mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOTIF ES7, Sliders failure, Any advice?"

Posted on: June 08, 2018 @ 06:48 PM
RHproducer
Total Posts:  60
Joined  10-19-2017

Hi Guys,

The volume slider and the fourth Element Slider of my ES32 need to be repaired they make noise when I move them and sometimes the volume in general lowers itself, it’s noticeable there’s a bad contact, I can tell since when I barely touch it the volume comes back to the regular level, if I barely touch it again, it doesn’t sound.

I asked a friend to take it to a technician and he says the technician recommended to purchase the whole part, probably in eBay, he also told the knobs part should be changed as well, like if it is part of the sliders internally under the metal case.

have you faced a similar situation?

Greetings!

Image Attachments
Motif Controllers.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2018 @ 11:00 PM
KMKKEYS
Total Posts:  141
Joined  02-16-2009

They all make noise?  Did something spill into the sliders?  For all of them to act up, it seems that something spilled into the board or possibly something may have fallen on them causing some type of damage.

In any event, any technician should be able to change these with minimum problems. 

Contact Yamaha for the parts to ensure that you get the right parts.  Ebay may have what you need, but make sure that you are buying the right sliders.  Yamaha will also have a tech registered in your area to bring it to be fixed.

I also have an ES6 and never experienced this problem, but I have had similar problems on other boards primarily from someone spilling beer into my board.  This, even after it dries needed to be replaced, but I recall the same noise and intermittent problems as you describe.

Someone on Motifator will more than likely be able to tell you what part you need and you may be able to change it yourself depending on what you know about repairs.

Hope this helps,

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 11, 2018 @ 06:17 PM
RHproducer
Total Posts:  60
Joined  10-19-2017

Thank you for your response KmKKYS,

Nothing spilled into the sliders, at least that I know, haha, I purchased a used ES7 and after 3 or 4 years of usage it presented the problem. I’ll try to contact yamaha and I’ll inquire about the part name

Greetings!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 11, 2018 @ 11:22 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Yamaha parts for Motif ES:
WA23570R Master Volume Slider Variable Resistor
VH33560R Control Slider Variable Resistor
V410290R Knob Rotary Variable Resistor

Due to their open slot, slide controls are susceptible to contaminants entering. Sometimes a good quality “fader” cleaner/lubricant spray can resolve contact problems.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 12, 2018 @ 04:57 PM
KMKKEYS
Joined  02-16-2009

5pinDIN,

I’m glad that you brought a good quality cleaner/lubricant.  I had a can that was given to me by a friend/technician and have since lost track of my friend and the can of cleaner.

Any particular brand of cleaner/lubricant that you may recommend.  I have other boards that can benefit from a cleaning.  I was always told that some may leave a film that can hinder performance in the long run.

Thanks,

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 18, 2018 @ 04:36 PM
KMKKEYS
Joined  02-16-2009

Anybody have any ideas???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 18, 2018 @ 06:13 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
KMKKEYS - 12 June 2018 04:57 PM

[...] Any particular brand of cleaner/lubricant that you may recommend.  I have other boards that can benefit from a cleaning.  I was always told that some may leave a film that can hinder performance in the long run.

I don’t want to make a recommendation because the product(s) I’ve used in the past are probably no longer available, or the chemical composition may have been changed. In general I suggest that such products be used only when the alternative is to replace the slider - I don’t suggest routine use. The problem with using an inadequate product is that while the contact problem might be resolved, sliding of the control may no longer be smooth.

Sometimes the best result can be obtained if a product can be applied directly to the carbon resistance track using a hollow needle. A bright light shined into the slot might reveal a dull black track, to which the product can be applied. That method avoids disturbing other lubrication (often a silicone grease), minimizing the chance of changing the feel of the control. Naturally, such work should be done with power turned off.

If a control that would otherwise need replacement doesn’t respond well to cleaning, then the control can still be replaced. If the cleaning works well, then of course down time and the cost of replacement is eliminated or at least deferred.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif ES vs Motif Classic
Next Topic:

Motif ES smart card ››