mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to create Reverse Piano Voice"

Posted on: July 30, 2018 @ 10:43 PM
RichP
Total Posts:  34
Joined  06-23-2007

I have a Motif ES and want to create a Reverse Piano voice, like Yes uses on Roundabout intro. I’ve never done integrated sampling and could use some advice. Not having a lot of luck. Any suggestions for a voice libraries to purchase?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 04, 2018 @ 10:15 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

My cut to the chase method for accomplishing this:

Back up any existing data you may cherish as it may be placed in peril.

To resample a Preset Piano Voice, select the Voice, press Integrated Sampling then F6 (rec)
Set Sample source/Input source to Resample
Set Sample Destination to an empty location, Keybank defaults to C3 remember this for a bit
Press F6 (standby), Record Gain +12dB, Trigger Level 001
Press SF1 (confirm) then F5 (start), Recording begins when you strike the keys.
Press F6 (stop) at the desired time, press Enter to fix.
Press Edit, scroll to Play Mode, Set to Reverse, Press Enter then Yes to extract.
Press Integrated Sampling then Voice to return to Voice Mode.

Press Integrated Sampling, select the Waveform you’ve created, Press Job>Keybank
Scroll to Normalize>Enter, Ratio = 100%, Press SF4 to execute, Enter to fix.
Press F2 (waveform), scroll to Rename, press enter.
Highlight New Waveform and name it as desired, Press Enter>Enter>Yes to execute.
Press Voice to return to Voice Mode, Waveform is made.

From Voice Mode, initialize a Voice. Press Edit>Element 1, set Wavebank to User and select your waveform.
Press F2 (pitch) and set Key Follow to 0%. Waveform now triggers from all keys or as specified by use of the Note Limit Range.
Press F4 (Amplitude) then SF2 (AEG) set the attack to 100.
Press F3 (Filter) then SF2 (FEG) set attack to 100.
Adjust Filter and EQ to taste.
No Effects other than a bit of Compression via Insert 1.

When satisfied, name and store the Voice to a previously mentioned non-cherished location in the event that you did not back up your data. Finally, back up your newly created data so that you may visit it again one day.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 04, 2018 @ 10:57 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011

In honor of Paul Harvey, Page Two:
Observations:

My latest research from the internet indicates that this was recorded as the two lowest E notes on a piano. For whatever reason to me it sounds as though more notes are involved and I added a triad of G B E an octave above the 2nd E and it yielded much better results. If your instrument does not have 88 keys you’ll need to tune it appropriately before recording. I clocked the original segment from the studio recording at an average of 7.63 seconds and attempted to match that as close as possible while recording thus avoiding further editing of the waveform and saving time.

While a good task to accomplish I think it’s not to be forgotten that this yields a reverse sample of a digital piano and naturally lacks the inherent qualities of a decent acoustic piano. Maybe one day I’ll sample the original and reverse it to hear what’s really going on.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2018 @ 11:41 PM
RichP
Total Posts:  34
Joined  06-23-2007

Stone, Holy crap...that sounds really amazing. Thank You so much for the research, the step by steps and the .wav. I loaded it into an initialized voice and adjusted the Amplitude and Filter Attacks to 100. Sounds great! I’m only having trouble with the Key Follow command.  I can not get the waveform to trigger in semitones. I believe the tune only uses a reverse E and reverse C triad in the intro. The manual says in Voice mode, Edit F2 Pitch/KeyFlw/Pitch Sens/ set to 100 for semi tones. If set to “0” as you stated, the same tone will trigger on every key. I tried both but can not get the voice tone to change.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2018 @ 01:37 AM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011

Hey Rich,

You’re welcome and my apologies as I only listened to the first 8 seconds. Yikes! Humming along from memory here and I recall the C that you mention. I believe that would be a C Maj7 and you’d need another .wav. I’m not in a position to do this at the moment but I will create and post it late tomorrow afternoon. I’ll put it in the other thread so that it is complete. Your best bet may be to create a User Drum Voice for the .wavs. I often do that and assign them to an area I don’t need if possible. What’s real handy is having a drummer with a Roland SPD-SX to hand them off to. Love those things.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif ES7 favorites
Next Topic:

Motif ES 6 + Cubase 9.5 USB Midi Setup ››