mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "moXF Song PGM change; from external Sequencer"

Posted on: August 02, 2020 @ 12:04 PM
prosoloact
Total Posts:  8
Joined  06-12-2020

Simple question; how do I change a song preset from my external sequencing software(Cakewalk 2003)? I want to change the song number/preset in my moXF;with the Cakewalk pgm. The Cakewalk is the sequencer(Note on/note off, etc) for each built song. The moXF holds the pre-arranged tracks and sounds for each song. But, I can’t get the Cakewalk to SWITCH songs on the moXF.
The Cakewalk pgm WILL change voice and performance presets on the moXF-but not songs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 02, 2020 @ 03:46 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

Song Select is a MIDI System Common message. It’s comprised of two bytes.
First, the Status Byte…
1) F3 in hex (or 243 decimal)

That’s followed by a Data Byte, the Song Number…
2) 00~7F in hex (0~127 decimal)
For the MOXF, with 64 Songs max, it’s 00~3F in hex (0~63 decimal)

For example…
F3 00 will select the first Song.
F3 20 selects Song 33.

System Common messages are independent of MIDI Channel.

The same message is used to select Pattern number.

See information under the Bank Select table on page 123 of the MOXF Data List (https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/2/330242/moxf6moxf8_en_dl_a0.pdf).

How or if Cakewalk 2003 can send the message is something I’m not familiar with.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 02, 2020 @ 04:17 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

So that Yamaha link has the official Yamaha breakdown of MIDI Common Message in Hex language?

Is it also possible to use MIDI commands within a Song to cue external lighting? I think I read about it once and it seemed like a cool way to automate lighting cues for a gigging trio or duo.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2020 @ 11:58 AM
prosoloact
Joined  06-12-2020

Thanks 5PinDIN!I’m in a seq track right now, trying to enter sys ex data
for the pgm change need. Although hexidecimal data is only read by the moXF; as three digit numbers only. ARGH!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2020 @ 03:09 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
prosoloact - 05 August 2020 11:58 AM

Thanks 5PinDIN!

You’re welcome.

prosoloact -

I’m in a seq track right now, trying to enter sys ex data
for the pgm change need. Although hexidecimal data is only read by the moXF; as three digit numbers only. ARGH!

Unfortunately, as I mentioned previously, I’m unfamiliar with Cakewalk 2003. However, be aware that the two-byte F3 Song Select message is System Common, not SysEx (System Exclusive), and is complete by itself - make sure that what you’re attempting to send isn’t being wrapped in F0...F7.

I don’t know if this will be of help for you or not, but you could try some freeware which claims to be able to send System Common messages:
https://mountainutilities.eu/miditools
Note that I have no experience with the above site or the programs offered there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2020 @ 09:03 PM
prosoloact
Joined  06-12-2020

5pinDIN;
Ok. Thanks. Cakewalk 2003 is a simple sequencing program. It sends a pgm change per song, to the moXF, via selecting a number from 1-127. It’s pre Sonar.

[ Ignore ]