mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Copy function in voice mode: possible to copy effects to another voice?"

Posted on: October 19, 2019 @ 08:18 AM
Michiel D
Total Posts:  191
Joined  11-16-2009

Hi there, I am wondering if it is possible to copy (only) the effects (insert and system) from one voice to another. This could be done on older synths like the SY77 if I remember correctly, but am wondering if the XF has this trick upon it’s sleeve ..?

Kind regards, Michiel

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2019 @ 09:32 AM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

I’m sorry but it was even the Motif ES for which this procedure was explained ... COPYING VOICE DATA w/ARPEGGIOS TO A PERFORMANCE or MIX in a Motif ES.

In (XF) articles about the performance mode there is a lot of text explaining way it maken sense not to have individual system effects. But I can not find info on the question if and how you could determine that these system effects for all the voices would be (i.e.) the system effects of the voice you put in part 1… As this was possible in the ES, would be strange that in the XF this would not be possible… (and one had to program a long list of effect parameters with help of a pen and paper and than in performance mode set each individual effect paramater as in the voice from which you want to use the system effects...)

Thanks for help/advice! Kind regards, Michiel

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2019 @ 12:28 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Your original question concerned copying effects (only) from one Voice to another. You’re now discussing copying Voice data to a Performance or Mix, which is not the same issue.

Perhaps these support articles will help:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/insertion_effects_differ_from_the_system_effects

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/introducing_motif_xs_effects

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xs_parameter_with_voice

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2019 @ 01:20 PM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

I’m sorry, posten 2 question on effects so they got mixer up .. anyhow thanks for the links.
I look for both .. :
- use the (original) system effects from a voice in a performance as system effects of that performance
- in voice mode: copy all effects from one voice to another voice (possible or not using the ‘job’ functionality)

Will read the support article for both, if I find the answers, will post them here.
If anyone just knows how to .. welcome .. thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2019 @ 01:25 PM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

Here’s what I mean, in the article of the first link, I began to think the answer was at hand about the effects in performance mode:

When the VOICE is placed in an ensemble (either a PERFORMANCE or a SONG/PATTERN MIXING program) it does not take along the SYSTEM EFFECTS. The SYSTEM Effects are shared by all of the PARTS. This makes sense because, remember, System Effects are the OUTER environment. It would be analogous to the musicians all being in the same room acoustics. So in a PERFORMANCE or in a MIXING program all the PARTS must share the OUTER environment… just like in the real world, you would have the band in a single room…

After this explanation, the guide continues explaining how to copy the system effects from one voice to all other voices .... in Mixing mode (song/ pattern) ... So no answer for how this trick works in performance mode ... yet ...

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2019 @ 01:31 PM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

And from the second article:

When the VOICE is placed in an ensemble (either a PERFORMANCE or a SONG/PATTERN MIXING program) it does not take along the SYSTEM EFFECTS. The SYSTEM Effects are shared by all of the PARTS. This makes sense because, remember, System Effects are the OUTER environment. It would be analogous to the musicians all being in the same room acoustics.

The second sentence states: the SYSTEM effects are shared by all of the PARTS..........

My question remains: WHICH system effects?

The system effects that are randomly there?
Or does the (initialised) performance take the system effects of the first voice you select (from default)?
Still confused and searching ....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2019 @ 01:44 PM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

We got him ... ! Lost of articles read, many of them suggesting to reveal the secret ... but then an article on the website of Yamaha ... :  )

How to Copy the SYSTEM EFFECTS:
• Press [JOB]
• Press [F3] COPY
• Press [SF2] VOICE
• Set CURRENT MIX
Select the PART that contains the VOICE whose SYSTEM EFFECTS you want to COPY into this MIXING. If the VOICE is currently in PART 1, set PART 1 and mark the attributes of that VOICE in VOICE mode that you wish to use here. Mark the REVERB and CHORUS.

• Press [ENTER] to execute.
This will Copy the REVERB and CHORUS setting from the VOICE in PART 1 to the current Mix. Take note that when you copy the Reverb and Chorus to the current Mix, all the Parts will now use these effects as they become the SYSTEM Effects for the entire Mix.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 19, 2019 @ 03:05 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Michiel D - 19 October 2019 01:44 PM

We got him ... ! Lost of articles read, many of them suggesting to reveal the secret ... but then an article on the website of Yamaha ... :  )

How to Copy the SYSTEM EFFECTS:
• Press [JOB]
• Press [F3] COPY
• Press [SF2] VOICE
• Set CURRENT MIX
Select the PART that contains the VOICE whose SYSTEM EFFECTS you want to COPY into this MIXING. If the VOICE is currently in PART 1, set PART 1 and mark the attributes of that VOICE in VOICE mode that you wish to use here. Mark the REVERB and CHORUS.

• Press [ENTER] to execute.
This will Copy the REVERB and CHORUS setting from the VOICE in PART 1 to the current Mix. Take note that when you copy the Reverb and Chorus to the current Mix, all the Parts will now use these effects as they become the SYSTEM Effects for the entire Mix.

Of course, that information is in the first article I linked to above, but you apparently missed it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2019 @ 06:58 AM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

The article of the first link explains in detail how to copy the system effects in pattern or song mode (Mixing setup).
Apperently the same procedure works in performance mode (and steps could be just a little different in that modus...)
But most important, it works!  :  )
Thanks for your help and patience, kind regards!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2019 @ 03:23 PM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

I’m sorry cheered to early ... this copy procedure works fine in performance mode or in Mixing mode.
Just in voice mode, when using the copy function, it only seems possible to copy the voice or the single parts of the voice to another voice. Not just the effects of a voice to another voice. Or am I missing anything ... ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2019 @ 04:29 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The Yamaha MOTIF XF Editor has Copy and Paste functions, which work for Effects in Voice mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2019 @ 06:35 AM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

Thanks again. Right now I am working without a computer in my studio, maybe I will change that.
For now I will try out a workaround: when I have a piano voice with great effects (say it consists of 2 parts/element) and I have a Rhodes voice (also 2 element) that I want to use exact the same effects ... what happens if I copy the two element of the Rhodes voice into the 2 parts of the piano sound ..? Will this do the job? Gonna try it out ..  :  )

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2019 @ 07:42 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Michiel D - 22 October 2019 06:35 AM

Thanks again. Right now I am working without a computer in my studio, maybe I will change that.

While many procedures can be accomplished directly on the XF, there are numerous advantages to interfacing it with a computer - and I’m not referring to use of a DAW.

Michiel D -

For now I will try out a workaround: when I have a piano voice with great effects (say it consists of 2 parts/element) and I have a Rhodes voice (also 2 element) that I want to use exact the same effects ... what happens if I copy the two element of the Rhodes voice into the 2 parts of the piano sound ..? Will this do the job? Gonna try it out ..  :  )

Effects aren’t found in the Voice Elements, they’re Common Parameters.
See pages 23 and 64-65 of the XF Reference Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2019 @ 08:42 AM
Michiel D
Joined  11-16-2009

And again ... :  ) Refering to your last remark, that’s why I think it could work, when I copy a part of another voice to the ‘current’ voice: the parts of another voice are ‘introduced’ to the envorinment of the common parameters of the current voice (host). But of course a lot of other common parameters will also apply to the new elements so could give unwanted or at least unintended outcomes.

The reason I want to try this is that I found a fantastic piano voice in one of the 3rd party voice libraries, with the name like ‘empty room piano’ (lost of reverb). The piano itself uses quite some MB of my sample memory, whereas (my guess) the effects make the difference. So maybe when I use the (extreme) effect settings in another piano voice, I can save some of my flashboard memory.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2019 @ 10:20 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The Common Parameters include about everything the Voice is comprised of, other than what’s in the Elements. Do try what you’re thinking of - it’s the best way to learn what works and what doesn’t - but it’s likely to be a lot faster and easier to just manually copy the effect Parameters from one Voice to another.

On the other hand, the Yamaha Editor can accomplish the job in a matter of seconds… resistance is futile.  ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Cut delay with FC3
Next Topic:

Prevent (drum) arps from retriggering in Performance mode ››