mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Signal Flow….TRS or TS?"

Posted on: November 15, 2019 @ 01:18 PM
daddyrnr
Total Posts:  21
Joined  10-02-2012

I am getting ready to purchase some cabling to re-work my setup before I start playing it on stage to maximize my sound quality.I currently have a Motif XF, Fantom X7 and Moog Mintaur running thru a Air 16 mixing console.  My Fantom specifically states the cables are TRS (and is imprinted on the back of the keyboard) but the Motif XF7 is a little vague.

Since my mixer is mounted in a rack under my amp (Usually 6-8 feet behind me) and I am controlling it with a tablet....need to get from the keyboards (Motif and X7) to the rack with as little signal loss as possible which is why I am looking at TRS cables. Looking at possibly direct boxes at the base of my stand if I need to do TR cables but...... if they are TRS, I can get a TRS snake to XLR to get into my mixer.

Curious as to what others are doing for signal routing from them Motif XF to theor mixer of choice.

Any Suggestion appreciated before I spend some money

Dan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2019 @ 06:57 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

You don’t “need” to use TRS cables, as the outputs of the keyboard are unbalanced, so whether you use TRS or TS, you will be running unbalanced.

You can use direct box(es) to change your signals to balanced if you wish, but any signal coming straight out of the main outputs will be unbalanced.

I run 10’ TS cables out of my XF with zero noise or other signal issues.  I believe the standard recommendation for max length of TS cables is 15’.  Longer than that, you may want to go with direct box processing, to change the signal to balanced.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2019 @ 08:28 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

As cmayhle stated, Motif outputs are unbalanced - the jacks are TS type, and plugs of the connecting cables should match that. Use of TRS type can sometimes cause trouble (depending on the design of the input stage in any connected gear), since the Ring of the plug won’t connect to anything.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2019 @ 11:52 AM
daddyrnr
Total Posts:  21
Joined  10-02-2012

Thanks for the input.....while most of are shows I am 6/8 feet away..we do have some stages we have played with other projects that it is further away (15-20’) so..sounds like pre-planning my setup.....going to go the direct box method as I can get some smaller direct boxes and attach them to my pedal board.

Thanks again for all the input..

Dan

[ Ignore ]