mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Flash memory not working"

Posted on: November 08, 2020 @ 04:57 AM
Sevano
Total Posts:  18
Joined  08-21-2016

Was deleting all files in the flash memory. It took like forever and i thought the system was hang. So did a power reset and true enough, as i read somewhere against this, the flash memory board no longer shows up.

Tried dismounting and remounting, switched between FL1 and FL2, but no success. Think the board is screwed.

Lesson to all, never power down when performing procedures on the flash memory! This thing can get fried easily.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2020 @ 12:45 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Don’t give up quite yet. I don’t have time right now to get into this, but hopefully later today I’ll offer some suggestions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2020 @ 06:49 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The XF has built-in diagnostic tests. The details are in the Service Manual, available here:
https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_motif_xf6_xf7_xf8.pdf/download.html

I suggest that you first create a backup “All” file.

Next, since you removed the flash memory module, make sure that it’s properly installed in the connector (slot) for FL1. The Service Manual tests for the module indicate that the mounting screws can be left loose, but in my experience an unsecured or improperly mounted module may malfunction. See pages 76-77 of the XF Owner’s Manual, in particular steps 4-2 and 4-3 on page 77.

Test Program information begins on page 99 of the XF Service Manual. The flash module test procedure (T00-2) begins on page 102. Read carefully, and run the tests if you feel comfortable doing it. If you leave the test data on the module, test T18 for the module interface (see pages 120-121) can also be run.

Although there’s no guarantee of success, I’ve found that some previously unresponsive modules work after running the diagnostics.

If you go ahead, please post the test results.

Note:
If anyone is not having problems with their flash memory modules, do yourself a favor and don’t run diagnostic tests - you may create problems that didn’t previously exist.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2020 @ 10:14 PM
Sevano
Joined  08-21-2016

Ah, was still feeling lousy this morning over my stupidity. But the moment I read your reply it gave me hope of resurrecting the flashboard! Thanks 5pinDIN. Will perform the diagnostic test later in the day. Unlikely due to installation tho, as I checked many times during my attempts to revive it. Btw, mine is a Mutec flashboard, not the orignal yamaha one. I have another 1gb yamaha board.
Will report back.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2020 @ 01:10 AM
Sevano
Joined  08-21-2016

So I tried the test mode… no luck. Says “No expansion module”. Did according to the service manual: Slotted the flashboard into FL1, went into Expansion Module test mode, pressed enter and no result. Its like the xf cant even read the presence of the flashboard. The DM circuit board is definitely working as I have used my other working flashboard without issues.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2020 @ 01:26 AM
Sevano
Joined  08-21-2016

Pic of the screen

Image Attachments
rsz_1rsz_20201109_113251.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2020 @ 08:30 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Sevano - 09 November 2020 01:10 AM

So I tried the test mode… no luck. Says “No expansion module”. Did according to the service manual: Slotted the flashboard into FL1, went into Expansion Module test mode, pressed enter and no result. Its like the xf cant even read the presence of the flashboard. The DM circuit board is definitely working as I have used my other working flashboard without issues.

It’s unfortunate that Test Mode can’t find the module. I suggest that you contact Mutec, since the warning about not powering down during a flash operation usually refers to loss/corruption of data, not complete failure.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2020 @ 09:44 AM
Sevano
Joined  08-21-2016

Even tried spraying some contact cleaner thinking it could be due to poor contacts but that didnt work either. Will try reaching out to mutec as suggested. Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ USB drive removal protocol
Next Topic:

Save single performance on XF to thumb drive ››