mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Changing Scene Changes Tempo"

Posted on: June 16, 2020 @ 09:04 PM
cal900
Total Posts:  33
Joined  08-12-2013

Greetings - When I change the scene on my Motif XF as the SONG plays, the tempo changes for two measures, then corrects itself.  Specifically, it always changes from tempo 124, then down to 109 upon changing the scene, then back to the correct 124 two measures later at any point in the song.  One track has lengthy audio attached (blue track), and the other is MIDI (yellow track).

Scene 1 opens the MIDI track and mutes the audio track.  Scene 2 opens/mutes the opposite.  This tempo change occurs in both directions.  After searching high and low I haven’t come up with what’s causing this.  Any guesses?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2020 @ 10:29 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

That’s a bit strange, but the Motif is likely doing what it was told to do. Did you start your recording from a blank/cleared Song?

Tempo changes can be recorded to either the Tempo Track or the Scene Track. Based on your description, it would seem that the Scene Track would be more likely to relate to what’s happening. However, if you haven’t already done so, I suggest that you examine both of those tracks and see if there’s a clue to the issue.

These two support articles cover related topics:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xs_xf_tempo_change

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/tweak_of_the_week_scenes_and_track_mutes

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2020 @ 02:17 PM
cal900
Total Posts:  33
Joined  08-12-2013

I so appreciate it 5pinDIN.  The Motif XF was doing exactly what it was told to do.  I just didn’t know where to look until you pointed me in the right direction.  I was examining the info in the scenes link you sent, and the SONG edit pages in the Motif sequence, and voila!  The first two measures had a legacy tempo left over from work in the DAW.

I always work through firewire with my Sequencer Quick Setup on number 3.  Then save the song from the DAW to the Motif as SMF.  That is where my problem started.  Leftovers from the DAW.  The first two measures in the DAW were 109 bpm, which I didn’t catch because they were the buffer measures for this SMF file.

What I’m not clear on is why the scenes call up the first two measures of tempo from anywhere in the song.  Enough of this.  I’ll finish by announcing the cure: delete the first two measures of the tempo track, and insert a new first measure with the correct tempo.

There are an awful lot of people that owe you everything Mr. 5pinDIN!  You take an extraordinary amount of time to explain difficult conditions.  Thank you for contributing to so many Motifians’ successes with your trademark kindness.  We all appreciate it!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2020 @ 02:52 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome, and thanks for the kind words.

I’m glad you were able to locate the cause of the problem and and resolve it. Hopefully your explanation of the resolution will help anyone else who might have something similar happen.

I try to help when I can, probably at least in part because I remember my own initial head-scratching. I had a good grounding in MIDI, and familiarity with other Yamaha synths, but the XS was new territory. I was grateful that when I got the XF it didn’t require much additional education.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ File management program for Motif XS6
Next Topic:

Complete Orchestra Question ››