mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Send bank and program changes from Novation Impulse"

Posted on: October 01, 2019 @ 04:35 AM
brwl
Total Posts:  7
Joined  09-30-2019

I’m new to the forum and posting for the first time.  In fact, I’m new to electronic keyboards as well.  I’m grateful that this community is here and appreciate any advice that I can get.

I own a S70XS and love it.  I also own a Novation Impulse MIDI controller.  What I’m trying to do, for live performance, is to set up one or two control(s) on the Impulse (the fewer the better) to dynamically change the programs/voices on the S70.  To that end, I’ve organized the voices for my live performance into a single bank (USR4).  I am not using a computer and would prefer not to.

I’ve spent several days reading the manuals for both keyboards, reviewing the Yamaha data list, looking at videos, and searching the forums.

I’m aware that the Impulse supports Program Change messages, by using a variety of button pushes (Shift-MIDI) and data knob input.  But it seems as though that method is limited to the bank/category that is currently active on the S70 (as the values sent only range from 0 - 127).

Ideally, I would like to be able to access all of the S70 banks and voices directly from the Impulse controls, with as few button pushes/encoder turns/slider adjustments as possible (for example, program one knob for banks and one knob for voices).  The Impulse is able to send MSB and LSB data, but despite numerous attempts at programming knobs, I have not been able to get the S70 to recognize the commands.

I’m not currently using Performances and have not tried Multi Mode (my needs haven’t required it up until now).  My apologies if I left out any details, please feel free to ask.

Does anyone with experience with the Novation Impulse have some insight on how I could accomplish this?

Thank you in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 01, 2019 @ 08:07 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
brwl - 01 October 2019 04:35 AM

I’m new to the forum and posting for the first time.  In fact, I’m new to electronic keyboards as well.  I’m grateful that this community is here and appreciate any advice that I can get.

Welcome to the forum.

brwl -

I own a S70XS and love it.  I also own a Novation Impulse MIDI controller.  What I’m trying to do, for live performance, is to set up one or two control(s) on the Impulse (the fewer the better) to dynamically change the programs/voices on the S70.  To that end, I’ve organized the voices for my live performance into a single bank (USR4).  I am not using a computer and would prefer not to.
[...]
Ideally, I would like to be able to access all of the S70 banks and voices directly from the Impulse controls, with as few button pushes/encoder turns/slider adjustments as possible (for example, program one knob for banks and one knob for voices).  The Impulse is able to send MSB and LSB data, but despite numerous attempts at programming knobs, I have not been able to get the S70 to recognize the commands.
[...]

I have no experience with the Novation Impulse - perhaps someone who does will reply. In the meantime…

Since you’ve been reviewing the Data List, you may be aware of the Bank Select table on page 102. MSB/LSB values in decimal and hex are given for all banks. The text below the table provides details of Bank and Program selection.

If USR4 (or any other Voice bank) is selected on the S70XS, sending only a Program Change message should be sufficient to change to any of the 128 locations in the bank. Selecting a location in a different Voice bank via MIDI requires sending MSB/LSB as well as Program number.

Changing modes requires sending SysEx messages, as follows:
F0 43 10 7F 0D 0A 00 01 00 F7 Voice
F0 43 10 7F 0D 0A 00 01 01 F7 Performance
F0 43 10 7F 0D 0A 00 01 04 F7 Master
F0 43 10 7F 0D 0A 00 01 05 F7 Multi
F0 43 10 7F 0D 0A 00 01 06 F7 Demo

Hopefully the above will help you program the Impulse for Bank Select and Program Change. If it can’t send SysEx messages, then modes would have to be selected manually.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 01, 2019 @ 08:48 PM
brwl
Joined  09-30-2019

Thank you 5pinDIN for the swift and informative response.

The Impulse does provide the ability to define an MSB and an LSB for each control (encoder, button slider, pad).  The encoder will then transmit a range of values (the range max and min can also be defined).

Per the S70 data list bank table (page 99), I defined one encoder to be of a “rPn” type (registered parameter number) with an MSB value of 63 and an LSB value of 11.  My expectation was that turning the encoder would scroll through the USR4 voices.  But, that did not happen.

FYI - It is also possible to define a CC value to an encoder (control change, registered parameter number and non-registered parameter number are the control options - but all are still a bit vague for me).  I tried to define one of the encoders with the CC# 0 (Bank Change) and then changed the value, with the hopes that the bank would change.  But, no luck.

I’m still hoping that someone who has worked with the Novation Impulse will add their thoughts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 01, 2019 @ 10:05 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
brwl - 01 October 2019 08:48 PM

Thank you 5pinDIN for the swift and informative response.

You’re welcome.

brwl -

The Impulse does provide the ability to define an MSB and an LSB for each control (encoder, button slider, pad).  The encoder will then transmit a range of values (the range max and min can also be defined).

Per the S70 data list bank table (page 99),

You must be using a different version of the S90XS/S70XS Data List than I am. In the one I’m using (s90xs_en_dl_c0.pdf, which I believe is the most current), the Bank Select table is on page 102.

brwl -

I defined one encoder to be of a “rPn” type (registered parameter number) with an MSB value of 63 and an LSB value of 11.  My expectation was that turning the encoder would scroll through the USR4 voices.  But, that did not happen.

The Bank Select message isn’t an RPN.

brwl -

FYI - It is also possible to define a CC value to an encoder (control change, registered parameter number and non-registered parameter number are the control options - but all are still a bit vague for me).  I tried to define one of the encoders with the CC# 0 (Bank Change) and then changed the value, with the hopes that the bank would change.  But, no luck.

Bank Select is a two part message - CC#0 for the MSB, CC#32 for the LSB.

Program Change is two bytes - the PC Status byte, followed by the Data byte (0~127).

Perhaps this will help:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/bank_select_and_program_change

This might help you determine if the Impulse is properly sending a Program Change message:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/746479/Novation-Impulse.html?page=24

A good source of MIDI information:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140213190150/http://www.blitter.com/~russtopia/MIDI/~jglatt/

brwl -

I’m still hoping that someone who has worked with the Novation Impulse will add their thoughts.

If not, I suggest that you contact Novation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2019 @ 04:57 PM
brwl
Joined  09-30-2019

Again, thank you 5pinDIN for the excellent information.

I was able to get the Novation Impulse to send bank and voice change messages.  Of particular importance, was the Bank Select and Program Change link you’d provided:  http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/bank_select_and_program_change

I’m detailing the procedure here for other Novation Impulse newbies, and for my own future reference.

How to program a Novation Impulse to send bank and program/voice change messages to a Yamaha S70XS/S90XS keyboard.

NOTE:  The following steps are for selecting a single bank and single program/voice.  Other steps are needed for selecting Performances, etc.

On the Novation Impulse

Set the first control change message:
1. Press the “Controls” button.
2. Press one of the keyboards programmable button controls.
3. Press the “+"/"-" buttons until you get to the control type ("Typ") option
4. Turn the data knob and select the “cc” (control change) type.
5. Press the “+” button to display the “CC#” option.
6. Turn the data knob until the value reads “0” (this is the first bank control change number).
7. Press the “+” button to display the button ("Btn") type options.
8. Turn the data knob to display the single button press option ("Sgl").
9. Press the “+” button to display the value ("Val") option.
10. Turn the data knob until the value reads “63” (the MSB value for preset and user banks).

Set the second control change message:
11. Press another button control. 
12. Press the “+"/"-" buttons until you get to the control type ("Typ") option.
13. Turn the data knob and select the “cc” (control change) type.
14. Press the “+” button to display the “CC#” option.
15. Turn the data knob l until the value reads “32” (this is the second bank control change number).
16. Press the “+” button to display the button ("Btn") type options.
17. Turn the data knob to display the single button press option ("Sgl").
18. Press the “+” button to display the value ("Val") option.
19. Turn the data knob until the value reads “11” (the LSB value for the “USR4” bank).
NOTE:  Alternatively, you could select an encoder control for this message,,with a “Min” value of 0 and a “Max” value of 11, and scroll through the banks by turning the encoder.

Save the Novation Impulse template:
20. Hold the “Shift” button down and press the “Keyboard” button ("Save").
21. Update the template name if desired (see Impluse manual for steps to change the template name), press “Enter”.
22. (Before pressing Enter a second time, you can use the Data knob to choose a different template to which the new name will be applied).  Press “Enter” again.

Send the program/voice change message:
23. Press the first button that you’d programmed.
24. Press the second button that you’d programmed.
25. At the same time, press the “Shift” and “MIDI Chan” buttons ("Program Change").
26. Turn the data knob to the desired program/voice within the bank you’d just selected.
27. The Novation Impulse keyboard will now play the selected Yamaha program/voice.

Thanks again for pointing me towards the excellent information.

BRWL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2019 @ 11:18 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
brwl - 05 October 2019 04:57 PM

Again, thank you 5pinDIN for the excellent information.

I was able to get the Novation Impulse to send bank and voice change messages.  Of particular importance, was the Bank Select and Program Change link you’d provided:  http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/bank_select_and_program_change

I’m detailing the procedure here for other Novation Impulse newbies, and for my own future reference.

[...]

You’re welcome. I’m glad you were able to accomplish what you wanted to do. Thanks for posting the procedure you used - hopefully others who want to control the S70XS/S90XS (or other similar synth) with a Novation Impulse will find that information helpful.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Drum on midi nr 10
Next Topic:

S90XS - assign click switch to Assignable Function? ››