mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "I’d like some advice on an investment (new mixer, audio interface?)."

Posted on: January 26, 2019 @ 04:50 AM
Ed S
Total Posts:  40
Joined  02-16-2018

This post is probably way of where this part of the forum is meant for. But I also know who to turn to if I’m really confused about new equipment I need. At least I hope.

Currently I’ve connected my Moxf6 via USB to my Pc and also with analogue cables to my Hifi amplifier. So there’s a double data/analogue stream.

To make a long story short, I use an old (20+yrs) 4 band mixer (Monacor MPX-4200). My Moxf cables and my Pc are connected in this device.
Because the wiring inside the mixer has worn out an I start to hear “electric noise” and cracks I want to replace this mixer with a new one.

Searching on the Internet and Youtube there seem to be numerous possibilities. Varying from a simple audio-interface to a multi-track mixer. Also the prices are very strange to me because a simple looking mixer can cost 4 times the price of a professional mixer. I’m a real Midi-noob (as some of you know) and confused by the vast possibilities.

As I’m getting less of an amateur then I was a few years ago I’d like to buy a mixer of interface which fits my studio settings.
I use Cubase so it would come in handy if I could connect it to my Pc.

I noticed some more expensive mixer have “active-settings” for the different settings in Cubase. In other words the volume-sliders automatically adjust to the song loaded.

Thanks in advance for the advice and apologies for posting on the wrong place of this forum.

Greetz,
Ed S

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2019 @ 08:54 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

Hi

Since there are a fair few pros on this forum, I won’t give any advice on what to buy. ;-)
It probably would help the pros to know more about your requirements though, like how many inputs/channels you need?
If you would like to be able to record directly on the mixer/interface?
Will you need phantom power?

I think you described motorised faders in your post, afaik those are mainly present on digital mixers, which may be overkill (or may not be overkill, if that is what you want).

For the record, I don’t use my mixer, it’s in a box in the garage. I have an old m-Audio interface with 8 inputs which I also use as my ‘mixer’.

Merry gear hunting! ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2019 @ 01:17 PM
Ed S
Joined  02-16-2018

Thanks Zpink,

In my current setup I use 2 channels on my mixer. One for my Moxf6 and the auxiliary channel for my Pc.
The Moxf also has an input to plugin an instrument. Occasionally I plugin my Bass-guitar to jam along with some songs. Nobody would appreciate it when I would use a microphone cause my voice sounds like eh… never mind.

Phantom power sounds great. I just looked it up and seems to be related to active microphones, if I’m correct.
Question: If your old m-audio mixer is in the garage, how do you use it then?

Another problem is there’s not much information in Dutch. Most music shops are more then willing to sell a product but don’t like to take the time to discuss the needs of a product.

Anyway, the ‘gear hunt’ is just starting.

Thanks again for your reply.

Ed

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2019 @ 01:31 PM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

Hi

It’s my (Behringer)mixer that’s in the garage, the M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R is my audio interface that has almost all the inputs I need and therefore works as my mixer too.
Yeah, phantom power (48volts) is only needed for condenser mics.

If you only have the MoXF as external synth, maybe using it also as your audio interface would be enough?
I know some people do that but never tried it myself since I have other gear that wants their own inputs.
Pretty sure the quality of the MoXF interface is more than adequate, even though that’s better confirmed by someone more knowledgeable than myself!

Happy hunting!
z

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2019 @ 05:14 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

To the OP, I use one of These with my (3) stereo-keyboards rig.  They are no longer available, but cost about $100 when they were...a number of years back.

Nowadays, something like This or This would suit you fine.  Or This, if you want phantom power.

These are merely a few examples, there are many other similar choices.  But these represent the type of economical mixer that will best serve your needs.

Go for the additional-input models if you think adding keyboards or microphones might be in your future.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2019 @ 11:47 PM
Ed S
Joined  02-16-2018

Well that is a coincidence. This afternoon I stumbled on the
Yamaha MG10XU.

After some reviews which look promising, I think this could be a good investment for me.

Also I keep my favorite brand (Yamaha) and it comes with a Steinberg product so it should work fine in combination with my Moxf6 and Cubase.

Thanks for the reply and I’ll be around ;-)

Ed S

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2019 @ 03:58 PM
DickBanks
Total Posts:  9
Joined  12-17-2018
Ed S - 26 January 2019 04:50 AM

This post is probably way of where this part of the forum is meant for. But I also know who to turn to if I’m really confused about new equipment I need. At least I hope.

Currently I’ve connected my Moxf6 via USB to my Pc and also with analogue cables to my Hifi amplifier. So there’s a double data/analogue stream.

To make a long story short, I use an old (20+yrs) 4 band mixer (Monacor MPX-4200). My Moxf cables and my Pc are connected in this device.
Because the wiring inside the mixer has worn out an I start to hear “electric noise” and cracks I want to replace this mixer with a new one.

Searching on the Internet and Youtube there seem to be numerous possibilities. Varying from a simple audio-interface to a multi-track mixer. Also the prices are very strange to me because a simple looking mixer can cost 4 times the price of a professional mixer. I’m a real Midi-noob (as some of you know) and confused by the vast possibilities.

As I’m getting less of an amateur then I was a few years ago I’d like to buy a mixer of interface which fits my studio settings.
I use Cubase so it would come in handy if I could connect it to my Pc.

I noticed some more expensive mixer have “active-settings” for the different settings in Cubase. In other words the volume-sliders automatically adjust to the song loaded.

Thanks in advance for the advice and apologies for posting on the wrong place of this forum.

Greetz,
Ed S

Another option is to open up the mixer you have and spray some DeOxit on the connections.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2019 @ 07:11 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013
Ed S - 27 January 2019 11:47 PM

Well that is a coincidence. This afternoon I stumbled on the
Yamaha MG10XU.

After some reviews which look promising, I think this could be a good investment for me.

Also I keep my favorite brand (Yamaha) and it comes with a Steinberg product so it should work fine in combination with my Moxf6 and Cubase.

Thanks for the reply and I’ll be around ;-)

Ed S

Hey man I’ve got the MG10 its a sturdy little board, goes a very long way for the price.  If you needed something bigger than the MG10XU you’d probably already know that by now.  The fact that you not sure lets me know, that the MG10XU will probably get you started.  There’s nothing wrong with out growing a board, but buying overkill is just a waste of money.  If MG10XU has all of the inputs you’ll actually need, then go with it until it forces you to leave it :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2019 @ 10:48 PM
Ed S
Joined  02-16-2018

@ DickBanks: Thanks for the advice but like I wrote my current mixer is over 20 years old and was used by a street-artist before I got it. Some knobs are missing and it really served it purpose.

@ Lastmonk: I intend to use my new mixer for a long time so the $220,- will be a good investment. Thanks for your reply ;-)

Ed S

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ How sturdy is your MOXF?
Next Topic:

Jeff Lorbers voices ››