mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Simple midi recording from XF into Protools."

Posted on: October 20, 2019 @ 02:01 AM
Mlg4ever
Total Posts:  877
Joined  07-27-2003

This used to be so simple and a pleasure to do. However recently while recording midi from motif xf
Into protools everything works fine but there are these two issues:
1. If I’m recording a beat sometimes at random a note won’t sound. It just skips and I don’t know why it does that. What am I doing wrong? This has been a headache for me.
2. Another issue is the quantize function in protools and motif. I haven’t been able to do a decent feel good quantize in a long time on protools. It has killed all my vibes and pretty much I’ve had to resort to recording things straight as audio without using the advantage midi editing offers and that’s a shame. These two issues have sucked my joy of producing music.
Can anyone help please? I’m very pessimistic but I have to be optimistic for the sake of my sanity. I don’t know what to do anymore.

Looking forward to your help. Thanks.

Using protools 12.1.0.94
On a iMac macOS High Sierra
Version 10.13.6
2.9 GHz intel core i5
8 GB

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2019 @ 02:42 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi Mlg4ever,

It’s really difficult to suggest what the problem might be.

There are some things that you can do though:

1 - Update your drivers.  That includes Yamaha drivers for your Motif’s ‘To Host’ USB connection, if you are using that, or drivers for a standalone MIDI interface (or audio interface with a built in MIDI interface) if you are using one.

2 - Uninstall and reinstall the most up to date version of Pro Tools you can use for 10.13.6.

3 - Try and record MIDI in exactly the same manner in another DAW (if you have one) and see if you get the same result as you do in Pro Tools.

Sorry that’s all a bit general.

Notes can seem to disappear from a recording if they are played slightly before the first beat of the recording.

As somebody who pays over $1000 a year to use Pro Tools, and having used it since 1996, I find the look and feel of the MIDI capabilities of Pro Tools quite annoying in a variety of ways, and always edit MIDI in Logic Pro for that reason.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 25, 2019 @ 06:35 PM
Mlg4ever
Joined  07-27-2003

Thanks PhilWoodmusic
It seems one of the reasons was that my computer memory wasn’t enough. I had to increase the size and it’s behaving better. There is improvement. Just sharing so we all know in the future if your MIDI takes start skipping, memory size could be a place to point to.
Again thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2019 @ 12:27 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

I’m happy you found a solution, but without any kind of explanation, that seems very strange?

When you say ‘memory’ do you mean RAM or disk space?  ...and how much did you increase it by?  What was it before?  What control or preference was it?

In nearly 30 years of sequencing MIDI on computers, I’ve never once had to do this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2019 @ 02:35 AM
Mlg4ever
Joined  07-27-2003

Probably you didn’t have to, there was never a reason for you to worry about it because it didn’t happen to you. As for me I had a serious problem and now I don’t. The only thing I did was turn to this forum for help while trying things out somewhere else like a little devil just so I can get back to work.
I do appreciate your suggestions.
What I did was, I moved the session to a different hard drive and increased RAM by 8 more Gb.
Things are looking good and work is under way. I wish I could tell you with more technical terms what just happened but that was that. That’s all I did. Quantize is behaving normally again and since then I’ve added one more song to my repertoire. Listening to it now in my car. Sounds great. Getting ready to go back to studio and finalize it. I have no more ideas for the song and I think it’s done.

thanks.

[ Ignore ]