mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF MIDI Need to transmit specified note range?"

Posted on: June 07, 2020 @ 10:52 PM
ggr343
Total Posts:  12
Joined  10-23-2018

Hi everyone.

I’ve been playing a MOTIF XF7 for several years now.  I pretty much know most of the ins and outs of this wonderful keyboard.

Recently however, I purchased a Roland VT-4 which I now use for vocal harmonies.  The VT-4 will harmonize to my voice as it monitors the keys that I play through a midi connection from my Motif.
I typically play in Performance Mode.  I would like the VT-4 to only follow my right hand to establish the harmony notes. The problem that I have however is that I play bass parts and LH chords on the lower octave keys which has a tendency to create very low, muddy, harmony parts from the VT-4.

I was wondering if there was a way to disable the lower range notes from being transmitted through the midi port to my VT-4 and still be transmitted through the audio out on the Motif.

Any help would be awesome!!

ggr343

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2020 @ 07:29 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

What you’ve asked for can’t be done in Performance mode. However, if you associate the Performance with a zoned Master program, it can.

In Master mode, each Zone can have Note Limits set, and Switches for Internal and External Transmit can be turned on/off. By turning on only the Int Switch for one Zone, and allowing full note range for that Zone, all notes will play the internal sounds. By turning on only the Ext Switch for a second Zone, and limiting the note range for that Zone, external MIDI data can transmit only what you require. See pages 214-215 of the XF Reference Manual for details.

If for some reason that approach isn’t practical, you might consider getting a MIDI event processor, such as…
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2020 @ 09:21 AM
ggr343
Joined  10-23-2018

Thanks 5pinDIN

I’m going to give that a try in Master mode.  I was thinking that perhaps somehow I could also assign a foot pedal to turn MIDI on/off while performing in order to enable/disable the harmonies during the song performance.  The only way I can do that currently is to press a button on the VT-4 to enable/disable harmony in parts of the song.  It is sort of cumbersome while I am playing when I have quickly lift my hand from playing the keyboard to press a button on the VT-4

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2020 @ 05:11 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ggr343 - 08 June 2020 09:21 AM

Thanks 5pinDIN

You’re welcome.

ggr343 -

I’m going to give that a try in Master mode. [...]

As long as Master mode otherwise suits you, the method I described will definitely work. If you have any difficulty in setting that up, let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2020 @ 08:31 PM
ggr343
Joined  10-23-2018

Hello Din5pin

I have got as far as setting a lower note limit on zone 1 that works fine on suppressing the harmonies on the lower notes (transmitted to VT-4 via MIDI), however, I now do not get the audio out from the Motif in that range.  I would like to just suppress the MIDI transmit and allow only the audio out in that lower range.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

ggr343

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2020 @ 11:02 PM
ggr343
Joined  10-23-2018

Basically all I need to do is somehow disable all MIDI key note transmits from D2 and below in any Mode setting for anything and everything I play on my Motif.
An external MIDI event processor may allow me to do that, but I would like to try and find another avenue before I have to purchase a MIDI processor dedicated just for that purpose.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2020 @ 11:16 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You have to set up two Zones.

Since you already have the limited note range set for Zone 1, use that for external MIDI - turn off (uncheck) the Int Switch.

For Zone 2, leave the full note range, and turn on (check) the Int Switch setting - Ext Switch should be off (unchecked) for this Zone. That will allow the internal sounds to play over the full range.

Both Zones can be on the same Transmit Channel (default is “1").

EDIT: I’ve done this with my own XF - it will do exactly what you want if set up correctly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2020 @ 11:22 AM
ggr343
Joined  10-23-2018

Success!!  Works like a charm.

Thanks so much 5pinDIN!!

One last challenge…

I have 4 foot switches connected for various functions.  Sustain, Rotary, Volume, and arpeggio pause. 

It would be great if I could use one of those pedals by temporarily assigning it as a MIDI transmit pause for the particular patch that I am using so that I can turn the harmonies on/off as needed during a song performance.

I have pondered the idea of possibly using an in-line midi switch as well if one exists?

It would be great if I could get my Motif to provide this option.

Thanks
ggr343

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2020 @ 01:43 PM
ggr343
Joined  10-23-2018

Just did a quick check using in-line MIDI switch.  It disables the harmony changes, however, the last harmony sounded still remains.  It does not completely disable the harmony.  That tells me that turning of the MIDI transmit via Motif will not work either.  Looks like I may have to get used to manual on/off by hand.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2020 @ 04:18 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ggr343 - 09 June 2020 11:22 AM

Success!!  Works like a charm.

Thanks so much 5pinDIN!!

You’re welcome, I’m glad that did the trick.

ggr343 -

One last challenge…

I have 4 foot switches connected for various functions.  Sustain, Rotary, Volume, and arpeggio pause. 

It would be great if I could use one of those pedals by temporarily assigning it as a MIDI transmit pause for the particular patch that I am using so that I can turn the harmonies on/off as needed during a song performance.

I have pondered the idea of possibly using an in-line midi switch as well if one exists?

It would be great if I could get my Motif to provide this option.

Thanks
ggr343

As you found out, cutting off MIDI data with a switch can create problems…

ggr343 - 09 June 2020 01:43 PM

Just did a quick check using in-line MIDI switch.  It disables the harmony changes, however, the last harmony sounded still remains.  It does not completely disable the harmony.  That tells me that turning of the MIDI transmit via Motif will not work either.  Looks like I may have to get used to manual on/off by hand.

Notes will “hang” if a “Note-on” message is received without there being a following “Note-off”. What you experienced can be caused by interrupting MIDI data while a transmitted note is being sustained (either by holding down a key or using a sustain pedal) - the receiving device sees a Note-on, but never gets the corresponding Note-off.

So, as an experiment…
If you make sure no notes are being sustained on the XF at the time, will the in-line MIDI switch then cut harmony generation without hanging?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2020 @ 05:26 PM
ggr343
Joined  10-23-2018

No luck with open switch with no notes played.

The VT-4 begins to harmonize as soon as the bypass is disabled on the unit with no keys played.  It continues to harmonize as long as it is enabled.  The only function from the MIDI to the VT-1 is to change the harmony notes.  The VT-1 will only stop harmony when the bypass switch on the VT-1 is set to bypass again. 
It would have been a nice feature if the VT-1 had a foot switch jack to control the harmony on/off.  I think I may have to continue on using the bypass (on/off) push button.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2020 @ 06:32 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I’m a bit confused as to how the VT-4 became a VT-1, but that probably doesn’t matter for this discussion…

Perhaps the footswitch you want would be something for Roland to consider for a VT-5 model.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2020 @ 09:06 PM
ggr343
Joined  10-23-2018

My typo.  Should have been VT-4. 
I guess I’m good for the interim the way I am set up now.  I’ll get used to the bypass button soon enough.  I got used to 4 pedals on the fly, this extra move should be second nature in time.

By the way, thanks so much for solving my first issue with isolating the lower octaves from the MIDI transmit to VT-4!  That was my main concern.
It works like a charm!

You’ve been a great help!
ggr343

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Initialized Voice
Next Topic:

Motif XF8 Drum Effects Work Around ››