mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Classical Pedals: Mute Sostenuto Sustain"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: September 04, 2018 @ 10:55 PM
oldkeys
Total Posts:  76
Joined  12-05-2010

This is regarding a Motif XS8

I searched the archives and got this useful post.
“http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/479211”

However, that is a while ago.

Questions
1) What is currently the best way to add the 3 classical pedals to the XS8 ?

2) What is the best value for money solution available in your opinion for these three pedals currently ?

3) Is there a 3-pedal product available in one housing in classical style?
All I could find was single pedals.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 05, 2018 @ 12:43 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The answer to your third question is yes. The problem is that while the XS responds to sustain and sostenuto, it doesn’t respond to soft control.

You might find these threads interesting:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/446120/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/453623/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/460848/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/472943/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 05, 2018 @ 01:33 AM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

Thanks 5pindin.
I will try all the advice in the links. will take some time before I report back.
I just find it curious that Yamaha dont have these three pedals available standard without having jump through loops on such a high level piano. I mean it is brain dead obvious.

Everytime I buy a piano never mind which brand, I always find a reason why I should have bought another rather. And so the circle goes Lol!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 05, 2018 @ 08:12 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

While an 88-key hammer action keyboard (such as that on the XS8) might make playing piano Voices a somewhat realistic experience, the Motif models are primarily synthesizers, not pianos.

If your usage of the XS8 is strictly as a piano, then indeed there may be better choices for you.  Yamaha definitely makes dedicated electronic pianos that have 3-pedal controllers available for them.

I hope you find a satisfactory pedal arrangement for your needs for use with the XS8.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 05, 2018 @ 12:29 PM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

It is difficult to find a keyboard with piano voices only. This one did a good job except for the pedals which I need. I basically use Classical Grand Piano 50% then Wurli Clavi Rhodes etc. I am not interested in the other noise.
In retrospect the NORD seems to be a better match for me, but I already bought the XS8

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 05, 2018 @ 12:42 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
oldkeys - 05 September 2018 12:29 PM

It is difficult to find a keyboard with piano voices only. This one did a good job except for the pedals which I need. I basically use Classical Grand Piano 50% then Wurli Clavi Rhodes etc. I am not interested in the other noise.
In retrospect the NORD seems to be a better match for me, but I already bought the XS8

It seems to me that you’ve missed several products that would fit your requirements. Yamaha and others make stage pianos that cover the particular voices you mentioned.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2018 @ 10:07 PM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

As an update, I bought three pedals and have sustain working. I will work on the remaining two pedals and update.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2018 @ 01:08 AM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

Ok, i got sustain and sostenuto to work great, but i stumbled on what is either a bug or a misconfiguration.
1) i have the sustain pedal in the footswith (sustain) socket and the sostenuto pedal in footswitch (assignable) socket.
2) i attach the setup in photos. First shows sustain pedal and second shows the configured sostenuto pedal.

Everything works great with great sustain and sostenuto, but as soon as i play rachmaninoff and press down both pedals at the same time (bad habit tnat doesnt i fluence the performance) then the entire xs8 freezes up and i have to reboot to get it working.
What the heck is this? A bug? A misconfiguration?
This ONLY happens if i press both pedals down at the same time while playing.

Somehow the images fail to upload to motifator forum so i will have to link them externally tomorrow.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2018 @ 07:08 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
oldkeys - 26 September 2018 01:08 AM

Somehow the images fail to upload to motifator forum so i will have to link them externally tomorrow.

Make sure they’re not excessively large, and ZIP them. No matter what the original file extension, ZIPs will attach.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2018 @ 02:08 AM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

I will do so in a while. I am away from my pc and can only upload from my tab.

1)
In the mean time, how is half_damper implemented?  Does it require a poteniometer pedal and not a switch ? At the moment i have a switch pedal and not a potentiometer pedal on the sustain. So does the motif xs8 actually work with a potentiometer in the sustain position and does it implement half-damper when pressed in half way?
I was elated to find that it seems posibly so......

From maketing schpiel.
“Other Voice-related features include a uniquely natural “half damper” effect for acoustic piano sounds. This gives you nuanced control over the sustained sound when pressing the damper pedal, depending on how far down you press the pedal. “

2) The pesky so pedal that is not implemented....
Then i know that the “soft pedla” is not implemented.  Is it possible to configure one of the assignable inputs to switch between two patches by footcontrol switch.? That way i can create a soft patch of the original that can be activated by the footswitch. Of course the sostenuto and sustain/damper pedals must still work in conjunction with this patch switching scheme.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2018 @ 06:54 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
oldkeys - 28 September 2018 02:08 AM

I will do so in a while. I am away from my pc and can only upload from my tab.

1)
In the mean time, how is half_damper implemented?  Does it require a poteniometer pedal and not a switch ? At the moment i have a switch pedal and not a potentiometer pedal on the sustain. So does the motif xs8 actually work with a potentiometer in the sustain position and does it implement half-damper when pressed in half way?
I was elated to find that it seems posibly so......

Yes, a continuous controller type pedal is required. Yamaha specifies its own FC3(A).
http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/motif-xs-accessories/fc3a-half-damper-sustain-pedal.html
Other pedals may or may not work correctly.

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/half_damper_function1

oldkeys -

2) The pesky so pedal that is not implemented....
Then i know that the “soft pedla” is not implemented.  Is it possible to configure one of the assignable inputs to switch between two patches by footcontrol switch.? That way i can create a soft patch of the original that can be activated by the footswitch. Of course the sostenuto and sustain/damper pedals must still work in conjunction with this patch switching scheme.

Thanks

The XS doesn’t have the specific functionality you’re asking for built in. Even selecting a different Voice or Performance by pushing a button will cause a “glitch” when switching. Voice selection is seamless when assigned to Parts of a Song/Pattern Mixing, as I previously suggested (http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/480669/). See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_mixing_setup_for_multiple_sounds_live

If you get a Mixing configured so that the switching works to your satisfaction via button selection, we can discuss how SysEx messages can select Parts via external MIDI pedal.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2018 @ 06:49 PM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

“ Yes, a continuous controller type pedal is required. Yamaha specifies its own FC3(A).
http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/motif-xs-accessories/fc3a-half-damper-sustain-pedal.html
Other pedals may or may not work correctly.

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/half_damper_function1

Ok that is a potentiometer pedal then. I dont need the Yamaha pedal I can change potentiometers on pedals I have till it works the way I want.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2018 @ 01:40 AM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

Just another question before I address the possible bug I mentioned:
I might have a very old operating system on this as I never updated it. I want to make sure that all the software on the Motif is current as the bug I found might have been addressed in updates.
Online searches refers me back to Motifator for the updates.

Do you have a sticky here how to update the Motif XS8 ?
I couldnt find something cohesive searching the forum.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2018 @ 09:23 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
oldkeys - 29 September 2018 01:40 AM

Just another question before I address the possible bug I mentioned:

You mentioned pictures related to the problem, but never posted them.

oldkeys -

I might have a very old operating system on this as I never updated it. I want to make sure that all the software on the Motif is current as the bug I found might have been addressed in updates.
Online searches refers me back to Motifator for the updates.

To check the OS version…
Press and release the [UTILITY] button to get into Utility mode.
Then press [UTILITY], [ ^ ](Cursor Up) and [F1] buttons at the same time. Check the Firmware Version. Ignore the second decimal point and any digits after it.

The most recent XS OS is version 1.60 - if yours isn’t, besides possible bug fixes you’re missing out on added features.

oldkeys -

Do you have a sticky here how to update the Motif XS8 ?
I couldnt find something cohesive searching the forum.

Updating instructions are included in the OS download:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/21001

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2018 @ 11:06 AM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

Thanks a lot !

Motif XS Firmware Version 1.05.6
Motif XS Kernel Version2.6.10_mvl401 etc
Motif XS Contents Version 1.05.6

I will update and see if the pedal problems disappear.

Bingo, my problem is listed in the Bugs corrected by the upgrade.

- Fixed a problem in which receiving a Sostenuto On message followed by a Sustain message while holding any note on the keyboard would result in the instrument operation freezing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2018 @ 02:45 PM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

Ok the update fixed the Sustain/Sostenuto bug.

Unfortunately now new problems arise.
Sustain work great and Sostenuto works great except now as soon as I press sostenuto I get HUGE reverb that I never configured.
Even if I turn down all reverb on the LHS upper effects channel Sostenuto still comes with HUGE reverb.
Sheesh ! Cant figure out how to fix that, the old software worked great without this HUGE reverb on sostenuto and I might want to go back if downgrade is possible.

It is also not possible to keep setting. Eg I configure the Sostenuto pedal and it works but after rebooting it always starts with “Initialized Master” and not with 01_ Concert Grand… as was usually the case.

It seems as if it absolutely wipes my settings every time I power off and then on with this annoying “Initialised Master” issue that is always my first patch. Can I switch that crap off somehow? Nowhere in the manual they treat the case where the systems boot um in an “Initialised Master” Patch.

The Multipart control also doesnt work anymore.

It seems to me as if this upgrade is way worse than the old version I had.
Is there any way to downgrade to factory if this is truly how the newest software works?

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Expression Pedal Assignments in Master Mode
Next Topic:

XS8 Saving A setup ››