mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Voice Sound DIFFERENT when place in a Song BUT……..!"

Posted on: September 12, 2020 @ 09:18 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I have seen this explained over and over on these Forums and I STILL don’t entirely understand how to MAKE SURE I’m getting the exact same sound characteristics of the Voice when it gets put into a Song channel.

So today something happened that I’m hoping might provide some insight once it is explained to me what actually happened.

I am always careful to make sure I toggle to ON at the bottom of every channel as I assign Voices to a Song AND then I also toggle the Voice number up and down once to “set it”. I’m anal about this after 7 years

So I’ve got the exact Voice assigned to Channel 2 that I do in Channel 16. I do this because I’m using a programmed MIDI file and I like to keep a reference for the part I will likely be taking over and when I’ve got it down I will Mute that channel and turn the Volume down. But that way its handy.

So at the moment I’ve got Channel 2 solo’d and I’m listening to the sequenced part and the sound is SO much better then what’s been coming out when I play I play Channel 16. It seems to be mostly about the Reverb and Chorus settings, 2 sounds full, 16 sounds wimpy. So I’m thinking, “Damn, I haven’t tweaked either Voice and both got assigned in the same way, yet one is “the” Voice and the other is lame.”

So on a lark I hit JOB, then TRACK, then EXCHANGE TRACK. I switch them and now Channel 16 sounds nice and full and Channel 2 sounds lame. So where is this wimpy sound coming from? And logically, why WOULD using TRACK EXCHANGE “honor” the lame version?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2020 @ 07:47 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 12 September 2020 09:18 PM

I have seen this explained over and over on these Forums and I STILL don’t entirely understand how to MAKE SURE I’m getting the exact same sound characteristics of the Voice when it gets put into a Song channel.

So today something happened that I’m hoping might provide some insight once it is explained to me what actually happened.

I am always careful to make sure I toggle to ON at the bottom of every channel as I assign Voices to a Song AND then I also toggle the Voice number up and down once to “set it”. I’m anal about this after 7 years

So I’ve got the exact Voice assigned to Channel 2 that I do in Channel 16. I do this because I’m using a programmed MIDI file and I like to keep a reference for the part I will likely be taking over and when I’ve got it down I will Mute that channel and turn the Volume down. But that way its handy.

So at the moment I’ve got Channel 2 solo’d and I’m listening to the sequenced part and the sound is SO much better then what’s been coming out when I play I play Channel 16. It seems to be mostly about the Reverb and Chorus settings, 2 sounds full, 16 sounds wimpy. So I’m thinking, “Damn, I haven’t tweaked either Voice and both got assigned in the same way, yet one is “the” Voice and the other is lame.”

It’s difficult to tell where your problem is. Not using the correct Yamaha nomenclature makes it harder to tease out the situation. For example, Voices are placed in Parts, not Channels. A Track is what you Solo, not a Channel. Just because Parts, Tracks, and MIDI Channels may be numbered identically by default doesn’t mean they’re the same thing.

One possible cause of what you described is failing to properly use “Parameter with Voice”. However, since you mentioned effects ("Reverb and Chorus"), another possibility is not recognizing that a maximum of eight Parts in a Mixing can have Insert Effects active at any particular time. With the Mix selected, Common Edit, [F6]EFFECT > [SF2]INS SW (Insertion Effect Switch) will allow you to determine which eight of the possible 16 Parts can have those effects turned on.

EDIT: Also, in Mixing Part Edit, each Part can independently have its Reverb and Chorus Send levels set…
[F2]OUTPUT > [SF2]EF SEND (Effect Send)

muscarella -

So on a lark I hit JOB, then TRACK, then EXCHANGE TRACK. I switch them and now Channel 16 sounds nice and full and Channel 2 sounds lame. So where is this wimpy sound coming from? And logically, why WOULD using TRACK EXCHANGE “honor” the lame version?

Simply put, “Exchange Track” swaps the data contained in the two Tracks.

Perhaps an analogy will help…
You get up early one day, and it’s still dark. You get dressed, and later in the day notice that you’re wearing a black sock and a brown one. You remove your shoes and swap the positions of the socks (exchanging them), but notice that there’s still one black and one brown one, just on feet opposite to what they were before.

If you want “good” data on two Tracks, use Job “Copy Track” (see page 95 of the MOXF Reference Manual), but note the Insert Effect limitations may be the cause of what you’re experiencing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2020 @ 10:04 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

Sorry for not using the correct terms. I am compulsive about making sure I “set” every Voice in it’s Part after making sure the Parameter with Voice is ON.

Same with being careful how I assign Insertion Effects.

Since it’s possible that Part (not Channel!) 16 did NOT get an Insertion Effect and Part 2 DID I will have to back down for now, cause it may all be pilot error.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]