mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "[solved] Factory Patch volume discrepancies."

Posted on: March 24, 2019 @ 12:10 AM
oldkeys
Total Posts:  76
Joined  12-05-2010

Is there any way to set the patch volume and save it for each of the factory patches. Some of these patches are so darn soft and some are loud as hell.
Why not make them all as loud as possible so we can have them all at the same level.
It is very annoying if this will be set in stone and cannot be configured per patch.

Some of the brass is so soft that I run at out of amplification. while others blow the walls down,, well not that big a difference, but annoyingly obvious when you switch patches.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2019 @ 06:14 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
oldkeys - 24 March 2019 12:10 AM

Is there any way to set the patch volume and save it for each of the factory patches.

Edits to the Preset Voices can’t be stored to their original locations - they can only be stored in User positions.

oldkeys -

Some of these patches are so darn soft and some are loud as hell.
Why not make them all as loud as possible so we can have them all at the same level.
It is very annoying if this will be set in stone and cannot be configured per patch.

Some of the brass is so soft that I run at out of amplification. while others blow the walls down,, well not that big a difference, but annoyingly obvious when you switch patches.

There are several reasons why you might experience significant difference in volume level from one Voice to another. Rather than get into those issues, I’ll address possible resolutions instead.

1) Store edited versions of Voices to User locations.
If that’s not acceptable…
2) Depending on how you’re using the XS, perhaps Mix Voices might be helpful. They offer a way of storing as many as 256 modified Voices, up to 16 per Song/Pattern Mixing…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mix_voice_bank_mixv
However, application of Insert Effects is limited to eight of the Parts/Voices. Insert Effects are more critical to some Voices than others, and it’s often possible to not apply them to certain Voices without significantly changing the sound.

Another advantage is that glitch-free switching between up to 16 Voices is possible with a Mixing…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_mixing_setup_for_multiple_sounds_live

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2019 @ 02:08 AM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

Thanks a lot, saw that in the manual but could not figure out exactly what it does, since you recommend it for my situation. If the switching is noiseless, then I dont understand why this is not the default for voices. Makes no sense to have anything else if what you say is true.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2019 @ 09:16 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013
oldkeys - 24 March 2019 12:10 AM

I know it isn’t very helpful for gigs where you really need consistency, but the levels of some preset Voices might be set conservatively so that they can be layered up to 4 times in Performance Mode and then up to 16 times in Song or Pattern Mode without problems.

Not all users consider ‘Gain Staging’ so it could be that Yamaha have tried to start us all off in a good place, despite the fact you can solve your problems anyway with the info from 5pinDIN.

If you have two Voices playing simultaneously, the overall output level of your music will increase a bit, so up to 16 will increase it more and more.  In a typical audio engineering situation, if they are already set to max, you risk distorting the main output, quite quickly.

I have never tried to overload the output of my Motif and don’t intend to, but I would imagine that it is possible to make things sound crispy and distorted by stacking up multiple loud voices.

I do accept that some voices don’t fit this idea, as you’ve found, but many do.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2019 @ 10:24 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
oldkeys - 25 March 2019 02:08 AM

Thanks a lot, saw that in the manual but could not figure out exactly what it does, since you recommend it for my situation. If the switching is noiseless, then I dont understand why this is not the default for voices. Makes no sense to have anything else if what you say is true.

Song and Pattern modes are multitimbral, but Voice mode is not. When a Song or Pattern is selected, the Parameters for all 16 of the Parts/Voices are loaded into buffer memory. That way any of the data can be instantly accessed, making Voice selection glitch-free.

In Voice mode, only a single selected Voice’s Parameters are in buffer memory. When another Voice is selected, its Parameters have to be accessed. The XS can’t “predict” the sequence of Voice selection, so it can’t preload Parameters to avoid the switching glitch.

Select any of the demo Songs or Patterns, switch from Track to Track, and you’ll be able to verify that what I’ve posted works.

Although I normally don’t make such a recommendation, based on your apparent usage you would probably be happier with a Montage or MODX. However, Motifator doesn’t support those models.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2019 @ 12:17 PM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

Thank you both PhilWood and 5pindin.
You both immediately saw what I was talking about and understood it well.

You are probably right about the Montage. This is a reasonable demo that shows how the patches switch without glitch and at exactly the same volume. Really great for live performance.
“https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZn4tDBJQmU”

I cant dish out the money for a montage right now, so I will have to take 5pindin’s advice and learn how to use mixvoices. I invested too much in the XS8 to change now.
At the moment I use a foot volume pedal to even things out and to suppress a patch switch live. Not easy and NOT optimum.

I still visualize a rack of 5 or 6 hardware keyboards and synths and I approach playing the motif that way similar to what I did with the real hardware back then. I used volume pedals for transitions on the hardware keyboards and synths back then, but that was easier to switch between hardware distinct keyboards. The glitches between patches is the main problem on the, XS8 then the volume sink.

So I think your solution will go a long way to solve my problem
thank you very much.

Thanks to Phil also. Your comments were spot on.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Record Midi data from Motif
Next Topic:

Motif XS8 via mLAN ››