mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Good ways to save a MotifXF8 song in MIDI for use in Cubase?"

Posted on: December 08, 2018 @ 08:29 PM
Roland W.
Total Posts:  9
Joined  10-16-2011

Hello Guys,

I bet this has been asked before, but I can’t find a conclusive thread about it; if I missed it, I’d be happy if you can point me to it.

Question: I record some of my backings using performances and the sequencer on my MotifXF8. Next I wanted to move the recorded Midi file song to Cubase 9.5 Pro to adjust the recording and add other tracks to it. So that is the plan.

Ok, now when I record the stored Midi file to Cubase (creating a Midi track in Cubase and playback the song on the Motif) - Cubase records this nicely onto a Midi track which I can then dissolve into the different instrument tracks. But doing so does not put the Motif-specific details such as prog changes or CC’s that point to the correct instrument onto my Midi tracks. So I end-up taking the data list to edit the Cubase Midi tracks to make them point to the right voices on the Motif upon Midi file playback from Cubase.

I am sure there is a better way to go about this. 

Somewhere on here I was reading, that I can import the X3A file (I have the MotifXF extension in Cubase installed) - so I did that, hoping that this way I would get the CC’s and Prog changes - but I still don’t see them in my Midi List Editor.

If you had some advise for me, that would be great.

Cheers, Roland

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2018 @ 09:28 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I believe you’ll find this support article helpful:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xf_song_import

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2018 @ 03:15 PM
Roland W.
Joined  10-16-2011

Hi there,

Thank you! I followed all the steps (good idea the part with the MotifXF Editor) but I still don’t have the CC and prog change entries on the Midi tracks. What I mean by that: On my track 3 for example (which is a “Soft Case” piano) I should have the following in the List Editor before even the first note plays: MSB=63, LSB=0, PRG=25. And it is these entries that are missing. I was under the impression that these would be exported together with the Midi notes for each track.

Thanks again and have a super weekend. Cheers, Roland

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2018 @ 06:03 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Roland W. - 09 December 2018 03:15 PM

Hi there,

Thank you! I followed all the steps (good idea the part with the MotifXF Editor) but I still don’t have the CC and prog change entries on the Midi tracks. What I mean by that: On my track 3 for example (which is a “Soft Case” piano) I should have the following in the List Editor before even the first note plays: MSB=63, LSB=0, PRG=25.

You’re welcome.

CC = Control Change (or Continuous Controller). I presume that by “CC” you’re actually referring to Bank Select MSB/LSB. If not, please clarify.

Roland W. -

And it is these entries that are missing. I was under the impression that these would be exported together with the Midi notes for each track.

Some questions…
1) Have you installed the Motif XF Extension for your computer?

2) Did you specifically place a Program Change message (which includes Bank Select) in the Track data on the XF? If you only selected Voices for Parts in the Mix and then stored it, those selections will be stored in the Mix Header, not in Track data. If the Voice names show up on the XF’s display as soon as you select a Song (before hitting the Play button), then the information is stored in the header. Program Change selections placed in Tracks are displayed when the sequencer arrives at their time in the sequence.

3) Did you import the Mix data into Cubase?

You might want to use the XF’s Event List and verify what’s in the Track data - using the View Filter with only Program Change selected (check mark in box) makes it easy to determine, no matter where in a Track such a message might be located.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2018 @ 11:05 PM
Roland W.
Joined  10-16-2011

Hi there,

Sorry for my late reply - was out of town :-) Yes, with “CC” I meant the MSB/LSB, and yes to question 1; I have the Motif XF Extension installed and included in Cubase.

And no, I didn’t specify anything on the XF instrument itself. I just played along to a performance and recorded that to the onboard sequencer. Next I exported the X3A file (Type=all, FL1/FL2=with sample)where I was thinking that it will include all MIXING data. But if I scroll on the XF to my song number, it shows the 4 instruments of the recorded voices BEFORE I hit the play button.

You lost me with question 3 :-) I thought that the MIX data is automatically stored in the X3A file? I use the List Editor in Cubase to check, but there are no prog changes or MSB/LSB there. I can add them manually and then all works, but I was hoping that the X3A file import does that for me?

Thanks much again and have a super day. Cheers, Roland

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2018 @ 01:01 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Roland W. - 13 December 2018 11:05 PM

Hi there,

Sorry for my late reply - was out of town :-) Yes, with “CC” I meant the MSB/LSB, and yes to question 1; I have the Motif XF Extension installed and included in Cubase.

And no, I didn’t specify anything on the XF instrument itself. I just played along to a performance and recorded that to the onboard sequencer. Next I exported the X3A file (Type=all, FL1/FL2=with sample)where I was thinking that it will include all MIXING data. But if I scroll on the XF to my song number, it shows the 4 instruments of the recorded voices BEFORE I hit the play button.

Recording a Performance that way will place the Part Voice assignments in the Mix header. There won’t be any MSB/LSB/PC data in the individual Tracks.

Roland W. -

You lost me with question 3 :-) I thought that the MIX data is automatically stored in the X3A file? I use the List Editor in Cubase to check, but there are no prog changes or MSB/LSB there. I can add them manually and then all works, but I was hoping that the X3A file import does that for me?

The Mix data is certainly in the X3A file. I don’t use Cubase myself, but as far as I know if you want Mix data included in the Cubase project it has to be separately imported.

https://www.yamahasynth.com/motifxf-category/motif-xf-song-import-using-the-editor-vst

Roland W. -

Thanks much again and have a super day. Cheers, Roland

No problem. Have a good day yourself.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2018 @ 08:18 PM
Roland W.
Joined  10-16-2011

Hi There,

Thank you very much - that did the trick - it works!

So I can summarise (hoping I got this right now) that there are basically two ways to record and playback a performance from a MotifXF to Cubase AND it is best (regardless) to use the MotifXF Editor extension to import the X3A file. Once imported, the two ways are:

a) I manually edit each Midi track to point to the right instrument voice on the Motif (using MSB/LSB and Prg changes) which is what I had done up to now.
b) I capture the song data (X3A) using the Motif XF VST in Cubase and route the Midi track outputs in Cubase to the VST instead of the Motif instrument. The VST takes care of the instrument routing (sparing the details here).

That is a different approach from what I used to do but I think this is better and gives me also some more options - so many thanks again for pointing me the right way.

All works now - well, except for the drum kit track which doesn’t create any audible sound - but that’s a different topic which I’ll chase off-line for now.

So many thanks again! Have a great Christmas Season and take care! Cheers, Roland

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2018 @ 11:11 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome. There’s often more than one way to accomplish something with the Motifs, and the best approach might change depending on your workflow. I’m glad you have things working satisfactorily now. Happy Holidays.

[ Ignore ]