mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Signal levels A/D and internal"

Posted on: March 03, 2020 @ 11:26 AM
Hank_Buchek
Total Posts:  54
Joined  12-02-2013

Even after having read Phils comprehensive introductions into basic audio recordings (volume 1 to 34 or so...), a question remains on my side.

Let’s say, in a performance I make use of a microphone hooked to the A/D input. Direct monitor switch is on, as this gives a strong signal of my voice into my earbuds ... and here’s the problem (thus the question): how can I decrease the volume the microphone delivers back to my earbuds? My singing is so loud I hardly hear the rest of the beautifull music :-), so how can I seperately control the volumes of the internal parts and the A/D?

I am aware I could decrease the A/D gain knob in the upper left, but this again will lower the signal that will be delivered to my DAW, which is not what I want.

I know I can switch off the “direct monitor” switch and press the monitor button in my DAW to re-route the signal back to the MoXF via USB, but that again isn’t loud enough…

Anything I missed here? Many thanks in advance!

And a big thank again to Phil for providing all those articles (maybe he still does read these forum posts staying quiet in the backgrounds)!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2020 @ 06:03 AM
Hank_Buchek
Total Posts:  54
Joined  12-02-2013

Ok, after digging and trying I found it, it was just a very little piece I missed:

- set the “direct monitor” switch to ‘off’ for the A/D part ( Utility-Modus / F5)
- within the DAW there should be a monitor switch for your audio tracks, within Cubase there’s a small speaker symbol for each track; switch it to ‘on’for the track where you’re recording your A/D signal
- now the volume of the A/D signal is routed into the DAW and from there back to your MOXF, thus your speakers / earbuds, and that volume can be adjusted using the DAW mixer (that’s the piece I missed so far). Pay attention for back coupling if you have your speakers on and a microphone connected (well, for this scenario you actually should turn off your speakers, give the signal to earphones. This way you prevent two things: first, you wouldn’t record the audio signal coming from the speakers again through the mic, thus doubling it. And you are safe from back coupling).

For your playback after recording:
- turn off the tracks monitoring knob, otherwise you won’t hear what you’ve just recorded
- again with the mixer adjust the volume. If you had to raise the level for the recording, prior to playing back decrease it accordingly, otherwise

Don’t know if there’s a better way, but that works for me so far. I hope this was somehow understandable.

Best wishes,
Hank

[ Ignore ]