mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Gear Recommendation: Non-Yamaha Sounds?"

Posted on: March 06, 2020 @ 06:22 PM
JoeESQ
Total Posts:  3
Joined  10-13-2013

My main equipment is my Motif XF8 and a FS1r; I also have a SY-77 that I don’t really need given the XF8 and the FS1r, and an old Proteus that isn’t even connected, and an old ESQ-1 that I’ll keep for sentimental reasons (my first “real” keyboard, purchased new way-back-when).

It seems like it would be a good idea to add another company’s sounds to the mix.  I’ve looked at the Roland Integra-7 which is loaded, although much of its appeal seems to be the recreation of other instruments, which the XF already does so well.

So, I’m looking for thoughts about what other companies’ sounds/devices might be a good next-addition for variety.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2020 @ 04:42 PM
Michiel D
Total Posts:  191
Joined  11-16-2009

Hi Joe,

I have some synths you mention, the XF6, a Motif ES7 (samples of drums, guitars etc are not as good as the XF but much better keybed so use this a the center of my setup). In addition I have the SY77 - I do think soundwise this synth is much stronger than the XF, but it’s a different sound engine so it’s more of an addition (presets are really bad but becasue of sounds you can get from the internet, for me this is the one synth that will never leave my setup). (I did own a FS1R once but didn’t work for me.. ).

To get more variety I added some analogue synths, the Waldorf Pulse (1) matches well with the Motif/ SY77 (imho) and also a DSI synths adds a different character. Of course now aday you have lots of (new) analogue synths to give a try in your setup. Or a nice VA like a Nord Lead (owned a NR2, really nice, but had to let it go, to many synths .. : )

I did onw lots of other synths but sold some of them because to my ears they didn’t match the Yamaha sound that well (MS20 mini, Kand also Roland JV1080/2080 - great synths on their own).
Of course it all depends on your personal taste, but maybe you get some inspiration to try some things out.
It’s all about the journey :  )

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2020 @ 02:22 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016
JoeEsq - 06 March 2020 06:22 PM

My main equipment is my Motif XF8 and a FS1r; I also have a SY-77 that I don’t really need given the XF8 and the FS1r, and an old Proteus that isn’t even connected, and an old ESQ-1 that I’ll keep for sentimental reasons (my first “real” keyboard, purchased new way-back-when).

It seems like it would be a good idea to add another company’s sounds to the mix.  I’ve looked at the Roland Integra-7 which is loaded, although much of its appeal seems to be the recreation of other instruments, which the XF already does so well.

So, I’m looking for thoughts about what other companies’ sounds/devices might be a good next-addition for variety.

In addition to my Motif XF8, I own several other Yamaha boards, a Korg Krome, a Roland JV-1000, and a Kurzweil PC3. The best complements to the Motif XF soundset are Korg and Kurzweil in my opinion. Korg is strong on the synths and electric pianos, and has a “sheen” to the sounds that works very well in a band context or in music with heavy guitars (i.e. symphonic metal). It’s a more “stylized” sound overall. Kurzweil has a much, much better organ, FM synthesis (in their newest models), and better orchestral and brass sounds. Unbeatable for orchestral in my opinion, though the Motif is pretty good for some things too. Roland doesn’t mix that well with Yamaha in my opinion. Depending on your budget and key requirements, you may want to look at previous flagships which would be cheaper now. Not much in way of rack modules now.

[ Ignore ]