mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Custom Drum Voice… Using various drums from other drum voices?"

Posted on: February 06, 2019 @ 04:25 AM
Intercooler
Total Posts:  17
Joined  07-06-2013

Greetings all…
I want to make a custom drum set using specific drums/snares/other sounds from the existing drum voices..
For example, if I wanted 8 from “Chill out kit one”, 4 from “Rock standard kit one” and 5 from “ Nu jazzy kit” ....
And then I wanted to place those that I choose on the keys I wished… On a User voice...... How do I do that?
Is it a simple “copy and paste” sort of job? Do I have to erase the sounds on a User voice I choose to place them in, or does the placing of those specific Toms/snares/high hats/etc automaticly overwrite the existing sound on that key in the voice I wish to overwrite? I have the half gig flash memory installed, but I feel that wont be needed? (hopefully not) I am a simple person, so if the language gets to technical I may get lost in the explanation, so simplicity is cool as The fonz....
I have had my XF6 for a few years, but now I want to step it up a notch, this will help… I will be adding sample sounds to the custom kit after I am done with this task, but I just want to keep it simple and on this “drum transfer” as I will call It....

Thank you all who can help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2019 @ 06:28 AM
jimbowal
Total Posts:  94
Joined  06-13-2014

Page 16 of the article -
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/drum_track_construction_tools
If you want to get really adventurous you could check out the manufactures website to see if they have soundfiles/samples etc
The Paiste website has files on all their cymbals (I thought they had them for their Gongs as well)
You can then convert to .wav format, save them to your flashcard and then import them into your custom kit.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2019 @ 10:28 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jimbowal - 06 February 2019 06:28 AM

Page 16 of the article -
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/drum_track_construction_tools

The support article linked to has a lot of good information, but the Building a custom Drum Kit and editing individual drum keys section on pages 16-18 omits the easiest way to transfer drum sounds from one kit to another.

Begin by making note of which kits and keys from them you want to transfer to another kit. Select the kit you want to modify, then just use the “Copy” Job. You can select the kit and key source, and the key to copy to in the current kit.

Details for the Job are on page 92 of the XF Reference Manual,
Copying another Voice Element to the current one - [F3] Copy.

STORE any changes you want to keep.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2019 @ 03:16 PM
Intercooler
Joined  07-06-2013

5pinDIN....... That is what I was looking for… I overlooked that section in the XF User manual because I did not know the correct terms (voice element)… I knew it had to be simple… Right on brother!

Now my next job is to map out what keys I would be copying from, and what keys I would be copying to. (All seasoned musicians sorry for my elementary level) So I have the XF6 with 61 keys. And the Drum voices all have 76 elements… C0 to C6… (octave shift down one to access the ones that would be to the left if I had a XF7) .... Is there an article, tutorial, or section of the manual that would help me get accustomed to the key designations? For the voice elements from voices I wish to copy from, and applied to the voice key I want to copy to… I got a little confused when seeing the keyboard layout (Page 10-11 in “ Motif XF6, XF7, XF8 owners manual") and where they are designated to on my XF6.. (as that keyboard layout is a XF8) ... I guess I am hoping there is a quick way to identify the drum/snare/etc I want to use (by its key designation) and copy it quickly with the Job/copy function on pg 92 as you pointed out..

Thanks alot 5pinDin…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2019 @ 04:48 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Intercooler - 06 February 2019 03:16 PM

5pinDIN....... That is what I was looking for… I overlooked that section in the XF User manual because I did not know the correct terms (voice element)… I knew it had to be simple… Right on brother!

I’m glad that’s what you needed.

Intercooler -

Now my next job is to map out what keys I would be copying from, and what keys I would be copying to. (All seasoned musicians sorry for my elementary level) So I have the XF6 with 61 keys. And the Drum voices all have 76 elements… C0 to C6… (octave shift down one to access the ones that would be to the left if I had a XF7) ....

I hope you won’t mind a slight correction. Motif Drum Voices/Kits have 73 sounds, which is the number of keys from C0 through C6. (Six octaves times 12, plus one.)

Intercooler -

Is there an article, tutorial, or section of the manual that would help me get accustomed to the key designations? For the voice elements from voices I wish to copy from, and applied to the voice key I want to copy to… I got a little confused when seeing the keyboard layout (Page 10-11 in “ Motif XF6, XF7, XF8 owners manual") and where they are designated to on my XF6.. (as that keyboard layout is a XF8) ...

The XF6 keyboard, when no octave shifting is applied, ranges C1~C6.

Intercooler -

I guess I am hoping there is a quick way to identify the drum/snare/etc I want to use (by its key designation) and copy it quickly with the Job/copy function on pg 92 as you pointed out..

Besides knowing the key range, there are two other things which should help.

1) Select a Drum Kit, then press [EDIT] > [1] buttons. Any key you hit could be edited. However, perhaps more importantly for your needs, the key (note number) will be identified.

2) The XF Data List shows all the factory Drum Kit note assignments on pages 18~31.

Intercooler -

Thanks alot 5pinDin…

You’re welcome. Have fun!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2019 @ 03:56 AM
Intercooler
Joined  07-06-2013

I also appreciate the link ‘Jimbowal’ put up.. It looks helpful in many respects as 5pinDin mentioned. I downloaded it and will be reviewing it.. (did not want you to think your input was not considered helpful)

But boy 5pindin did that open up some stuff I did not know… Looking at the options with the “edit” on a drum voice like you mentioned,I then stumbled on the “wave” options.. So it looks like I don’t even need to copy, but rather I can choose from the list… For each key as you said… This is more then what I was looking for and then some…

This dang machine is more then I thought it was, even though I knew it was a Cadillac ..... I have just been playing the drums and voices as is for the past few years… Now I see how dang easy it is to change the sounds on these drums to my liking..Yeehaa.. The dogs are unleashed now..

And I do not mind being corrected....One more question… You mentioned “The XF Data List shows factory drum kit assignments on pages 18-31” Where is that list found? I could not find it in the “Motif XF user manual” that I downloaded a few years ago..

What was once overwhelmingly blurry is now coming into focus, a little at a time....

Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2019 @ 09:02 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Intercooler - 07 February 2019 03:56 AM

I also appreciate the link ‘Jimbowal’ put up.. It looks helpful in many respects as 5pinDin mentioned. I downloaded it and will be reviewing it.. (did not want you to think your input was not considered helpful)

Yes, jimbowal provided a useful link.

Intercooler -

But boy 5pindin did that open up some stuff I did not know… Looking at the options with the “edit” on a drum voice like you mentioned,I then stumbled on the “wave” options.. So it looks like I don’t even need to copy, but rather I can choose from the list… For each key as you said… This is more then what I was looking for and then some…

Using the “Copy” Job transfers all the Parameters of the sound from the source kit. Changing just the Wave keeps the other Parameter settings of the original, which may not be appropriate for the new Wave choice. If you’re going to do that, you might want to first initialize the key, as described in the support article.

Intercooler -

This dang machine is more then I thought it was, even though I knew it was a Cadillac ..... I have just been playing the drums and voices as is for the past few years… Now I see how dang easy it is to change the sounds on these drums to my liking..Yeehaa.. The dogs are unleashed now..

And I do not mind being corrected....One more question… You mentioned “The XF Data List shows factory drum kit assignments on pages 18-31” Where is that list found? I could not find it in the “Motif XF user manual” that I downloaded a few years ago..

There are actually five manuals relevant to the Motif XF:
Owner’s Manual
Reference Manual
Supplementary Manual
Data List
Synthesizer Parameter Manual

The first four can be found here:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/contents/music_production/downloads/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=music_production&k=motif+xf

The Synthesizer Parameter Manual is here:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/323557/synth_en_pm_a0.pdf

Intercooler -

What was once overwhelmingly blurry is now coming into focus, a little at a time....

Thanks again.

Glad to help your “vision”.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Song Jobs, Pattern Jobs, etc When???
Next Topic:

Loading 128 voices on the XF ››