mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Classical Pedals: Mute Sostenuto Sustain"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: September 29, 2018 @ 05:47 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Did you read the Readme file that came with the OS update? It informs that all user data will be initialized, and instructs you to save an “All” file before installing the 1.60 OS.

See step 5 of the Readme. Once you’ve done what it says, let us know if there are remaining problems. (If you didn’t save an “all” file, at least do the factory reset.)

The update PDF explains functions added with 1.60, but it doesn’t cover changes made along the way. Since you didn’t update as new versions were released, you should download this…
http://download.yamaha.com/file/8926
...which will explain other changes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2018 @ 09:12 PM
oldkeys
Total Posts:  76
Joined  12-05-2010

Yes I followed all to the T. I think you misunderstand my problem.
I cannot care less about my previous user patches that is not the issue here.

The Motif boots up every time in this “Initialiased Master” Mode, (which it never did with the previous version) after which I can go to patch 1 manually. However this “Initialised Master” mode it now boots up into everytime COMPLETELY clears all my Sostenuto etc edits I made. I have to configure pedals now everytime I start the motif as well as any other changes I made last time I used it. !!!!!!

Again I cannot care less about saved data in the previous version. I use the Motif from scratch with the new version 1.6 but it is really full of headaches.
Is it possible to load the original factory software, so I can at least get back control and not have this destructive “Initialised Master” mode that comes up default and destroy all my settings I did previous to booting.
I cannot set up the Motif EVERYTIME I boot as this version software seemingly require.
It basically FORCES me to load all my data from an external source everytime I boot as it saves nothing after shutdown.

Furthermore the dealbraker is that the sostenuto bug they fixed seemingly was only fixed in version 1.6 so 1.5 is a nogo.

Why is this “Initialiased Master” Mode thing now the default and how do I switch it off so I can save edits. ?
All I want is that the Motif Boots into its first factory patch namely #1 Grand Piano.
I know some people might find master mode handy, but it is an annoyance as it interferes with saving the system pedal setups etc and just wipes all your edits on reboot.
I just need that switched of good.
I dont mind finding my patches I use. A lookup table is as good and I am used to do it fast. I dont need this Master mode annoyance that is now suddenly the default.

I found this online as the only reference, it is not even in the Xs manual.
“https://www.yamahasynth.com/moxf-category/understanding-the-master-mode”
However reading through this document there is no way to switch the thing off !

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2018 @ 11:18 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I fully understand what you’ve posted. However, you’re jumping to a lot of unjustified conclusions. I’ve used my XS with OS 1.60 installed for several years. It doesn’t exhibit what you’re complaining about.

“Initialized Master” is what the XS will boot to after the new OS has been installed until the factory reset is properly done.

I can help you resolve this, in a step-by-step manner. First do the factory reset procedure as in step 5 of the OS Readme. Be sure that you do not have a checkmark in the box next to Power On Auto Factory Set. See page 22 of the XS Owner’s Manual for details.

After rebooting, the XS should still boot to the first Master, but it should be “MOTIF XSperience”, not “Initialized Master”.

If you succeed with that, I’ll explain the next step. Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2018 @ 01:31 AM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

Ok I see .

It is pretty weird to have a factory reset AFTER you install an update and that is what confused me. I completely misunderstood that and did the factory update before. That is a bit of a cart before horse and unintuitive to do a factory reset after an installation, but if it is done so, then so it is.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2018 @ 02:11 AM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

I did the factory reset and rebooted. The dreaded “Initialized Master” Mode disappeared but is now replace by a traincrash hip drumbeat and jingle everytime I start the motif Lol! Sheesh! all I want to do is play piano.
How do I slay this new monster and just have Grand piano Factory patch one with my pedal configurations saved accross boots ?

I configured sostenuto 66 and it worked and no bug, but STILL if I boot then all my pedal sostenuto edits are gone and I have reconfigure it.
Still the same problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2018 @ 09:47 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
oldkeys - 30 September 2018 01:31 AM

Ok I see .

It is pretty weird to have a factory reset AFTER you install an update and that is what confused me. I completely misunderstood that and did the factory update before. That is a bit of a cart before horse and unintuitive to do a factory reset after an installation, but if it is done so, then so it is.

Installing the new OS initializes User data. Doing a factory reset then restores settings to User locations - Masters, User Voices, etc. That order is necessary and logical.

oldkeys - 30 September 2018 02:11 AM

I did the factory reset and rebooted. The dreaded “Initialized Master” Mode disappeared but is now replace by a traincrash hip drumbeat and jingle everytime I start the motif Lol! Sheesh! all I want to do is play piano.
How do I slay this new monster and just have Grand piano Factory patch one with my pedal configurations saved accross boots ?

I configured sostenuto 66 and it worked and no bug, but STILL if I boot then all my pedal sostenuto edits are gone and I have reconfigure it.
Still the same problem.

All of this would have been avoided if an “All” file had been saved before the OS update, and reloaded afterward, after doing a factory reset. Reloading the “All” file not only restores your “patches”, it also restores Utility/System settings. If you didn’t save the “All” file, that’s now irrelevant.

Therefore…
1) Press [UTILITY] > [F1](General) > [SF4](AutoLoad)
Change the Power On Mode Setting from “master” to whichever mode you’d prefer. Then press [STORE] so that the change will survive power cycling. When the XS is next powered up it should boot to the first Program (001) in the mode you chose. See (2) Power On Mode on page 262 of the Owner’s Manual for details.

2) Be sure to STORE any edits you make, and note which User location you’re storing to. If you return to that location after a reboot, the edits should have been retained. If you want the particular Program to be available after booting, it has to be STORED to User location 001, where Power On Mode should have been set to.

I suggest that once things are set up the way you want, SAVE an “All” file. If you ever need to load an “All” file that’s not your own, to avoid changes load it “without system”. If your settings ever somehow get overwritten, loading the “All” file you made previously will restore your own System settings.

Let us know how that goes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2018 @ 01:26 PM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

As I said I had no intention to save my previous patches so that is a non issue. Nothing to avoid.
I wanted to start clean.

In any case the all files dont save on usb. It says it does but there is nothing on the flashdisk that was formated with the motif. It does read from the flashdisk though as I could install the update from the flashdisk. That is not really a problem as I use tcp/ip and network drives anyway.

Done as you said above, and it now goes to the Xperience thing which is also not wanted. The Utility General edit did the trick to get rid of it.
I always had autoload on off as I thought it would stop this booting marketing nonsense but it seems to have no effect at all. The second setting set to preset 1 did the trick. The factory reset somehow fixed the HUGE reverb and settings saving issues. That process is severely unintuitive.

Yamaha could make this entire process cleaner. Substantial manual but completely fragmented and uncohesive.

Thanks for your help. You were very patient and kind to help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2018 @ 02:14 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
oldkeys - 30 September 2018 01:26 PM

As I said I had no intention to save my previous patches so that is a non issue. Nothing to avoid.
I wanted to start clean.

And as I said, it isn’t just a matter of saving “previous patches”. The System settings would have been restored, eliminating the problems you experienced. Although Yamaha isn’t perfect, second-guessing them in this case just led to frustration.

oldkeys -

In any case the all files dont save on usb. It says it does but there is nothing on the flashdisk that was formated with the motif. It does read from the flashdisk though as I could install the update from the flashdisk. That is not really a problem as I use tcp/ip and network drives anyway.

With proper usage, “All” files will save correctly to a USB flash drive. Since that’s not currently your concern, I won’t address it now.

oldkeys -

Done as you said above, and it now goes to the Xperience thing which is also not wanted. The Utility General edit did the trick to get rid of it.

Again, that wouldn’t have been needed if step 5 of the OS Readme had been followed.

oldkeys -

I always had autoload on off as I thought it would stop this booting marketing nonsense but it seems to have no effect at all. The second setting set to preset 1 did the trick. The factory reset somehow fixed the HUGE reverb and settings saving issues. That process is severely unintuitive.

AutoLoad has nothing to do with the problems you had. The Power On Mode setting determines where the XS boots to (that setting just happens to reside under the AutoLoad tab). That would have been restored to what it was previously if you had saved and reloaded an “All” file.

oldkeys -

Yamaha could make this entire process cleaner. Substantial manual but completely fragmented and uncohesive.

I won’t disagree that Yamaha documentation can be difficult to navigate. Dealing with that situation is one of the reasons the Motifator forums exist.

oldkeys -

Thanks for your help. You were very patient and kind to help.

You’re welcome. I try to stick with someone until their problems are resolved, if at all possible.

Please don’t take my correction of some of your statements personally. Since other XS users are likely to read this thread at some time, it’s best that they get accurate information. Otherwise, the issues brought up might have to be addressed over again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2018 @ 05:58 PM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

No problem, and no offense taken.
We are all entitled to our opinions.

My concern is just that this kind of thing make you play 20% of your time and fiddle 80% of your time with hardware and software where it should be 90% play in order to maintain a music career. It can be avoided with what you say above but can also be avoided by manufacturers actually using the product before release. It is software developer mentality, where you just throw something over the wall and users have to debug it and deal with unnecessarily convoluted methods. It wastes a lot of time and unfortunately this mentality has found its way into modern keyboards.
I mean all this just to get sustain and sostenuto to work...!?
It should be preconfigured for all the Grand piano patches. It is super dumb obvious.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2020 @ 02:09 AM
Acalinei
Total Posts:  15
Joined  01-25-2020

Hello.  I recently bought an xs6 and I have a problem with using the sustain pedal.  I use a no name switch pedal, which I used on psr 2000 and there it worked perfectly.  My problem is that the motif works in a sustained way and does not sustain on any instrument you use piano organ.  This bothers me very badly.  Is it possible to use the pedal only on sustain not sustained?  If yes I can do this also in the combination of piano plus strings, I can only sustain the piano and the strings remain naturally without effect.  I am new user of the motif and I do not understand.  Like, I don’t speak English but I use google translator.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Expression Pedal Assignments in Master Mode
Next Topic:

XS8 Saving A setup ››