mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording Pattern or Song Channels in a DAW"

Posted on: June 19, 2018 @ 12:47 AM
marks
Total Posts:  11
Joined  06-18-2018

Hello Friends!

First time poster, and still in the throes of having a huge crush on my recently purchased MOXF8!

I am a Logic Pro X user and have been able to successfully direct multiple Pattern or Song channels to separate channels on the DAW, while using the DAW to record the tracks individually as MIDI and also record the Audio tracks separately by way of Audio In 3 & 4 from the MOXF8.

I realize I can create one audio channel for each MIDI channel in this manner and basically create a piece, one track at a time.

I also know I can completely program things on the MOXF8 using the Song or Pattern sequencer, and record its output as audio.

However, my question is, can I send the Pattern sequencer as MIDI output also such that the MIDI data from the pattern is recorded where it can be subsequently edited?  I don’t seem to be having much luck in this regard. When playing the pattern using the play button, I get only audio output, but none of the MIDI from the pattern.

Any guidance on whether or not this is possible would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Mark

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2018 @ 01:14 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Yes, you can do that.

You can start by reading through This Thread, which outlines use with Cubase, but certainly could be translated to Logic Pro.

philwoodmusic also provides some great information in This Thread.

Hopefully, he will chime in on this thread, as he certainly has extensive experience recording MIDI from the MOXF.

Also, for sure search through the Logic Forum Page here at Motifator.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2018 @ 12:14 PM
marks
Joined  06-18-2018

Thanks for taking a moment to reply. I’ll review all the resources you suggest and report back!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2018 @ 04:36 PM
Davelet
Total Posts:  58
Joined  07-27-2017

You can do this, yes, and indeed I have done it just to prove to myself that it can be done, but now I just save the pattern chain or song as an SMF to the USB stick in your MOXF, move said USB stick over to the computer, and then import the SMF into Cubase (or Logic Pro in your case).

It’s quicker than playing the pattern/song from the MOXF, plus the notes line up *exactly* with the grid rather than having a small delay between them and the grid, which you get when you play the file from the MOXF, even with MIDI timecode, etc, setup correctly.

David.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2018 @ 08:43 PM
marks
Joined  06-18-2018
Davelet - 19 June 2018 04:36 PM

You can do this, yes, and indeed I have done it just to prove to myself that it can be done, but now I just save the pattern chain or song as an SMF to the USB stick in your MOXF, move said USB stick over to the computer, and then import the SMF into Cubase (or Logic Pro in your case).

It’s quicker than playing the pattern/song from the MOXF, plus the notes line up *exactly* with the grid rather than having a small delay between them and the grid, which you get when you play the file from the MOXF, even with MIDI timecode, etc, setup correctly.

David.

Thanks David. Have family here from out of town but will be giving this all a crack this coming week and will report back.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2018 @ 05:02 PM
Davelet
Total Posts:  58
Joined  07-27-2017

Just one additional thing - if you do record the MIDI to Cubase then all channels will be on one track. To separate them out to 16 tracks, one per channel, you need to sleeve that one track and go to MIDI->Dissolve parts. If you have the full version of Cubase you can also use the MIDI transformer to do it on the fly, but that’s a bit more fiddly to setup.

David.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2018 @ 05:59 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

This is a short guide about the same function as ‘dissolve parts’ but in Logic.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13044?locale=en_GB

[ Ignore ]