE CHANGE on page 54 of the XS Data List. That shows how to “wrap” the address and data bytes from the Parameter Change tables into a SysEx message. Parameter Change addresses for Performance Common begin on page 60 of the Data List, with the ARP Switch address bytes (30 30 03) and data byte (0 or 1) in the second table on page 61.

If you send the above SysEx while a Performance is selected, you should see the LED of the Arpeggio ON/OFF button change state.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 18, 2020 @ 12:30 PM
ronweb1
Joined  12-31-2005
5pinDIN - 18 November 2020 09:51 AM
ronweb1 - 18 November 2020 06:13 AM

Hi 5pinDin,

Greetings,
Ron

Yes, quite clear.

Here’s SysEx:
F0 43 10 7F 03 30 30 03 0n F7
where…
n = 0 is Arp Switch off
n = 1 is Arp Switch on

The above comes from the Data List. Here’s how:
See (3-5-3-1) NATIVE PARAMETER CHANGE, MODE CHANGE on page 54 of the XS Data List. That shows how to “wrap” the address and data bytes from the Parameter Change tables into a SysEx message. Parameter Change addresses for Performance Common begin on page 60 of the Data List, with the ARP Switch address bytes (30 30 03) and data byte (0 or 1) in the second table on page 61.

If you send the above SysEx while a Performance is selected, you should see the LED of the Arpeggio ON/OFF button change state.

Hi 5pinDin,

many, many thanks for your reply. I have done as told by you AND IT WORKS!! I’m very glad with your help and now I know where to look in my Data List.
I thank you again and I will dive in the Data List,

Greeting,
Ron

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 18, 2020 @ 01:09 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ronweb1 - 18 November 2020 12:30 PM

Hi 5pinDin,

many, many thanks for your reply. I have done as told by you AND IT WORKS!! I’m very glad with your help and now I know where to look in my Data List.

Greeting,
Ron

You’re quite welcome, I’m glad that the SysEx did the trick.

It’s definitely worth the time to explore the Data Lists. Not everything in a Motif can be controlled via MIDI, but much can. If something is unclear, post again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2020 @ 03:33 PM
ronweb1
Joined  12-31-2005
5pinDIN - 18 November 2020 01:09 PM
ronweb1 - 18 November 2020 12:30 PM

Hi 5pinDin,

Greeting,
Ron

You’re quite welcome, I’m glad that the SysEx did the trick.

It’s definitely worth the time to explore the Data Lists. Not everything in a Motif can be controlled via MIDI, but much can. If something is unclear, post again.

Hi,
I’m wondering if I can control arpeggiators asigned to voices (drumvoices for example), like the on/off command in Performance mode. I dive in the Data list, but it’s a bit confusing for me. I just recently started to getting to know more of MIDI. I retired last year and now I have more time to get more familiar with my XS6. I have tried this command: F0 43 10 7F 03 40 30 0D 01.
My Motif XS doesn’t recognize the command, but I think it is totally wrong. What I want to accomplish is to play the arps of (drum) voices, f.e. voice 1 (Powerkit 1), MSB 63 / LSB 32.

You wrote that “not everything can be controlled via MIDI” in the Motif, so maybe that is what happens here?

Hope you can help me out with this,

Greetings,
Ron

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2020 @ 06:25 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ronweb1 - 19 November 2020 03:33 PM

Hi,
I’m wondering if I can control arpeggiators asigned to voices (drumvoices for example), like the on/off command in Performance mode. I dive in the Data list, but it’s a bit confusing for me. I just recently started to getting to know more of MIDI. I retired last year and now I have more time to get more familiar with my XS6. I have tried this command: F0 43 10 7F 03 40 30 0D 01.
My Motif XS doesn’t recognize the command, but I think it is totally wrong.

There are some issues, but it’s not totally wrong.
1) SysEx messages begin with F0. They end with F7, which you omitted. Add F7 to the end of your message.
2) Turning on the Arp Switch isn’t sufficient to start an Arp, a note has to also be played. That can be done either by pressing a key on the Motif, or via MIDI - after the SysEx, send a “Note-on” command. (Here’s some info: http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tech/midispec/noteon.htm) For example, you could send 90 3C 7F, which is Note 60(middle C) “on” at full velocity 127. The Arp will keep playing until it either receives a “Note-off” command (as long as “Hold” isn’t on), or using the SysEx to turn the Arp Switch off.

ronweb1 -

What I want to accomplish is to play the arps of (drum) voices, f.e. voice 1 (Powerkit 1), MSB 63 / LSB 32.

You wrote that “not everything can be controlled via MIDI” in the Motif, so maybe that is what happens here?

Greetings,
Ron

The SysEx you posted is for a Normal Voice. Drum Voices require a slightly different message. See the second table on page 68 of the XS Data List. The first address byte should be 46 (not 40) for Drum Voices. so…
F0 43 10 7F 03 46 30 0D 01 F7
...will turn on the Arp Switch for a Drum Voice.

For the Arp to start, a Note-on command still has to be received by the Motif, same as for a Normal Voice - see above.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2020 @ 06:26 AM
ronweb1
Joined  12-31-2005
5pinDIN - 19 November 2020 06:25 PM
ronweb1 - 19 November 2020 03:33 PM

Hi,
My Motif XS doesn’t recognize the command, but I think it is totally wrong.

There are some issues, but it’s not totally wrong.
1) SysEx messages begin with F0. They end with F7, which you omitted. Add F7 to the end of your message.
2) Turning on the Arp Switch isn’t sufficient to start an Arp, a note has to also be played. That can be done either by pressing a key on the Motif, or via MIDI - after the SysEx, send a “Note-on” command. (Here’s some info: http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tech/midispec/noteon.htm) For example, you could send 90 3C 7F, which is Note 60(middle C) “on” at full velocity 127. The Arp will keep playing until it either receives a “Note-off” command (as long as “Hold” isn’t on), or using the SysEx to turn the Arp Switch off.

ronweb1 -

What I want to accomplish is to play the arps of (drum) voices, f.e. voice 1 (Powerkit 1), MSB 63 / LSB 32.

Greetings,
Ron

The SysEx you posted is for a Normal Voice. Drum Voices require a slightly different message. See the second table on page 68 of the XS Data List. The first address byte should be 46 (not 40) for Drum Voices. so…
F0 43 10 7F 03 46 30 0D 01 F7
...will turn on the Arp Switch for a Drum Voice.

For the Arp to start, a Note-on command still has to be received by the Motif, same as for a Normal Voice - see above.

Hi 5pinDin,

thanks again. I left the F0 and the F7 away because I don’t have to give them in the string on the Sipario. I’m glad I was almost right with the sysexstring. I think I begin to understand a little bit more of the Data List. I’m glad with all the help i got from you,
Greetings,
Ron

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2020 @ 10:21 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ronweb1 - 20 November 2020 06:26 AM

Hi 5pinDin,

thanks again.

No problem.

ronweb1 -

I left the F0 and the F7 away because I don’t have to give them in the string on the Sipario.

I mentioned F0/F7 because although the Sipario doesn’t need them, others reading this thread might want to use the SysEx with other devices and shouldn’t omit them.

ronweb1 -

I’m glad I was almost right with the sysexstring. I think I begin to understand a little bit more of the Data List. I’m glad with all the help i got from you,
Greetings,
Ron

It’s good to see your progress with the Data list. Have fun.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Power Up Problem Motif XS7
Next Topic:

[Solved] Backing up an XS8 ››