mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif Rack + two PLG VL cards - playback problem"

Posted on: March 02, 2019 @ 12:37 PM
javelin276
Total Posts:  31
Joined  07-30-2016

Hi guys.  I’ve inserted my two PLG VL cards into the Motif Rack, and playing back midi files is triggering the VL cards when they should be silent.  I hear both the standard Part-1 piano playing on track 1 and a VL card also playing along with track 1.  Same thing for track 2 and PLG card #2.  It appears that the GM reset at the beginning of the song turns on both PLG cards, adjusts the volume to 100, and selects a Bank and Patch, and resets the input channel.  Is there a way around this? 

Also, when I play back a VL midi file it plays back the VL track on both the PLG card and the Motif Part that matches, it doesn’t turn of the standard Part and play back the track using just the PLG card. 

Any ideas?  Is there a setting I’ve got wrong?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2019 @ 01:50 PM
- Henry -
Total Posts:  164
Joined  10-30-2011

Hi,

I take it that your Motif-Rack is in Multi mode. I don’t know how your Motif is connected to your computer, but please note that with a 5-pin MIDI cable, you’re limited to 16 channels. With such a connection, each PLG card can only layer with or replace one of the 16 internal parts. You should definitely use the USB-MIDI connection instead, since it offers multiple MIDI ports (think of each port as a 16-channel MIDI cable). This is the only way to play more than 16 parts individually.

If you’re using the USB-MIDI connection, your issue is most likely caused by the PLG boards being assigned to the same MIDI Port as the internal tone generator of the Motif. The 16 internal parts default to Port 1, so I suggest you assign both PLG cards to Port 2, and then set them to channels 1 and 2 (which is also default). You should then be able access all 16+2 parts independently, by selecting corresponding output ports and channels for each track in your sequencer.

To find these parameters, press [UTILITY] and look for the “PLG1Sys” and “PLG2Sys” screens.

The Motif-Rack can also forward one of the input ports to the rear MIDI OUT connector. This allows you to control another instrument, connected to the Motif’s MIDI OUT terminal, from the computer over the USB-MIDI interface. I suggest using Port 3 or 4 for this. Press [UTILITY] and go to the “MIDI” menu in order to find the ThruPort parameter. In the same menu, you’ll also find the MIDI IN/OUT parameter, which must be set to “USB”.

- H -

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2019 @ 03:03 PM
javelin276
Total Posts:  31
Joined  07-30-2016

Oh, I see.  I separated out the PLG cards onto Port 2 and that did the trick.  Yes, I’m using the USB connection and Multi mode.
Thanks Henry!

Now we’re cookin’, the Motif Rack sounds great now!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ PLG150 Instrument Defenition file INS
Next Topic:

VL Editor 1.2.2 ››