mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOX8 Voice arpeggio recording (newbie)"

Posted on: November 12, 2018 @ 11:08 PM
fardin
Total Posts:  12
Joined  07-04-2013

I have a MOX8. Under “Voice” I found some arpeggios that I wanted to record in a “song”.  But it seems like as soon as I change from “voice” to “song” or “pattern” the arpeggios don’t sound as they did under “voice”.  I tried edit arpeggio and played around but was not able to get arpeggio to sound as it did under “voice”.  I am a newbie so please be patient with my primitive question.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2018 @ 11:40 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
fardin - 12 November 2018 11:08 PM

I have a MOX8. Under “Voice” I found some arpeggios that I wanted to record in a “song”.  But it seems like as soon as I change from “voice” to “song” or “pattern” the arpeggios don’t sound as they did under “voice”.  I tried edit arpeggio and played around but was not able to get arpeggio to sound as it did under “voice”.

You might not have Parameter with Voice turned on. It should be on before you select the Voice.

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_parameter_with_voice

Also see page 114 of the MOX Reference Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/48534).

fardin -

I am a newbie so please be patient with my primitive question. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

My experience on Motifator is that we’re reasonably patient, no matter the nature of the question.

The above will likely resolve things for you, but if not, let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2018 @ 11:42 PM
fardin
Joined  07-04-2013
5pinDIN - 12 November 2018 11:40 PM
fardin - 12 November 2018 11:08 PM

I have a MOX8. Under “Voice” I found some arpeggios that I wanted to record in a “song”.  But it seems like as soon as I change from “voice” to “song” or “pattern” the arpeggios don’t sound as they did under “voice”.  I tried edit arpeggio and played around but was not able to get arpeggio to sound as it did under “voice”.

You might not have Parameter with Voice turned on. It should be on before you select the Voice.

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_parameter_with_voice

Also see page 114 of the MOX Reference Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/48534).

fardin -

I am a newbie so please be patient with my primitive question. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

My experience on Motifator is that we’re reasonably patient, no matter the nature of the question.

The above will likely resolve things for you, but if not, let us know.

Thank you 5pinDIN
Following the directions, still the arpeggio under “pattern” or “song” does not sound as under “voice”.  Following are some differences:
1) It seems as tempo of the arpeggio changes when it’s brought into “song”, it plays with faster tempo and I could not figure how to lower the tempo under “song” where I saw tempo under “voice” that could be changed.
2) Under the “voice” the arpeggio sounds more fully, but when brought to “song” it sounds not as glamorous or fully as under “voice” (hard to describe).
3) The volume under “song” sounds less.
Thanks again.  I appreciate your guidance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 18, 2018 @ 12:09 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome.

There are a few things to consider…
It’s important that Parameter with Voice is turned on before you select the Voice (it won’t work if the order is reversed). If you’ve selected the Voice first, turn on Parameter with Voice, select a different Voice, and then reselect the one you want.

Songs and Patterns have a default tempo (120), which may be slower or faster than the Arp tempo in Voice mode. The setting can be accessed from the Song/Pattern Play screen - it’s next to the quarter note symbol. See (7) on the screen diagram on page 76 of the MOX Reference Manual and (7) ♩(Tempo) on page 77.

Make sure you’re selecting the same number Arp in Song mode as the one you’re playing in Voice mode.

Default effects will not be the same in Song mode as Voice mode. While Insert Effects are copied from the Voice, System Effects (reverb and chorus) are not.
See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_introducing_the_effects and download the PDF for details.

Volume of the Voice when copied to a Part in a Song or Pattern will be reduced because typically there will be several Parts playing at the same time. Volume for a Part can be increased if necessary.

I hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2018 @ 12:48 AM
fardin
Joined  07-04-2013
5pinDIN - 18 November 2018 12:09 PM

You’re welcome.

There are a few things to consider…
It’s important that Parameter with Voice is turned on before you select the Voice (it won’t work if the order is reversed). If you’ve selected the Voice first, turn on Parameter with Voice, select a different Voice, and then reselect the one you want.

Songs and Patterns have a default tempo (120), which may be slower or faster than the Arp tempo in Voice mode. The setting can be accessed from the Song/Pattern Play screen - it’s next to the quarter note symbol. See (7) on the screen diagram on page 76 of the MOX Reference Manual and (7) ♩(Tempo) on page 77.

Make sure you’re selecting the same number Arp in Song mode as the one you’re playing in Voice mode.

Default effects will not be the same in Song mode as Voice mode. While Insert Effects are copied from the Voice, System Effects (reverb and chorus) are not.
See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_introducing_the_effects and download the PDF for details.

Volume of the Voice when copied to a Part in a Song or Pattern will be reduced because typically there will be several Parts playing at the same time. Volume for a Part can be increased if necessary.

I hope that helps.

Thank you 5pinDIN
when I get a chance in the next few days I’ll try to see how matching the effects work.
Thanks again for clarifying.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2019 @ 05:28 PM
Mr.20c
Total Posts:  13
Joined  02-21-2019

I just posted on this, read your question....
I’m looking at this as master eff vs embedded with the voice....
My question is why .......why would you implement this?
I don’t understand the logic.....separate master/ assigned....
What I mean by that is , why can’t it just carry over and have 1 edit button to do what we wish....(voice) and be done with it....it just becomes so complicated.....
I do understand the separation, but why would you separate effects/arp (what came with the voice from the onset) from a voice the minute you want to record¿
Great synth mox8 , I love it, should come with a dvd- (deep) something......Phil’s dvd $35.00 ... include it in the price, fine by me...the manual...please.........
Jmpo.....love Yamaha , the “how to”.......ahhhhhh. I have to say , that’s always been the problem, reading through 160 pages of reference manuals ......I feel like I am being talked to like I am an engineer, which most of us are NOT!
Brian,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2019 @ 06:20 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

Mr.20c - 21 February 2019 05:28 PM

I just posted on this, read your question....
I’m looking at this as master eff

Actually, it’s System Effects - Master Effects are separate.

Mr.20c -

vs embedded with the voice....

Those are Insert Effects. You may not think using the correct terminology is important, but if we use the terms that Yamaha does, it makes it more likely we’ll be talking about the same things.

Mr.20c -

My question is why .......why would you implement this?
I don’t understand the logic.....separate master/ assigned....
What I mean by that is , why can’t it just carry over and have 1 edit button to do what we wish....(voice) and be done with it....it just becomes so complicated.....

A Voice’s Insert Effects do “carry over” to Parts (Voices) in a Performance or Song/Pattern. The System Effects don’t, because they might not be appropriate for the other Parts in the Mix.

Mr.20c -

I do understand the separation, but why would you separate effects/arp (what came with the voice from the onset) from a voice the minute you want to record¿

As long as Parameter with Voice is turned on before a Voice is selected in a Performance or Song/Pattern, the Arps and certain other Parameters will be carried over.

Mr.20c -

Great synth mox8 , I love it, should come with a dvd- (deep) something......Phil’s dvd $35.00 ... include it in the price, fine by me...the manual...please.........
Jmpo.....love Yamaha , the “how to”.......ahhhhhh. I have to say , that’s always been the problem, reading through 160 pages of reference manuals ......I feel like I am being talked to like I am an engineer, which most of us are NOT!
Brian,

What makes the Motif family great synths is their depth. Unfortunately, that also means they require more effort to master than some other synths.

I suggest that you read the support articles I linked to earlier in this thread, and experiment with settings. You won’t break anything, and if you have specific questions, please ask.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2019 @ 11:19 AM
Mr.20c
Joined  02-21-2019

Thank you very for your help 5pin, I really appreciate it.👍

Brian,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2019 @ 10:35 PM
Mr.20c
Joined  02-21-2019

I want to thank all of you for your help, it baffles me how we all are put out in left field? Seriously,!
There use to be a time (when I bought my oberhiem) that someone could (or Is) knolagable about what I was interested in. And they really could go through “ everything” about it. Now a days.....😚.

I would give my front teeth to someone ( not literally, 😝) , but honestly, I miss that....so much,

We’re left to figure it all out,....aghhhhh, something is not write.....😌

I have been looking at the Genos…

Sounds like something I would love to have, BUT..........🙃

We’re is the “detailed” info...” literally” .when you take ownership...?

Please show us… you go from one synth to the next , the dynamics stay-midi.

But everything else....ahhhhh,...not so...everything keeps advancing...tech wise...but it kills me no one knows what it is they are standing in front of......middle man With no knowledge.......jmpov…

Jmpo...love Yamaha, but you leave us hanging....😏

5pin,
I did that , it did carry over , but it’s not IDENTICAL to what I had? I know your trying to help me and I do really appreciate that 5pin.. just wanted you to know....

Brian,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2019 @ 11:20 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Mr.20c - 27 February 2019 10:35 PM

I want to thank all of you for your help,

I’m happy to assist, and I’m sure other members feel the same.

Mr.20c -

it baffles me how we all are put out in left field? Seriously,!
There use to be a time (when I bought my oberhiem) that someone could (or Is) knolagable about what I was interested in. And they really could go through “ everything” about it. Now a days.....😚.

Well, there was a lot less to know about an early Oberheim than there is about one of the Motif family models.

It was also easier to fix them - for electronic problems, I could typically use off-the-shelf parts.

Mr.20c -

I would give my front teeth to someone ( not literally, 😝) , but honestly, I miss that....so much,

We’re left to figure it all out,....aghhhhh, something is not write.....😌

I have been looking at the Genos…

Sounds like something I would love to have, BUT..........🙃

We’re is the “detailed” info...” literally” .when you take ownership...?

Please show us… you go from one synth to the next , the dynamics stay-midi.

But everything else....ahhhhh,...not so...everything keeps advancing...tech wise...but it kills me no one knows what it is they are standing in front of......middle man With no knowledge.......jmpov…

Jmpo...love Yamaha, but you leave us hanging....😏

Brian,

Unfortunately, providing instantaneous knowledge of every aspect of a MOX is a bit beyond at least my abilities. Perhaps if I were Vulcan, a mind meld... ;-)

Seriously though, you might find the over 40 MOX support articles available on Motifator somewhat helpful…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/mox_articles/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2019 @ 11:30 PM
Mr.20c
Joined  02-21-2019

Unfortunately, providing instantaneous knowledge of every aspect of a MOX is a bit beyond at least my abilities. Perhaps if I were Vulcan, a mind meld… ;-)

Can I ask you, what it is you “ love”:as a true “machine” and why..?seriously.....? Let me explain where I am coming from,,,,

Agh,…

I love this…

Atticus Ross,Trent rezznor…

Let me see we’re you are..

Mind you, I am SO BeHInD.....But, That’s why we do what we do....,,,call it an enlightening....😉
Brian,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2019 @ 12:21 AM
Mr.20c
Joined  02-21-2019

That is not what I I said....exactly......😝
You guys are a lot of fun to be around...👍
I so happy to be here..😁👍

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2019 @ 12:33 AM
Mr.20c
Joined  02-21-2019

Yes, after revewing my “edeited” responses.

I got it.....

I really like being here....😏👍
I hope you mods are enjoying yourself....🙃

There something to be said about - pointing👉That’s where you go to get effects, and APPLY THEM TO EVERYTHING......😁
Brian

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Voice elements getting lost in songs
Next Topic:

where can I download drivers for mac? ››