mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Tempo Changes “live” AND when reprogramming"

Posted on: January 13, 2020 @ 10:49 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I use my MOXF live, playing and singing along with it. I use Performance mode, Song Mode and occasionally even Pattern mode. Again, live. And it works pretty well, I must say. So…

I have some Songs I would like to have slight Tempo changes mid sequence in. Trying to turn that assigned Tempo knob while playing live is risky and hard to move it just a few BPM without turning too far. So I’m thinking I will just put those must-have Tempo changes into the event list using some combination of Tempo Track editing, Continuous Data, etc.

Now however, those Tempo changes become rather permanent parts of the Song sequence, particularly if its a gradual change utilizing Continuous Data or some other real-time insertion method. 

Note: I don’t use any external computer so I’m looking for ideas that apply to the basic MOXF programming (even though a computer program might seem more efficient and logical).

So lets say a year from now, I want to change that Song in some manner—perhaps Copy a track from a previous version of the Song and put it into the current version. I assume the gradual Tempo change I put into the sequence will now come back to haunt me. And I’d have to Delete all the Tempo commands on the current version first. Or would that track coming into the mix adopt those Tempo changes? 

Again, I use Song mode “live” which makes it quite difficult going into a sub-menu and hitting SF Scene buttons to switch from Scene to Scene a non-starter. And the Tempo knob is too risky. 

So the basic question is, what are the pitfalls to putting permanent Tempo change commands into a sequence, and is there any way to avoid them or allow for easy removal (and re-insertion) quickly and accurately?  I realize Pattern mode is a special animal (though manual Tempo changes with the Tempo knob DO seem to carry over to the next Pattern section mid performance). As for Performance mode I imagine I’m out of luck, but I would love to know if there is a hack to change Tempo slightly and accurately in the midst of a Performance in some way other then that Tempo knob.

So a lot of questions, but they are all related and if you are still reading this and do not hate me, I’d appreciate feedback.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2020 @ 10:52 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I would also ask what happens to Tempo changes mid sequence if I should change the original Tempo of the Song. For instance, I want to play this Song a little faster TONIGHT, will I lose (or worse rue the existence of) those mid-song accelerandos?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2020 @ 06:30 AM
Hank_Buchek
Total Posts:  54
Joined  12-02-2013
muscarella - 13 January 2020 10:49 PM

...and if you are still reading this and do not hate me, ...

Why should we? Interesting question ! :-)

I guess you already read this one ?

Best wishes,
Hank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2020 @ 09:26 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I use my MOXF live, playing and singing along with it. I use Performance mode, Song Mode and occasionally even Pattern mode. Again, live. And it works pretty well, I must say. So…

I have some Songs I would like to have slight Tempo changes mid sequence in. Trying to turn that assigned Tempo knob while playing live is risky and hard to move it just a few BPM without turning too far.

If using the dedicated TEMPO control is too coarse, fine control is easy to access - just highlight the Tempo field (quarter note symbol) on the display and the Data Dial or [DEC]/[INC] buttons will adjust the value.

There’s also “Tap Tempo” - hold the [SHIFT] button down, tap the [ENTER] button a few times at the tempo you want. That may or may not be practical during live play, you’ll have to see for yourself.

muscarella -

So I’m thinking I will just put those must-have Tempo changes into the event list using some combination of Tempo Track editing, Continuous Data, etc.

Now however, those Tempo changes become rather permanent parts of the Song sequence, particularly if its a gradual change utilizing Continuous Data or some other real-time insertion method. 

Note: I don’t use any external computer so I’m looking for ideas that apply to the basic MOXF programming (even though a computer program might seem more efficient and logical).

So lets say a year from now, I want to change that Song in some manner—perhaps Copy a track from a previous version of the Song and put it into the current version. I assume the gradual Tempo change I put into the sequence will now come back to haunt me. And I’d have to Delete all the Tempo commands on the current version first. Or would that track coming into the mix adopt those Tempo changes?

Why not just save a version of the Song without the Tempo changes to a USB flash drive? That way some time in the future you could always reload the “base” version and use it as is, or edit as needed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2020 @ 05:25 AM
Hank_Buchek
Total Posts:  54
Joined  12-02-2013

Note: I don’t use any external computer so I’m looking for ideas that apply to the basic MOXF programming (even though a computer program might seem more efficient and logical). ...

Hi,

to add one thing: even the most simple MIDI capable program (like e.g. Cubase LE from Steinberg) would really help you out here, especially for song mode. You can have your MIDI tracks here and an additional tempo track or even a track that changes the measure wherever you like. If you export the result in a MIDI file and import it into the MOXF, all the changes in measure and speed will be there.

I know it’s a different story for pattern or especially performance mode. But for patterns: Phil one day said somewhere (or is it even in the manuals?), that the recommended way of working is: if you finished your patterns and organized the chain, than you would transfer this into a song ... that again would give you the Cubase LE option....

Just my two cents.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ I need some help with Flash Memory.
Next Topic:

MOXF8 worth repairing? ››