mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF ethernet and Windows 10"

Posted on: November 18, 2019 @ 10:40 AM
sj1
Total Posts:  16
Joined  09-28-2012

Hi.

I would like to hear if anyone is successfully connecting their Motif XF over ethernet to Windows 10 and able to save (via the File button, etc.) Motif native files to their PC.

I’ve searched and read extensively, but it seems all the information I can find is pre-Win10, and for some reason all attempts to follow advice as-presented still do not result in a file-save ability for me.  I cannot see any of the PC’s directories on the Motif.  It seems not to be connected at all, and this is regardless of whether I attempt with DHCP Client: On or with manually entered values.

I note that I *can* get operation over ethernet in the other direction (seeing the Motif’s USB stick on the PC) *if* I do special operations to enable SMB1 protocol on the PC.  This proves my cable and low-level connections thru the router are OK (though regrettably I felt the need give up this ability and un-enable SBM1 for network security reasons).

So, if someone has had success here, just knowing that would be useful to me.  If someone knows the “secret trick” to making it work, well that would be even better!

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2019 @ 10:52 AM
sj1
Joined  09-28-2012

I should probably add that I’d also find it worth hearing if others are in exactly the same situation as I am here.  IOW, if you couldn’t get it to work (so far anyway) either.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2019 @ 11:39 AM
🎹Lex
Total Posts:  81
Joined  05-20-2009

As far as I know, no one has managed to get it working with any recent version of Windows or macOS. The last working Windows version is 7, though it is still finicky there in my experience.

I once used a workaround involving an Android device as a go-between, but this method no longer works on recent versions of Android and the required app is no longer available for download even on older versions.

If Yamaha properly valued user experience rather than prioritizing the sale of new hardware above all else, it would be a simple fix. They only need to update a single package (the Samba server) and release a new OS update with that one minor change.

For what it’s worth, I’m working on taking matters into my own hands and getting this done myself. I can’t offer any sort of timeline for that, though. Yamaha hasn’t made my job easy.

As it stands, the only reliable way is to use a computer running a very old version of Windows or Mac OS. It’s worth warning, though: in that situation it would be unwise to connect the old computer/OS to the rest of your home network or especially the internet due to the security risk it poses.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2019 @ 12:36 PM
sj1
Joined  09-28-2012

Thank you for your comments Lex, appreciated!

Do you know that Samba is relevant to saving FROM the Motif TO the PC?

I was under the impression that the Samba server on the Motif lets a computer see the USB stick in the Motif, but that saving from the Motif to a computer used another method.  Perhaps my impression was mistaken.

And yes, it would be superb if Yamaha could do this specific update for we Motif owners, legacy though it is.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2019 @ 04:00 PM
🎹Lex
Joined  05-20-2009

You’re right, I misspoke. The server portion is only relevant in the other direction, but the client side is a part of the same package that needs updating.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2019 @ 10:30 AM
yomero
Total Posts:  9
Joined  04-27-2014

Good morning!

Last year I posted the following thread after successfully connecting a Motif XF and a PC running windows 10 via a crossover CAT5 network cable…

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/480826/

Recently however, this method does not work anymore.  After some research my main “suspects” are the SECURITY and DOMAIN fields in the Network configuration screen on the Motif XF.

Apparently Microsoft got rid of the WORKGROUP environment in one of those unwanted updates they stuff up one’s nose without asking.  This seems to affect how computers share files over the network.

Same as you, I am able to successfully connect the Motif XF to the computer either via a crossover cable or through a router, and the computer is able to “see” the Motif XF, but the Motif XF cannot “see” any shared files in the PC.

I hope someone finds a solution soon.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 12, 2019 @ 10:05 AM
yomero
Total Posts:  9
Joined  04-27-2014

Good morning!
I just found a solution.
I hope it works for you since we seem to be exactly in the same situation. Please click on the following link and make this modification to your Windows 10 PC and the try to connect your Motif XF.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4155

Apparently Microsoft keeps modifying the way PC’s share files in Local Area Networks.
Once I enabled SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support on Windows 10, I was able to “see” the PC from the Motif XF and vice versa.

I hope it helps!
Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2019 @ 06:10 PM
🎹Lex
Joined  05-20-2009

Excellent news! Building from your solution, this appears worth trying for anyone trying to connect in either direction using a Mac:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/dg32sw/change_smb_version_3_on_catalina_back_to_smb/f3b7v85/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2020 @ 11:54 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

No luck on my end.  Back in 2013 I had a connection using an Ethernet cable that was somehow different (brain lapse).
Nonetheless, repeating the process with each boot became a pain, and when they made usb cords 2-4 ft in Length, I just kept using flash drives.  Honestly, for my home use, it wouldn’t add an iota of improvement.  However I understand how it could benefit others and I applaud your efforts to keep the engine going.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Signal Flow....TRS or TS?
Next Topic:

MOTIF XF6 and Cubase 7 ››