mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Configuring the Motif XF and Novation Impulse MIDI controller"

Posted on: June 25, 2018 @ 09:55 PM
alex.r
Total Posts:  2
Joined  06-25-2018

Hi!

This is my first post on this forum. I recently bought Motif XF6 and i am very happy with it.
First of all I have to thank you all for making this community great, there is so much stuff that helps.
However, there is one thing that is bit too complicated for me at least for now to grasp all by myself, so i need help, and I can’t find it on the forum.

I bought a MIDI controller Novation Impulse 61. I connected it via MIDI cable from Novation’s OUT to Motif’s IN.

I have some songs that use complex sound setups, where i need to play e.g. two separate sounds (voices) on Motif, and also three other split sounds on Novation (from Motif’s engine).

Novation impulse can be configured to transmit on 4 separate channels, you can make 4 zones with separate key ranges on it (20 presets for that).

So far, i have found few posts here, where people ask how to play one sound on Motif, and other (Motif’s sound) via external MIDI keyboard connected to Motif. So it is Song or Pattern mode where you set the MIDI controller’s channel to track number (channel) that you want to play. Not a problem.

But i need to play for example organ sound on lower half of the Motif, some bells on the upper half, pad on first half of Novation and combination of piano and synth lead on the upper half of the Impulse (all sounds are coming from Motif).

Do i do it in song/mix mode, or it must be a Song mode through a Master mode.
If so, do i use zones, and how do i make octave shifts for every sound (do i need to make voices with note shifts, or i can do it in master mode alone)

Also, during my procees of trying to make it work, in master mode; Ext. switch confuses me, does it have any effect on the Impulse? (because Impulse doesn’t have tone generator)

To be honest, while im in love with Motif’s sounds, im still new to it’s controls and workflow, and i’m bit confused on how to do it, due to my lack of MIDI-related and Motif-related knowledge.

Step by step tutorial would be really appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help in advance! :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2018 @ 08:27 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

It should be possible to do what you’ve asked about by using a Song (or Pattern) Mixing.

In either a Song or Pattern Mixing, the MIDI Receive Channel can be separately set for each of the Parts. See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_mixing_setup_for_multiple_sounds_live
and (1) Receive Channel on page 194 of the XF Reference Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/48531).

Splits are created by using Note Limit. Mixing Part Edit parameters on page 194 of the XF Reference Manual refers back to page 109 for details. See (15) Note Limit on the “Voice Settings” screen on that page, and the description on page 110.

Also see (8) Note Shift on the same pages. That’s used to have splits cover desired note ranges. The range can be shifted by up to +/- 24 semitones (+/- 2 octaves).

The split you want to play on the XF would be selected by using the [1]~[16] numbered buttons. What the Novation Impulse plays would be selected by the MIDI channel it transmits on.

I suggest you start by setting up a split to play on the XF, perhaps with Receive Channel set to “1”. If you have any problems doing that, let us know what the difficulty is. Once you succeed with that, try setting up another split, using a different Receive Channel. Then set the Impulse to transmit on a matching MIDI channel, and verify that it plays the XF as expected. If needed, additional splits can be set up on other MIDI channels.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Moving User Voice from XF to XF
Next Topic:

Headset mic for XF vocoder ››