mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Reverse Piano voice for ES"

Posted on: August 01, 2018 @ 04:17 PM
RichP
Total Posts:  34
Joined  06-23-2007

I have a Motif ES and want to create a Reverse Piano voice like YES uses on ROUNDABOUT. I’ve never done integrated sampling or DAW editing and could use some detailed direction. Or does anyone have a suggestion for a voice libraries to purchase that has Reverse Piano voices? Another option, are there any users willing to create the voice for the ES and provide a loadable W7A/W8A file for a fee?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 01, 2018 @ 11:42 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

Can you load a .WAV File?  I could likely drive to Rochester faster that typing the instructions.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 02, 2018 @ 12:08 PM
KMKKEYS
Total Posts:  141
Joined  02-16-2009

Stone,

That’s funny.  Wave files are so easy to load, then you can do as you wish with the sample.

Better than that, just use an editor that converts mp3 to a .wav file and sample the original sound and assign them to two keys and trigger the samples.  I’m pretty sure this illegal, but it is a work around.

I have a few boards including the ES and I though there may be a reverse piano that you could save as a preset.  If not, I’m relatively sure that you can manipulate a piano sample in the ES sampling section or do it on a computer using something like Audacity to manipulate the sample and save it as a wave file and then load it into the ES.

Sorry for the rambling,

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 02, 2018 @ 09:43 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
KMKKEYS - 02 August 2018 12:08 PM

Stone,

That’s funny.  Wave files are so easy to load, then you can do as you wish with the sample.

Better than that, just use an editor that converts mp3 to a .wav file and sample the original sound and assign them to two keys and trigger the samples.  I’m pretty sure this illegal, but it is a work around.

I have a few boards including the ES and I though there may be a reverse piano that you could save as a preset.  If not, I’m relatively sure that you can manipulate a piano sample in the ES sampling section or do it on a computer using something like Audacity to manipulate the sample and save it as a wave file and then load it into the ES.

Sorry for the rambling,

Kenny

Hey Kenny,

Some good points there and there’s nothing wrong with rambling. I probably should have been more informative with my reply to RichP. I sensed a bit of possible urgency to his posts and was wondering what would be the best way to satisfy his request. From his previous posts I believe he has the necessary Dimms and experience to load .wav files. Or if he’d like to do this on his own and has time I’d post the steps to do it. In lieu of that I’d drive out and show him since I’m not far away. So I left a lot out and sadly not many people speak or interpret “Stone” very well. Drives people nuts.

I’ve never been a fan of ripping samples from tracks and I’m not saying it’s good or bad, it’s just something I’ve never been into. For certain the result of doing so would be spot on. I’ve created a .wav of a reverse piano and will post it shortly.

Nice hearing from you and hope all is well.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 02, 2018 @ 10:23 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011

Roundabout Reverse Piano .wav.

My trip on the internet revealed that the original recording was accomplished with the two lowest E notes of a piano being held and the resulting tape of the session being played backwards thus creating the sound heard in the intro. Personally I believe there was a whole lot of information left out. Perhaps one day if circumstances provide I’ll capture a source that includes the string resonance that I hear on the original recording.

Beware of the levels if using headphones, it scores a little on the warm side here.

Edit: This example blew chunks. I’d hit the one in my post below.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 03, 2018 @ 07:15 AM
RichP
Joined  06-23-2007

Stone, Thanks so much for the .wav file and your help! Im away from my board for about a week but will let you know. I have not tried loading a wav file before but this is awesome and I hope it works. I will post after I give it a try. I did a little reading on how to load a .wav and convert to a voice.  There are some requirements. I think it said for the wav to load it needs to be 24 bit and 44.1KHz. Cant wait to give it a stab. Kenny, thanks for your suggestion too. Really appreciate input from you both!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 03, 2018 @ 08:13 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
RichP - 03 August 2018 07:15 AM

[...] I think it said for the wav to load it needs to be 24 bit and 44.1KHz. [...]

A 24-bit file won’t work - but Stone’s is 16-bit/44.1kHz, which should.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 03, 2018 @ 07:58 PM
RichP
Joined  06-23-2007

Great 5Pin thanks for your help also. I did try and use the instructions you suggested for integrated sampling on p.178 but couldn’t record. I’m not sure why but nothing recorded when I hit the record button and struck the note I was trying to sample. The L/R channel received the signal but nothing recorded. I need to dig into it more.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 03, 2018 @ 11:46 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011

Hey Rich, you’re welcome, pleasure to help if I can.  Please note the edit in my post above. I’ll post the steps in your other thread tomorrow and maybe that will help clear up any issues you had.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 04, 2018 @ 07:34 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Nice work, Stone. I’m sure RichP won’t be the only one to appreciate it. Posting the procedure you used would be helpful for many, also.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 04, 2018 @ 11:19 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
5pinDIN - 04 August 2018 07:34 AM

Nice work, Stone. I’m sure RichP won’t be the only one to appreciate it. Posting the procedure you used would be helpful for many, also.

Thank you 5pin, and I responded with the details in his other post which may be easier located through a search engine and relative to the header topic.

I left the first .wav posted as it represents the 2 note method described on-line. In the second .wav I introduced more notes that seem to appear in the original recording. Sometimes I imagine that it sounds like a clean Strat is playing along with it. Then my foggy memory recalls mention of a chain being laid upon the strings. Perhaps that was a different song altogether. Yikes.

I sampled the Ravenscroft 275 Piano for iOS with poor results, hoping to get some use out of it. While a fantastic sounding app at this point it would be best suited for a click track, if only the clicks and pops would be in a predictable pattern.

All the Best,
Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2018 @ 09:19 PM
KMKKEYS
Total Posts:  141
Joined  02-16-2009

If the sample is a .wav file, load it.  I’m assuming that you have some RAM installed.  After it is loaded, it is probably assigned to a single key.  If I recall, it usually is assigned to C3.  When you press that key, the entire sample should play as long as you hold the key down.  You can assign that sample to any key you desire or several keys.
Once you’ve done it, it is relatively simple.

Let us know how it works out.

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2018 @ 09:36 PM
RichP
Joined  06-23-2007

The .wav file of the triad reversed is great, thank you Stone! I loaded the .wav file and edited the attacks to 100, into a user1 voice at E2 since that’s the root of the triad. I needed a C2 voice also but I could not get the keyfollow command to work. I found another way though. I did a Voice/Int Samp/Edit/Range/Range C2-E2.  Pretty sweet, it worked! I’m having one last problem though. I cant get it to store into the Flash ROM so it saves it when I power down. I have it backed up on a Thumb drive and have to load it after every power down. Tried several things and read the manual but i’m missing it.  What am I doing wrong???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2018 @ 10:05 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
RichP - 12 August 2018 09:36 PM

[...] I’m having one last problem though. I cant get it to store into the Flash ROM so it saves it when I power down. I have it backed up on a Thumb drive and have to load it after every power down. Tried several things and read the manual but i’m missing it.  What am I doing wrong???

You’re not doing anything wrong. SDRAM is volatile - data stored in it doesn’t survive a power down. Unlike the XF, which can have optional flash modules, the ES has no such user flash memory for samples.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2018 @ 10:06 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011

You’re welcome, glad you’ve got it happening. I’m attaching both the Emin and Cmaj .wavs if anyone needs them. I gather you’ve created a Voice with E2 and C2 note limited to their respective waveforms. Cool.

Sadly you will need to reload your file after a power cycle as the Data is volatile. You may find that Auto Load may help speed the process. See pg. 135 of the Owners Manual. The ES is a bit slow on the load time. It’s a bit of a drag and a good idea to avoid loading Waveforms that you don’t need or use. Also avoid duplicating the Waveforms and eliminate any Dupes you may find.

Let us know of any snags you may run into.

Stone

File Attachments
Reverse Piano .wavs.zip  (File Size: 1552KB - Downloads: 597)
  [ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Advice for organ and sweep
Next Topic:

switching between voices using expression pedal? ››