mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Hi Hat Sounds in MOXF vs DTX500 and Cymbals in General"

Posted on: October 24, 2020 @ 01:43 AM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I have an MOXF. I also have a DTX500 Drum Kit.

I am trying once again to use the DTX Drums to directly sequence Drum parts into the MOXF. I suspect the DTX itself is not running properly, cause of the many problems I’m having but in fiddling around trying to assign sounds I’m noting that the DTX has a specific sound for the Hi Hat Splash action (tapping on the pedal so they splash instead of click closed)and the MOXF doesn’t. Or at least I can’t identify one, so I’m using the Hi Hat Open patch for the Hi Hat Splash sound and the Hi Hat Open sound.

I’m kind of surprised, though, that the MOXF wouldn’t have the same things (or even better) then on an old DTX500. So I’m wondering if I’m confused. There seems to be just three Hi Hat sounds in the MOXF, Click of the pedal closing, Stick Hit Closed and Open with both “cymbals” interacting. You could make the case, and I will, that the sound of a partially closed Hi Hat being hit with a stick is different then the sound of the Hi Hat cymbals being splashed with no stick involved.

On the subject of cymbals, I’m also wanting to customize the pitch, decay, etc on the MOXF cymbals and wishing it was as easy to do as on the DTX. But maybe it IS and I’m merely displaying my ignorance. I’ve never done more than use the Preset Drum Kits and occasionally I’ll split out the drums and assign a snare from the Snares Only Kit. But there is no similar Cymbals only kit, correct?

Feedback encouraged!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2020 @ 09:05 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

As far as I know, there’s not a specific Hi-Hat splash Preset Waveform in the MOXF. However, you might find something adequate for your needs. Have you listened to A#1 in the Nu Jazzy Kit (PDR 67)? It uses Waveform 3595 “NJz Open 1-2 St”, and Waveforms 3596~3606 could be substituted if one of them seems a better choice. Several of these Waveforms have velocity-switched samples, so key velocity will make a difference - I suggest playing the MOXF keyboard for auditioning. Also, setting the Attack Time to other than 0(zero) can significantly change the character of the sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2020 @ 06:52 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

OK. I will check it out. My goal is to simply have my DTX500 as a controller that I can hop on and play some or all of a drum part but hear it as an MOXF voice. But since I noticed DTX500 had a Hi Hat splash I’ve got to put SOMETHING in for that sound. Is there an article or thread that goes into detail about creating a custom drum kit? I’d also like to customize which key the keyboard triggers the sound so I can also do some things with fingers. For instance, two white keys that are the same sample so I can do double stick and flams as such.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2020 @ 11:14 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

There really isn’t much detail to go into if you just want to copy a drum sound from one Key location to another, either within the same drum Voice/kit or from one Voice to another. You can select the Source and Destination Voices, and the Key for each. See Voice Job on page 52 of the MOXF Reference Manual, [F3]COPY.

You might want the first step to be choosing a Preset Drum Voice closest to what you need, storing it in a User Drum Voice location. That would become the Destination Voice to be customized using the Copy Job.

[ Ignore ]