mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Easy way to quickly swap left hand VOICE"

Posted on: November 25, 2019 @ 01:34 PM
samson8884
Total Posts:  39
Joined  09-10-2012

Hi,

I am currently using the SONG mode to quickly select various voices on stage.

I have arranged 8 different VOICE pairs on track 1 to 8, which are played with my right hand and corresponding tracks 9 to 16 having a bass VOICE in split configuration.

Tracks 1 to 8 are on MIDI channels 1 to 8 and tracks 9 to 16 are also on MIDI channel 1 to 8. As you can see the ‘pairs’ are track 1 and track 9… track 2 and track 10 and so on

When I select track 1, I can play the VOICE on track 1 with my right hand and the bass on track 9 with my left. To select VOICE 2, I select track 2 and the same bass voice is available on track 10. This maintains continuity throughout the performance.

The setup works well, when a live bassist is not available. I can cover his parts. Now, when a live bassist is available, I’d like to swap the VOICE used by my left hand for a pad/strings backing voice.

Can anyone suggest a way I could swap voices quickly, instead of going into MIXING mode for each SONG and re-saving each one with a pad/string VOICE?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2019 @ 07:05 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
samson8884 - 25 November 2019 01:34 PM

[...]

Can anyone suggest a way I could swap voices quickly, instead of going into MIXING mode for each SONG and re-saving each one with a pad/string VOICE?

If you mean quickly edit several Parts “on the fly”, then I’m unaware of a means to do that.

On the other hand, if you want to edit Songs and then store them, using the Yamaha MOX6/MOX8 Editor makes the editing job fast and easy. A different Preset or User Voice can be selected for a Part with a few mouse clicks, and copy/paste functions can be used to duplicate it in as many of the Parts as desired.

Since the Editor is free, if you don’t already have it I suggest you download and try it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2019 @ 09:15 AM
samson8884
Joined  09-10-2012

Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping for something that I could do on the fly, without connecting to a computer. Maybe a better way of arranging sounds, creating custom VOICEs etc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2019 @ 09:55 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
samson8884 - 26 November 2019 09:15 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.

You’re welcome.

samson8884 -

I was hoping for something that I could do on the fly, without connecting to a computer. Maybe a better way of arranging sounds, creating custom VOICEs etc.

I don’t understand why you are so resistant to using the Yamaha Editor. Personally, I would much rather click a mouse a few times than struggle.

The MOX can store 64 Song Mixings and 64 Pattern Mixings, and it can store 256 Mixing Voices. I have a hard time imagining that capacity isn’t sufficient for your needs per gig.

Once things are the way you want, an “All” file can be saved. That or other “All” files can be rapidly reloaded without samples, as needed for a particular gig.

Since I’ve made this suggestion to you before, I may be missing something. Perhaps others will post with different ideas.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2019 @ 10:37 AM
samson8884
Joined  09-10-2012

I cannot carry a laptop with me to a gig and use it for on the fly changes. Also, I am trying to avoid duplicating SONG data with only the left hand voice being different. ALL files take time to load up… So it cannot be used for ‘on the fly’ changes. Imagine having an all file with various combinations like different master EQ setting based on venue, different left hand voice and combinations of left hand voice with master EQ for each venue… it’s going to be a mess to keep track don’t you think? Besides, if I need to edit something, I would need to edit this in multiple ALL files.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2019 @ 12:32 PM
samson8884
Joined  09-10-2012

Ok, so here is how I achieved a quick left hand voice swap. Providing my approach here since it might help others.

The left hand VOICE used in all of the SONGs mentioned in my original question, is a USER VOICE. I edited this VOICE to have bass guitar ELEMENTS and my favorite pad elements. Now, when I want to use a bass guitar for the left hand, I just need to EDIT the USER VOICE, turn off the pad elements and save this USER VOICE. When I need a pad voice, I do the opposite and save the voice. Since this USER VOICE is used across all SONGs, the changes get reflected across all my live sets!

The time taken to make this change is minimal and can be done on stage in a live situation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2019 @ 12:35 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
samson8884 - 26 November 2019 10:37 AM

I cannot carry a laptop with me to a gig and use it for on the fly changes.

OK, but I never suggested that.

samson8884 -

Also, I am trying to avoid duplicating SONG data with only the left hand voice being different. ALL files take time to load up… So it cannot be used for ‘on the fly’ changes.

If you know what the gigs require, files would typically be loaded beforehand. Also, “All Song” or “All Pattern” files which just contain Mixings load fairly fast, usually within a few seconds.

samson8884 -

Imagine having an all file with various combinations like different master EQ setting based on venue, different left hand voice and combinations of left hand voice with master EQ for each venue… it’s going to be a mess to keep track don’t you think?

Files can be named so that what they contain can be identified. If you ever need to determine the contents of an All/Voice/Song/Pattern file, and are running Windows, you could use my moX-TEXT program:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/472111/

In another of your threads I mentioned the use of an external device for EQing if you felt that editing your Mixings wasn’t practical.

samson8884 -

Besides, if I need to edit something, I would need to edit this in multiple ALL files.

Yes, it would take some effort. However, using the Editor can make this a less annoying/time-consuming task, especially once you become familiar with Editor operation. It’s much easier and faster than editing directly on the MOX.

Of course, do what makes sense for your needs. Good luck.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2019 @ 12:53 PM
samson8884
Joined  09-10-2012

Thanks a lot for your helpful suggestions 5pinDIN. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Using a computer is not very practical for me, but I will surely check out the program you mentioned. It could help me out in some way or the other.

If you don’t mind me asking, where do you primarily use your Motif? Studio/Stage?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2019 @ 02:38 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
samson8884 - 26 November 2019 12:53 PM

Thanks a lot for your helpful suggestions 5pinDIN. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Using a computer is not very practical for me, but I will surely check out the program you mentioned. It could help me out in some way or the other.

People have differing priorities - if computer usage doesn’t fit your needs/purposes, I understand.

samson8884 -

If you don’t mind me asking, where do you primarily use your Motif? Studio/Stage?

I don’t mind. I’m not a performing musician, although I have at times worked for a few of them, and small studios, on technical issues. My Motifs (XS6 and XF6) as well as other models from various manufacturers have mostly been used for my own playing pleasure. Since I’m also reasonably comfortable with computers, I’ve used them with synths and written some synth-related software, making the programs available to others when I thought it would be helpful. At my age, I’m glad to share knowledge/experience with those who appreciate it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2019 @ 09:39 AM
samson8884
Joined  09-10-2012

I am a software engineer myself and I have started to get my hands dirty with programming the MOX. When it comes to music, I kinda prefer to stay away from computers and keep it more, organic… if you will.
I am having fun programming the MOX to do what I need and its quite challenging to find smart ways to program it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2019 @ 10:29 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

When I played my acoustic guitars (I haven’t done so in many years) the sensation might have been described as “organic”. I have a harder time feeling that connection with my Motifs, since the XS and XF are basically computers - they have a Toshiba 64-bit MIPS RISC processor which runs MontaVista Linux. Perhaps it would have been better if I didn’t know what was “under the hood”.  :-)

I still prefer to do music-related tasks directly on the Motifs - for example, I don’t use a DAW. However, for editing, file storage, and some other jobs, I find a computer to be a handy tool.

Indeed, programming Motif-family models can sometimes be challenging. Trying to do something can be the best way to learn what can and can’t be done. Often there are ways to accomplish things that don’t initially seem possible, and I’ve posted about my own experiences when related questions come up on the forum.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Master EQ in Master mode
Next Topic:

using ext keyboard to control mox/usb/cubase setup ››