mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "mLAN Expansion Board IEEE1394"

Posted on: October 21, 2019 @ 05:46 PM
JimmyD1501
Total Posts:  23
Joined  12-07-2007

Hi
I just wanted to ask the forum if the mLAN expansion board on my XS is now completely redundant. I have not used it for a long time as software changed on my MAC and I believe it is no longer supported by Yamaha.I have High Sierra on my computer if that helps.
The reason for asking is that in another forum I saw somebody asking where to buy one which I thought unusual.
Thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2019 @ 06:38 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

There are advantages to using the FW interface. If your Mac has a FW/IEEE1394 port, I suggest getting the interface running again. If your current Mac doesn’t have FW, but has Thunderbolt, it can be adapted.

The Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver V1.7.5 for Mac OS X covers High Sierra (10.13).

However, it requires the mLAN16E2 to first have its firmware updated.
IEEE1394 Firmware Updater Ver.1.07-2 for Mac OS X / macOS will do that.

Both are available here:
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/index.html?c=music_production&k=Motif+XS

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2019 @ 09:44 AM
JimmyD1501
Joined  12-07-2007

Hi
I tried to get the mLAN working today but did not succeed:

1.Downloaded the two files as advised

2. Installed the FW driver which installed ok and asked for a restart. After restart in settings I could see the Yamaha icon and when I clicked it it showed the correct updated version

3. Connected XS with Firewire cable (same one as before that worked ok) to computer and placed IEEE driver on desktop as it would not open in downloads.

3. The problem is that the IEE install flash page shows up but is greyed out only exit and refresh buttons available, install not actionable which I believe means its not making connection with the XS, this was also the case with the Firewire in settings when I clicked the Icon it opened a flash screen showing the driver version but when i tried to reset it had no connection.

Actions taken

1. Made sure on XS that connection was mLAN and not USB no improvement

2. Uninstalled FW driver and reloaded two more times same problem as before.

3. Changed FW cable for a different one that works with my old Digi002 Interface no improvement

Unless you can see I am doing something wrong or can do additional actions I suspect the board may be the problem.

Thanks again

Jim D

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2019 @ 10:47 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Before we go any further, which OS is installed on the XS?

To check the OS version…
Press and release the [UTILITY] button to get into Utility mode.
Then press [UTILITY], [ ^ ](Cursor Up) and [F1] buttons at the same time.

What Firmware Version is shown?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2019 @ 01:25 AM
JimmyD1501
Joined  12-07-2007

Hi its version 1.60.1

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2019 @ 07:30 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
JimmyD1501 - 23 October 2019 01:25 AM

Hi its version 1.60.1

OK. In that case, it should be possible for the YSFW driver to be properly utilized.

JimmyD1501 - 22 October 2019 09:44 AM

[...]

3. The problem is that the IEE install flash page shows up but is greyed out only exit and refresh buttons available, install not actionable which I believe means its not making connection with the XS, this was also the case with the Firewire in settings when I clicked the Icon it opened a flash screen showing the driver version but when i tried to reset it had no connection.

With the YSFW driver installed, there should be a functional “Update” button when running the IEEE1394 firmware updater. Does the XS show up as “Model” under “Device Information”? If not, try connecting the FW cable to the second mLAN port and press “Refresh”. If that still doesn’t resolve the issue, then indeed the interface may heve failed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2019 @ 05:31 AM
JimmyD1501
Joined  12-07-2007

Hi
First many thanks for your help.
I am going to keep trying, i tried reloading the operating system but that did not work.
I opened up the synth to see what was under the hood and the condition was not bad, i did now cleaning and fixed the bad yes / no problem which was due to a dry soldering on the switches, that helps a lot as the light dont jump around as they used to.
I am actually looking now at buying a used Motif XF I saw online. I think I am correct all my sounds that I use on the XS will work on the XF correct.?
Thanks as always.
Jim D

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 24, 2019 @ 07:36 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome - I’m glad to help.

The XF is fully compatible with XS files. The XF has 128 MB of User SDRAM standard, so any sample libraries requiring no more than that will load. For samples libraries greater than 128 MB the XF would need to have at least one optional flash module installed.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XS7 Delay Goes Away When I Hit Play!
Next Topic:

Using XS as Midi Controller ››