mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Setting MIDI channels for each part in MULTI mode."

Posted on: April 13, 2020 @ 02:37 PM
TimHinkley
Total Posts:  1
Joined  04-13-2020

I’m setting up a rig with my Viscount Legend Organ and a Motif ES Rack.
I have successfully got the bass pedals triggering the rack and now I want to get the two keyboards triggering other sounds. So, my question is how do I get the different sounds in a Multi on different MIDI channels? The viscount has two MIDI out ports. Out 1 has upper keys on channel 1, Lower keys on channel 2 and pedals on channel 3.
I have also resurrected an old iMac that can be loaded with the motif voice editor. However , I can’t seem to get the computer to recognize the Motif Rack. As one can only use either the USB or the MIDI ports one at a time not both together or ......
I’ve installed the studio manager...is there something I’m missing?

Rock on
Tim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2020 @ 05:06 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
TimHinkley - 13 April 2020 02:37 PM

I’m setting up a rig with my Viscount Legend Organ and a Motif ES Rack.
I have successfully got the bass pedals triggering the rack and now I want to get the two keyboards triggering other sounds. So, my question is how do I get the different sounds in a Multi on different MIDI channels? The viscount has two MIDI out ports. Out 1 has upper keys on channel 1, Lower keys on channel 2 and pedals on channel 3.

Welcome to the forum.

The four Parts of a Performance are on a single MIDI Receive Channel so that all of them can be played simultaneously. If a Performance is copied to a Multi, the Parts will remain on a single Receive Channel unless the Multi is edited. Multis that haven’t been copied from a Performance default to the Receive Channel being the same as the Part number - that is, Part 1 on Channel 1, Part 2 on Channel 2, etc.

See the Multi mode Part Edit section of the Rack ES Owner’s Manual, page 84, “ReceiveCh”. If you don’t have the manual, it’s available here:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/contents/music_production/downloads/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=music_production&k=motif-rack+es

The attached PDF (link below) should also be helpful.

TimHinkley -

I have also resurrected an old iMac that can be loaded with the motif voice editor. However , I can’t seem to get the computer to recognize the Motif Rack.

Have you installed the proper USB-MIDI Driver? Available here:
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/index.html?c=music_production&k=Motif-Rack+ES

TimHinkley -

As one can only use either the USB or the MIDI ports one at a time not both together or ......
I’ve installed the studio manager...is there something I’m missing?

See Using a computer and an external MIDI keyboard together on page 19 of the Owner’s Manual, in particular the NOTE.

File Attachments
THE_MULTI.pdf  (File Size: 124KB - Downloads: 439)
  [ Ignore ]