mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Melas software for MOX and MOXF?"

Posted on: November 06, 2015 @ 10:11 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

Will the Melas software work with MOXF? I have it installed on my computer and now have an MOXF as well as an MOX.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2015 @ 10:24 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Sure will!

In fact, except for files that relate to new Flash sample data...interchangeably so.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2015 @ 01:34 AM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

But a MOXF ALL file cannot be loaded into an MOX, correct? I can load an ALL file created on MOX into an MOXF, but once that happens it’s an MOXF ALL file and any changes are exclusive to the MOXF.  Am I stating that correctly? 

I’m in a situation where I want to keep the two keyboards as close to identical as possible for live gigs. The MOXF6 for “tight quarters” venues (though I really am not crazy about semi-weighted keys), the MOX8 for those gigs I can afford the extra space and don’t mind lugging the larger unit. So I need to transfer my MOX8 Songs and Performances into the MOXF6 (and so far it’s working fine), but I’m kind of not sure what’s the best way to create new material, or tweak stuff in the future. Do I need to do everything on the MOX first, then move it to the MOXF?  Will the Melas software help in any of these regards, in terms of alternative archiving or editing capability?  Can I run both keyboards from the same computer at same time?  I’ve also never set up a second keyboard to run with MOX. Could I use either keyboard as a controller for the other? I realize I will have to eventually sit down at each and tweak things, but I’m trying to figure out the most efficient path to keep the creative process flowing and keeping of track of versions moving from keyboard to keyboard.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2015 @ 02:21 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

I really don’t know if you can open MOXF files in a MOX.  Someone here will.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2015 @ 06:36 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

I’m not sure if you could load MOX file and save as MOXF, but I know that you could have different versions of Melas software on the same computer. I have bundle for Motif ES, Motif Rack XS, MOXF and Waveform editor. For transferring data between different platforms, you should only buy Total Librarian for each synth you have. I’m also using demo versions for XS and XF in order to transfer data from XS to XF and than to load to MOXF. Full version of Librarians is necessary when you are connected to the synth. You could even use two keyboard instantaneously and that could be set as secondary MIDI controller.
Yamaha have provided possibility to transfer data from previous workstation to its successor, but you could not go backward. Maybe if someone who have both MOX and MOXF could help, but you should also contact John Melas directly.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2015 @ 12:57 PM
B.Minor
Total Posts:  126
Joined  10-22-2010
nbadesign - 07 November 2015 06:36 AM

I’m also using demo versions for XS and XF in order to transfer data from XS to XF and than to load to MOXF.

Hello Alex, I’m also owner of John Melas’ “Complete Pack” for MOXF (and of course the “universal” Waveform Editor). Can you really confirm that it’s possible to have the Total Librarian “Demo” versions for XS and XF installed in parallel with the full MOXF version? I was always looking for a way to “convert” old ES libraries to XS format, and from there to XF format in order to load it finally to the MOXF. Will that work without any functional restrictions? I’ve never tried such an approach - but that would be really great…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2015 @ 02:22 PM
benj00
Total Posts:  113
Joined  06-03-2011

Hi,

I recently upgraded my MOX6 to an MOXF6. I am still using both boards and according to John Melas, you need to purchase both suites of software as you can’t edit an MOX from the MOXF software and vice versa. You can exchange/convert All files between the two using the Library software. The problem is is that the MOXF has more waveforms than the MOX so if you create Voices, Performances, Mix files on the MOXF they won’t necessarily work with the MOX. You can however create files on the MOX and open them on the MOXF with no problem. So the keyboards are not completely backwards compatible but are forwards compatible.

Your best (and more expensive) option is to invest in an MOXF8 at some point and just keep both boards updated ....You could also create all your files on the MOX and transfer to the MOXF. You’ll miss out on some of the newer Waveforms and Voices, but it will work as you want.

~Ben

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2015 @ 09:14 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

B.Minor - 07 November 2015 12:57 PM
nbadesign - 07 November 2015 06:36 AM

I’m also using demo versions for XS and XF in order to transfer data from XS to XF and than to load to MOXF.

Hello Alex, I’m also owner of John Melas’ “Complete Pack” for MOXF (and of course the “universal” Waveform Editor). Can you really confirm that it’s possible to have the Total Librarian “Demo” versions for XS and XF installed in parallel with the full MOXF version? I was always looking for a way to “convert” old ES libraries to XS format, and from there to XF format in order to load it finally to the MOXF. Will that work without any functional restrictions? I’ve never tried such an approach - but that would be really great…

Hi B.Minor,

As you could see in attached pic (screenshot of my desktop with opened folder where Melas Tools are installed), I have Total Librarians from ES through RackXS, XS, XF to MOXF). Two of them are demo versions (XS and XF) since I don’t have XS and XF keyboards. But, you could use demo with full functionality except transmitting files to/from synth. That I obviously don’t need. Good thing is that you could load either natural XS or XF ALL file and than transfer it to MOXF. Although you could from MOXF librarian, it is good to have Librarian for particular keyboard in order to see in which user memory bank are voices of interest. In that case you could easily move voices from one bank to another in for instance XF Librarian and then load such a modified file to MOXF librarian and sent to keyboard.

Alex

Image Attachments
MelasToolsInstalled.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2015 @ 09:25 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

I’m kind of confused now.  I can or cannot use my current Melas package on either MOX or MOXF?

I’ve already transferred ALL and Songs, etc to the MOXF without any problem. And saved them. But my concern is that any changes I make on my MOXF will have to be basically redone on the MOX (or close enough for gigging). I’m prepared for that to be the case, but I’ve heard conflicting opinions. So there’s that. 

Then there’s the question of whether Melas software purchased months ago for the MOX is of any use to me when working on my MOXF. (Forgetting about whether a file generated in one will work in the other. I can see how that might not be possible.) I would of course kind of like to NOT buy a whole separate package AND have to switch around incessantly depending on which synth I’m on. To repeat, I’m trying to keep them both more or less identical so I can grab either one for a gig and know I’ll be OK. I realize I will lose some new goodies on the MOXF, new Arps, new voices, but I can live with that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2015 @ 10:21 PM
benj00
Total Posts:  113
Joined  06-03-2011
muscarella - 07 November 2015 09:25 PM

I’m kind of confused now.  I can or cannot use my current Melas package on either MOX or MOXF?

No you cannot, John offers a discount on your 2nd purchase though.

I’ve already transferred ALL and Songs, etc to the MOXF without any problem. And saved them. But my concern is that any changes I make on my MOXF will have to be basically redone on the MOX (or close enough for gigging). I’m prepared for that to be the case, but I’ve heard conflicting opinions. So there’s that.

This depends on whether you use any of the waveforms on the MOXF that are not available on the MOX. Also if you use all of the 8 insert effects available in Mix Mode, then only three of those will show up on the MOX

Then there’s the question of whether Melas software purchased months ago for the MOX is of any use to me when working on my MOXF.

No you need the software package for the MOXF, see above

(Forgetting about whether a file generated in one will work in the other. I can see how that might not be possible.) I would of course kind of like to NOT buy a whole separate package AND have to switch around incessantly depending on which synth I’m on. To repeat, I’m trying to keep them both more or less identical so I can grab either one for a gig and know I’ll be OK. I realize I will lose some new goodies on the MOXF, new Arps, new voices, but I can live with that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2015 @ 10:59 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

I’m kind of confused now.  I can or cannot use my current Melas package on either MOX or MOXF?…

Sorry for the bad information muscarella, that is news to me!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2015 @ 11:13 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

cmayhle, you are forgiven!

Now with the Melas software only working for the MOX, I will just stay with my rather byzantine Plan A— do everything on the MOX, including re-ordering Masters and Performances and such (which is my main application), and then just pop the USB into the MOXF and open the All files up there. And then save them onto USB. Kind of like I’ve already done without incident. Of most interest to me on the MOXF is the additional Arps and the polyphony. I mostly bought it to have a 61 keyboard. Maybe I should have just got a MOX6, but I was hoping I could get some of the new goodies.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2019 @ 12:18 PM
BobosCurse
Total Posts:  81
Joined  12-31-2013

I know this is an old thread...but…

I’m playing with the demo Melas software.
It looks like files can only be transferred to and from the synth directly, or saved in proprietary format.

In other words, it cannot save .X6A files that can be transferred to a thumb drive and loaded into a synth.  Is that correct?

I’m trying to create Performances on my MOXF, save them to a USB drive, and load them onto a MOX at my church.

Is there any way that I can convert MOXF Performances to a format that can be loaded onto a MOX?  I understand that Performances that use User voices or samples don’t apply.  Most of my Performances use factory Voices.  It’s a shame that I have to rebuild them from scratch on the MOX when the voices are exactly the same.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2019 @ 12:19 PM
BobosCurse
Joined  12-31-2013
cmayhle - 07 November 2015 02:21 AM

I really don’t know if you can open MOXF files in a MOX.  Someone here will.

I can confirm that a MOX will not recognize MOXF data files.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2019 @ 01:04 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
BobosCurse - 07 August 2019 12:18 PM

I know this is an old thread...but…

I’m playing with the demo Melas software.
It looks like files can only be transferred to and from the synth directly, or saved in proprietary format.

In other words, it cannot save .X6A files that can be transferred to a thumb drive and loaded into a synth.  Is that correct?

I’m trying to create Performances on my MOXF, save them to a USB drive, and load them onto a MOX at my church.

Is there any way that I can convert MOXF Performances to a format that can be loaded onto a MOX?  I understand that Performances that use User voices or samples don’t apply.  Most of my Performances use factory Voices.  It’s a shame that I have to rebuild them from scratch on the MOX when the voices are exactly the same.

1) To load the MOX, the “All” file should be a .X4A, but indeed the Melas software won’t save such a file.
2) The Melas MOX software can import a MOXF .X6A file.
3) Do you own or have access to a laptop computer that has a USB port and can run the Melas MOX software? If so, problem solved - take the laptop to the church, connect to the MOX, etc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2019 @ 01:07 PM
BobosCurse
Joined  12-31-2013

I have an old crappy laptop that isn’t good for much else.

Great idea...thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Divide Drum Track
Next Topic:

Pattern Job - ’Phrase’ - 07 Put Phrase to Song ››