mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF8 favourites bank?"

Posted on: May 26, 2018 @ 10:03 AM
chrisking497
Total Posts:  32
Joined  05-26-2018

Hi,

Does the MOXF8 have the ability to setup a number of voices/performances for quick access in live performance?

If so, how many favourites/banks of favourites are available?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2018 @ 10:37 AM
hernejj
Total Posts:  10
Joined  05-21-2018

Hi. I’m very new to my MoXF6 (which is nearly identical to the MoXF8) but I’ll tell you the little bit I know. You can set up favorites in voice mode which allows you to quickly access them via the category search without having to navigate menus. I think the same favorites mechanism works in performance mode as well. But this is probably not the ideal method for recalling sounds for live play.

It sounds like you really want user banks. The machine has 3*8*16 = 384 user banks for voices. This means you can recall any voice of your choosing with any modifications and/or effects you choose to apply. All you have to do to recall it is select the bank. One or two button presses will do this.  There are less user banks for performances but I think you still get 1*8*16 = 128?

Then there is Master mode which, I’ve heard, allows you to set up banks that can contain either performances or voices. I’ve not played with this mode yet and have no idea how it works.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you want any more info on anything.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2018 @ 10:51 AM
chrisking497
Joined  05-26-2018

Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply. I definitely do need user banks - for voices and performances but mostly voices. My Roland Fantom X6 has 8x8 banks favourites available for singular patches which is ideal for most of the live gigging I do.

Say I program a group of voices I need for a particular gig, can I save that group to USB and load/reload it as necessary when that gig comes around? Does that make sense?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2018 @ 11:11 AM
hernejj
Total Posts:  10
Joined  05-21-2018

The banks are chosen by first selecting a letter from the buttons at the right of the keyboard, A-H. After that you select a specific voice by choosing one of the 16 sub-banks associated with that letter bank by choosing a number button 1-16.  To go even further there are “bank select increment/decrement” buttons above your letter buttons.

So you have three Master Banks that are selected by using the “bank select increment/decrement” buttons. I think they are named USR1, USR2 and USR3 or something like that.

The process for selecting a voice is: Choose a master bank, press a letter button then press a number button. This gives you a total of 384 voices. So I doubt you’d need to rely on saving/loading the voices for different performances because I suspect you have enough banks to use.

But to answer your question, yes, you can save and load all voices via the “File mode”. Simply press the file button, and I forget the exact steps, but you can save (and re-load) as many AllVoices files as you want to a usb flash drive.  I keep a low profile flash drive permanently connected to my MoXF for this purpose. Let me know if you need detailed instructions and I’ll hunt some up for you :)

One *other* thing you can do with this feature is load other peoples voices. This link contains three fully loaded voice packs and many of these sounds are better (in my opinion) than the stock Yamaha voices.
http://bricksite.com/perskovgaard/yamaha-synth-voices

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 26, 2018 @ 12:40 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
chrisking497 - 26 May 2018 10:03 AM

Does the MOXF8 have the ability to setup a number of voices/performances for quick access in live performance? [...]

You might find this of interest:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_moxf_mixing_program_for_quick_access_to_multiple_sounds_in_a_live_s

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 05, 2018 @ 12:38 AM
chrisking497
Joined  05-26-2018
5pinDIN - 26 May 2018 12:40 PM
chrisking497 - 26 May 2018 10:03 AM

Does the MOXF8 have the ability to setup a number of voices/performances for quick access in live performance? [...]

You might find this of interest:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_moxf_mixing_program_for_quick_access_to_multiple_sounds_in_a_live_s

Thankyou :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 05, 2018 @ 12:40 AM
chrisking497
Joined  05-26-2018

Is it possible to access favorite sounds by using the preset 1-16 buttons? Or is it just scrolling up & down the favorites bank?

How do most of you do it? Do you just create user banks then use preset buttons 1-16 to access your sounds? Or do you use the mixing mode described above?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 05, 2018 @ 02:36 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
chrisking497 - 05 June 2018 12:40 AM

Is it possible to access favorite sounds by using the preset 1-16 buttons? Or is it just scrolling up & down the favorites bank?

How do most of you do it? Do you just create user banks then use preset buttons 1-16 to access your sounds? Or do you use the mixing mode described above?

I believe you have referenced the (2) most common and efficient methods for using the 1-16 buttons to access VOICES (PARTS), in your questions above:  USER copies of FAVORITES in a BANK, and/or MIXING MODE for glitch-free live performance.

The MIXING MODE method is much less costly, in terms of “spending” USER locations.  It only “costs” a single SONG or PATTERN.

As suggested in this thread, there are more esoteric ways to accomplish this utilizing MASTER MODE. However, they are not nearly as clean or direct as those referenced above.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 05, 2018 @ 08:28 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
cmayhle - 05 June 2018 02:36 AM

[...] The MIXING MODE method is much less costly, in terms of “spending” USER locations.  It only “costs” a single SONG or PATTERN. [...]

Indeed, a Mixing can organize Preset or User Voices without impacting User locations. The Voices can be edited and stored as Mixing Voices - up to 256 of them. That’s in addition to the User locations.

Pages 122-123 of the MOXF Reference Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/60478) cover Mixing Voices.

This support article discusses Mixing Voices from the perspective of the XS, but most of it applies to the MOXF as well:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mix_voice_bank_mixv

[ Ignore ]