mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Garritan GPO Lite For Motif XS/XF demos/reviews?"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: September 16, 2011 @ 09:20 AM
DoubleM
Total Posts:  36
Joined  01-19-2011

Hi mikeys,
since I dunno the Project Samm brass instruments I can´t answer your question. But here´s the voice list, taken (by copy and paste...) from the pdf-manual:

The Voices
File Name: Garritan Strings XF.n3.X3A
File Size: 124.5 MB
Voices: 26 (loads to USR 4 bank)
Waveforms: 11
Overview: Full string sections in several articulations (tremolo, slow attack, fast attack)
plus individual violin, cello, viola, and bass both normal and Pizzicato.
A01 Garritan Section AF
A02 Garritan Section 2AF
A03 Violin GG Solo 2 AF1
A04 Viola GG Solo 2 AF1
A05 Cello GG Solo
A06 Symphonic GG Pizz
A07 Symphonic
A08 Symphonic 2
A09 Viola GG Solo 2 AF1
A010 Violin GG Solo 2 AF1
A011 Cello Violin Viola
A012 Three Violins
A13 Violas
B01 Cellos
B02 Tremolo Strings Small
B03 Tremolo Strings 1
B04 Symphonic Pizzicato
B05 Octet
B06 Small Section GG
B07 Small Ensemble GG
B08 Medium Section GG
B09 Lush
B010 Lush Trem GG
B011 Background GG
B012 Three Violins
B13 French Horn + Strings GG
File Name: SoloWWinds&Brass;.n3X3A
File Size: 121.7 MB
Voices: 32 (loads to USR 4 bank)
Waveforms: 31
Overview: Solo Contra Bassoon, Bassoon, Bass Clarinet, Clarinet, Piccolo, Flute,
Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, & Tuba.
A01 Contrabassoon
A02 Bassoon Player 1
A03 Bassoon Player 2
A04 Bassoon Player 3
A05 Bassoon Solo
A06 Oboe Solo
A07 English Horn Solo
A08 Oboe Player 1
A09 Oboe Player 2
A10 Oboe Player 3
A11 Bass Clarinet
A12 Clarinet Player 1
A13 Clarinet Player 2
A14 1 Clarinet Player 3
A15 Piccolo
A16 Flute Player 1
B01 Flute Player 2
B02 Flute Player 3
B03 Flute Solo
B04 Trumpet Solo AF1
B05 Trumpet Player 1 AF1
B06 Trumpet Player 2 AF1
B07 Trumpet Player 3 AF1
B08 Trombone Solo AF1
B09 Trombone Player 1 AF1
B10 Trombone Player 2 AF1
B11 Trombone Player 3 AF1
B12 FrenchHornPlayer 1 AF1
B13 FrenchHornPlayer 2 AF1
B14 FrenchHornPlayer 3 AF1
B15 FrenchHrnDynamic AF1
B16 Tuba Solo AF1
C01 French Horn Legato
C02 Woodwind
C03 Woodwinds
C04 Contrabassoon 2
C05 English Horn Solo 2
C06 Woodwinds 4
C07 Fanfare 1
C08 Fanfare 2
C09 French Horn Section 2
C10 Fanfare 4
C11 OrchestraBrass 2
File Name: GPO Brass&PipeOrgan;.n3.X3A
File Size: 120.9 MB
Voices: 32 (loads to USR 4 bank)
Waveforms: 8
Overview: Brass Sections of Baritone, Sousaphone, Trombone, Trumpet, and French
Horn plus Hauptwerk Pipe Organ.
A01 Trombone Section 1
A02 Trumpet Section 1
A03 French Horn Section 1
A04 French Horn Section 2
A05 Trumpet Section 1
A06 Trombone Section 2
A07 Baritone Horns 2
A08 Baritones & French Horns
A09 Trombones & French Horns
A10 Trombones & Trumpets
A11 Orchestral Brass
A12 Orchestral Brass 2
A13 Orchestral Brass 3
A14 Orchestral Brass 4
A15 Orchestral Brass 5
A16 Orchestral Brass 6
B02 Sforzando Brass 1
B03 Sforzando Brass 2
B04 Sforzando Brass 3
B05 Sforzando Brass 4
B06 Cluster Brass 1
B07 Cluster Brass 2
B08 Cluster Brass 3
B09 Cluster Brass 4
B10 Low Brass
B11 Chamber Brass
B12 Chamber Brass 2
B13 Hauptwerk Organ
B14 Hauptwerk Organ 2
B15 Hauptwerk Organ 3
B16 Hauptwerk Organ 4
C01 Baritone Horn Section
C02 Sousaphone Section
C03 Trombone Section
C04 Trumpet Section
C05 French Horn Section
C06 Baritone & French Horn
C07 Big Horn
C08 Orchestral Brass 2
C09 Trumpet Section 2
C10 Trombone Section 2
C11 Trombone Trp Section
C12 French Horn + Trumpet
C13 French Horn Section 3
C14 Orchestral Brass CLST 4
C16 Orchestra Brass Big 2
C16 Orchestra 12
File Name: VintageEP@Bss&Harps;.n3.X3A
File Size: 109.2 MB
Voices: 16 (loads to USR 4 bank)
Waveforms: 4
Overview: Fender Rhodes Piano, Acoustic Bass and Harpsichord
A01 Vintage Case GG
A02 Vintage 74 GG
A03 Sweetness MW+AS2 GG
A04 Early Fusion GG
A05 Phaser Vintage GG
A06 Dyno Chorus MW AF2
A07 Harpsichord GG
A08 Harpsichord Octave GG
A09 Upright GG
A10 Velo Growl GG

I didn´t load the Pipe Organ (quite impressive) to my XF, but remember to use some of the ensemble brass voices (like B13 French Horn + Strings GG). I never load complete banks, but choose and pick (good) single voices.

Hope that helps!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2011 @ 05:50 PM
mikeys
Total Posts:  51
Joined  10-14-2010

DoubleM,

Thanks so much - that is very helpful.  There is more on there than I expected, and thanks to your posting, you just sold me on getting the library for my XF.

Thanks again!

Mike

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2019 @ 03:19 AM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013
mikeys - 16 September 2011 05:50 PM

DoubleM,

Thanks so much - that is very helpful.  There is more on there than I expected, and thanks to your posting, you just sold me on getting the library for my XF.

Thanks again!

Mike

I’m thinking seriously about buying the Garritan Personal Orchestra Sample Library for my Motif XF, but the product description in the Motifator Shop has a couple of caveats For example:

“Although the Motif platform may not let you access the range of interactive articulations that have using the standalone GPO on a DAW, use of Assignable Function controls, plus the basic expressivity of the Motif keyboard means that the experience of using these excellent sounds is a joy.”

and

“Although the Motif XF contains many orchestral voices itself, the Garritan library fills in a number of important gaps plus gives you compelling alternatives along with many different articulations and dynamics.”

Which gaps does the Garritan Library fill?
Which articulations and dynamics does the GPO Library have beyond, fast, slow, and tremolo on the strings?

Earlier in this thread there is a list of the voices, and a quick mention of fast, slow and tremolo, but no detail, on the articulations and dynamics, or other details like how many controllable elements in a voice, or what CC messages can be used with these samples, or how or if CTLSETs can be used to manipulate articulations or if any of the articulations and dynamics can be velocity switched etc.

Does any one have the .pdf or documentation or know where I can find detailed documentation on the GPO 4 for the Motif XF?

I really don’t want to drop the $129 if the sample library does not give me much beyond my base Motif sampled sounds.  I’m already taking advantage of velocity switching and zoning, some of the arpeggiation, and ctlset mapping with the base motif sampled sounds. And I’m happy with the results (but very time consuming!!!) If the GPO 4 will save me some real work then I want to get it, but if I could get the same basic effects as the GPO 4 by just adding a little more sweat with the base motif sample sounds then I don’t want to waste my money.

Its been a while since this library has been released, I’m hoping there’s been some real experience with the library by now.  Does anybody have or know where I can get the nitty gritty on the GPO 4 sample library for the Motif XF?

Or can anyone share any details of their personal experience with this library???

I’m also hoping that the library has more than just fast, slow, tremolo, and pizzacato , (which are already reasonably represented in the Motif Sampled Sounds)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2019 @ 08:42 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
lastmonk - 09 February 2019 03:19 AM

Does any one have the .pdf or documentation or know where I can find detailed documentation on the GPO 4 for the Motif XF?

Hopefully someone who has personal knowledge of this will post.

However, if that doesn’t happen…
Garritan was “acquired” by MakeMusic, Inc. in December 2011.
They might be able to help with some of your questions.

PDF manuals (although the Motif/Lite version isn’t specifically listed):
https://www.garritan.com/user-manuals/

Support:
https://www.garritan.com/support/
https://www.garritan.com/support/community/
https://www.makemusic.com/contact-us/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2019 @ 12:45 PM
lastmonk
Joined  12-17-2013
5pinDIN - 09 February 2019 08:42 AM
lastmonk - 09 February 2019 03:19 AM

Hopefully someone who has personal knowledge of this will post.

However, if that doesn’t happen…
Garritan was “acquired” by MakeMusic, Inc. in December 2011.
They might be able to help with some of your questions.

PDF manuals (although the Motif/Lite version isn’t specifically listed):
https://www.garritan.com/user-manuals/

Support:
https://www.garritan.com/support/
https://www.garritan.com/support/community/
https://www.makemusic.com/contact-us/

Thanx 5pinDIN!  Wow!  I did not know that MakeMusic acquired Garritan.  Interesting, hmmm..  I have Finale2014 which has some subset of the GPO.  But when I use Finale I always map the Midi instruments back to my Motif/Mox and don’t mess with the Garritan samples in Finale.  The Aria Player doesn’t hold a candle to my Motif/Mox so I bypass Garritan there.

Now I can’t help but wonder how much of a subset the Motif GPO 4 is of the full GPO, or what the intersection is between Motif GPO sample library and the Finale GPO library, because both of these are a subset of the full GPO.

I’ll check out the links.  But if they’re not Motif specific, then the Voice information won’t tell me things like how many elements are mapped to a voice, or how or if the CTLSET has been mapped to elements, or anything about velocity switching, or zone mapping of the samples etc.

I really want to think that someone on Motifator has personal experience with the GPO for Motif XF/XS LOL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2019 @ 01:39 PM
lastmonk
Joined  12-17-2013

@5pinDIN after taking a look at the links you posted I did find and digest:

https://wpmedia.garritan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/PO4_Manual_March5.pdf

It does give me good information on how the controllers are used, and which midi CC are used to control what in the context of the GPO 4 library.  Now I just have to determine what the actual difference is between the GPO 4 and the Motif GPO 4.

As said I have the Aria Player and Finale Garritan library already, but much prefer to do all the sequencing/orchestration with the GPO library on the Motif, take the Motif sequence, sweeten it on the Motif, Mix it down to audio on the Motif, and then master it on my Tascam DP 24, upload it to the customer and then check my pay pal account for payment LOL.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2019 @ 09:53 PM
lastmonk
Joined  12-17-2013

Update on this thread.

I finally purchased GPO for the Motif XF.  OMG!!  Although there are some nice comments already about it earlier in this thread, those comments imo do not come close to how nice this library is.

1rst hats off to DCP and everyone else involved in the conversion, and programming process of Motif GPO.  They did an absolutely masterful job.  It sounds absolutely awesome in 2019, even in the company of more expensive orchestral samples.

I already had a version of GPO for the computer/Daw/Finale so I was reasonably familiar with how to interact with the various articulations and dynamics needed to control the orchestral sounds using the computer/daw solution.  But for those of you who care, the computer control does not imo match the tight integration that is possible that I found when I used the GPO that has been specifically configured for the Motif.

What is missing with the computer/daw version of the GPO that is present on the Motif GPO is the very tight integration/interaction of the GPO sample library with Motif’s:

XAControl mappings
CTLSET mappings
8 Element mappings
Performance Mode
Song Mode
Pattern Mode
Mix Voices Template
Integrated Sampling

This makes for imo a far far superior experience, and allows for a much more natural musical performance, than the DAW + GPO version.

For live performance the Motif GPO is clearly the superior choice over the GPO that is used with a DAW imo its not even close!  That is, Motif GPO is more reliable, easier to perform articulations and dynamics and integrates tightly with everything else that’s already happening on the Motif.

The one criticism that I do have for GPO for the Motif is
the scant documentation.

There is reasonable documentation that describes how to load the 4 libraries individually in to User Bank 4., But no documentation explaining how to load them all simultaneously.
(I ended up loading them into User Bank 2,3, 4).

Also The documentation does not describe what articulations, or dynamics a particular instrument has, or how it was zoned, or how the voices activate in different ranges on the keyboard.

I understand this would have been a big job (and would have probably impacted the cost) So the musician has to explore each sampled instrument individually, look at the CTLSET mappings, look at the XAControl mappings, and the 8 Elements set for each voice, and see what impact INSA, INSB, and effects have on the sound of the instrument. This might scare off musicians that typically don’t dig this deep into the Motif.  Fortunately in my case I’m into all of this so I’m having fun.  The whole process is also giving me a better appreciation for Motif’s stock orchestral sounds.

But for the uninitiated it would have been nice to have a document that describes each instrument in the Motif GPO and its articulation possibilities, CTLSET mappings, and keyboard range mappings, and FX dependencies.  Otherwise it becomes a matter of discovery through trial and error and a lot of serendipity (which means a lot of the capabilities of the Motif GPO) might go undiscovered!

I highly recommend the Motif GPO.  Its not that its better than the existing orchestral sounds on the Motif, it is an excellent complement to the existing orchestral sounds and makes the Motif even more complete.  Motif GPO was able to do with the additional sample memory what there was not room to do without additional memory.  So Bravo all that were involved in producing Motif GPO!
Its worth every penny!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New flash file ES_in_a_FLASH !
Next Topic:

XF midi, FW when sleep/suspend/hibernate ››