mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Loading wav samples into Motif Xf"

Posted on: January 30, 2020 @ 05:09 PM
alexanderthegreat
Total Posts:  10
Joined  07-11-2019

Hi, before I get bashed, yes i’ve tried searching, but its pretty saturated with keywords. I’m trying to load my wav. files into the Motif. So far I’ve been able to load the sample, but it will only play on one key for example (C). I seen a few post where it says select “All” but I don’t see that option, it will only let me chose the key i want to load it to. I don’t know how to access the “User Patch” either. I basically load the sample on channel 16 getting rid of the current patch full concert piano in my case. What am I doing wrong? It also will not let me load one sample, it will say illegal file. It only works if I select the load multi option. BTW is it worth getting the flash memory? Thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 30, 2020 @ 09:34 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

You might start with This Thread, and the links contained.

Yes, Flash Memory is worth it, IMO.  You’ll need to decide for yourself.  What you want to accomplish, revealed to us, will help determine opinions from the Forum.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 30, 2020 @ 10:09 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
alexanderthegreat - 30 January 2020 05:09 PM

Hi, before I get bashed, yes i’ve tried searching, but its pretty saturated with keywords. I’m trying to load my wav. files into the Motif. So far I’ve been able to load the sample, but it will only play on one key for example (C).

The default key a sample will load to is C3, but you can select any single note from C-2 to G8. When the “Key” field is highlighted in File mode, the setting can be changed via the Data Dial, [DEC]/[INC] buttons, or by holding down the [SF6]KBD button and pressing the desired key.

alexanderthegreat -

I seen a few post where it says select “All” but I don’t see that option, it will only let me chose the key i want to load it to.

You can select “all” by continuing just past G8. However, “all” will stretch a sample across the entire C-2 to G8 range, and most samples won’t sound good if stretched very far.

A sample loaded to a single key can be stretched…
Press the [INTEGRATED SAMPLING] button
Select the number of the Waveform
Highlight the Keybank whose range you want to change
Press [EDIT]
Change the Key Range by using the Data Dial, etc., as explained above.

alexanderthegreat -

I don’t know how to access the “User Patch” either.

Sorry, but I’m not sure what you’re referring to. Do you mean a Voice in the User banks?

alexanderthegreat -

I basically load the sample on channel 16 getting rid of the current patch full concert piano in my case. What am I doing wrong?

See above. Provide more details if that doesn’t help.

alexanderthegreat -

It also will not let me load one sample, it will say illegal file. It only works if I select the load multi option.

It’s hard to say what might be wrong with a particular file. Legal samples are 16-bit WAV or AIFF type, 64MB or smaller in size for stereo, so wrong bit depth or excessive size are two possibilities.

alexanderthegreat -

BTW is it worth getting the flash memory? Thanks in advance.

There are two main advantages to installing a flash module. One is that the memory is non-volatile - samples stored to it remain through power cycling, they don’t have to be reloaded each time the XF is turned on.

Another advantage is that while the XF’s SDRAM capacity is only 128MB, flash modules are available with capacities of 512MB, 1024MB(1GB), and 2048MB(2GB). The XF has two slots for flash modules, so you could have sample storage of as little as 512MB or as much as 4GB.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 31, 2020 @ 02:58 AM
alexanderthegreat
Joined  07-11-2019
cmayhle - 30 January 2020 09:34 PM

You might start with This Thread, and the links contained.

Yes, Flash Memory is worth it, IMO.  You’ll need to decide for yourself.  What you want to accomplish, revealed to us, will help determine opinions from the Forum.

I’m a hip-hop producer looking to use the motif to make beats. I’ve been making music for over 15 year, but am new to the Yamaha workstation. I just purchased the motif a couple of months ago after using a Roland Fantom X series for many years. I know the thing like the back of my hand. I would love to get to that level with the Motif.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 31, 2020 @ 03:09 AM
alexanderthegreat
Joined  07-11-2019

So what I’m trying to do is load my sounds (drumkits 808’s ,ect.) into the Motif, but can only get the file to play on one key. I was able to load a single sound by changing the frequency to 44.1khz. Now I tried to stretch it with integrated sample method, but soon as I exist the menu it will only play on the C3 key even through i’ve edited it to key range c-2 to G8. I hit enter to extract and it lets me play the sound on the selected keys, but once I exist it, it only plays on C3 again. what gives?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 31, 2020 @ 05:13 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
alexanderthegreat - 31 January 2020 03:09 AM

So what I’m trying to do is load my sounds (drumkits 808’s ,ect.) into the Motif, but can only get the file to play on one key. I was able to load a single sound by changing the frequency to 44.1khz.

You should be able to load a 16-bit WAV as long as the sampling rate doesn’t exceed 44.1kHz—32kHz, 22.05kHz, 11.025kHz, etc., should work as well.

alexanderthegreat -

Now I tried to stretch it with integrated sample method, but soon as I exist the menu it will only play on the C3 key even through i’ve edited it to key range c-2 to G8. I hit enter to extract and it lets me play the sound on the selected keys, but once I exist it, it only plays on C3 again. what gives?

It’s not obvious “what gives”. If you list the exact steps you’re using, perhaps we can determine what the problem is.

By the way, loading to “all” keys is only available from Voice or Performance mode (Parts 1~4), not to a Part in Song mode. In Song mode the Key Range has to be set via Integrated Sampling.

[ Ignore ]