mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF modulation wheel reverse in performance for single voice"

Posted on: April 30, 2019 @ 04:53 PM
keyman@usa.net
Total Posts:  77
Joined  07-28-2006

Hey folks,
I am creating a performance. For one voice I want the behavior to be initially that the mod wheel is fully forward. The current behavior is that the effect is only activated after selecting the performance and then moving the mod wheel forward.
How can this be done? What parameter would control the mod wheel ‘polarity’ ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2019 @ 07:43 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
keyman@usa.net - 30 April 2019 04:53 PM

Hey folks,
I am creating a performance. For one voice I want the behavior to be initially that the mod wheel is fully forward. The current behavior is that the effect is only activated after selecting the performance and then moving the mod wheel forward.

To edit a CONTROLLER SET at the VOICE level, see page 61 of the XF Reference Manual, Controller settings—[F4] Ctrl Set(Controller Set).

Specifically, see reference paragraph 3 Depth.  It outlines how to “reverse” the controller operation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2019 @ 12:41 PM
keyman@usa.net
Joined  07-28-2006
cmayhle - 30 April 2019 07:43 PM
keyman@usa.net - 30 April 2019 04:53 PM

Hey folks,

To edit a CONTROLLER SET at the VOICE level, see page 61 of the XF Reference Manual, Controller settings—[F4] Ctrl Set(Controller Set).

Specifically, see reference paragraph 3 Depth.  It outlines how to “reverse” the controller operation.

Yes, I had found that entry in the manual before I posted. The behaviour did not respond as I had hoped. I’ll try other values for the parameter but . . .
The sound is in the Keyboard category, EP sub-category: “Compressed2”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2019 @ 03:29 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Some details might help…

1) Do you want the MW behavior to be completely reversed? That is, what it previously did with the MW forward should be what it does when fully back, and vice-versa? (If not, please explain.)

2) Can we assume that “Compressed2” is “Compressed 2” (note the spacing) from the DCP “Vintage Keys” library? It’s a Rhodes through a compressor.

If 1 and 2 are correct, then from EDIT mode…
Press [COMMON EDIT] > [F4](Ctrl Set)
Change the ModWheel Depth to -17 (minus/negative 17)
(Reference as per cmayhle.)

Press [F5](Com LFO) > [SF2](Set)
Change Set 1 Depth from 0 to 63
(See XF Reference Manual page 63, right-hand column.)

SAVE the edited Voice to a User location of your choice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2019 @ 03:00 PM
keyman@usa.net
Joined  07-28-2006
5pinDIN - 02 May 2019 03:29 PM

Some details might help…

1) Do you want the MW behavior to be completely reversed? That is, what it previously did with the MW forward should be what it does when fully back, and vice-versa? (If not, please explain.)

2) Can we assume that “Compressed2” is “Compressed 2” (note the spacing) from the DCP “Vintage Keys” library? It’s a Rhodes through a compressor.

If 1 and 2 are correct, then from EDIT mode…
Press [COMMON EDIT] > [F4](Ctrl Set)
Change the ModWheel Depth to -17 (minus/negative 17)
(Reference as per cmayhle.)

Press [F5](Com LFO) > [SF2](Set)
Change Set 1 Depth from 0 to 63
(See XF Reference Manual page 63, right-hand column.)

SAVE the edited Voice to a User location of your choice.

Many thanks to cmayhle and 5pinDIN !!

When I read the page that cmayhle quoted I had tried changing the “ . . . ModWheel Depth to -17 (minus/negative 17)“.
My mistake was not doing the second step “ . . . Press [F5](Com LFO) > [SF2](Set)
Change Set 1 Depth from 0 to 63“ that 5pinDIN stated.

The goal was to use this voice in a performance where the initial behavior was that of the unedited voice with the modulation wheel fully forward.
This is now working as I had hoped!

Thanks for both of your expertise and patience.
Cheers!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2019 @ 03:03 PM
keyman@usa.net
Joined  07-28-2006

The voice I have is “Compressed2” without a space.
Wither some sounds coming from my ES and voices added to the ES I’m uncertain as to its origin.
All the Best!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2019 @ 06:22 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
keyman@usa.net - 06 May 2019 03:03 PM

The voice I have is “Compressed2” without a space.
Wither some sounds coming from my ES and voices added to the ES I’m uncertain as to its origin.
All the Best!

Not that it’s important in this case, but the ES version of the Voice from Vintage Keys actually is spelled “Compressd2” - no space, and no “e” before the “d”. The only reason I brought it up at all was to make sure I was providing information about the correct Voice.

I’m glad you’ve got things working the way you want. Now that we know we’re discussing the same Voice, I’ll explain a bit more about how the MW operation gets reversed…

Changing the Controller Set ModWheel Depth from +17 to -17 just causes the offset to the Destination (C-LFO dpth1) to be reduced (rather than increased) as the MW is advanced.

However, the Common LFO Set 1 Depth was originally 0(zero), so reducing it from that value with the MW doesn’t accomplish what’s desired - it has to have an initial depth to which the -17 offset can be applied. I chose 63 because it’s the middle of the possible 0~127 range, and then verified that things worked correctly. If it hadn’t been satisfactory, I’d have tried values above or below 63 until the MW worked as originally programmed, just in reverse.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2019 @ 10:49 AM
keyman@usa.net
Joined  07-28-2006

Yes, the voice name is spelled as you stated, “Compressd2”.

Thank you for that full explanation.

All the Best!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Keyfax Turns 25
Next Topic:

Converting XS to XF... ››