mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Copy Pattern Section Doesn’t Work"

Posted on: May 23, 2018 @ 04:27 PM
jackberl
Total Posts:  9
Joined  11-05-2012

Hello, I’m trying to copy a section within a pattern to another section, as a starting point for editing. This function simply doesn’t work on my Motif XF. The operation shows no error, just that there is no data in the destination section. Copy Track works, but surely one isn’t expected to copy a Section one track at a time…

Another question is regarding the Append Pattern function. The reference manual makes a distinction between “original pattern” (the pattern to be appended) and “destination pattern” (the pattern to be appended to) making a longer pattern which is presumably “destination” + “original”. Then in subsequent explanation, the manual blurs the words “original” and “destination” together, as in “original destination” (what is THAT?). Particularly unclear is the “Keep Original Phrase” checkbox - we are appending two patterns together - nothing is being erased - so what is the concept of keeping the original phrase, and where is it located?

Thanks,

Jack

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2018 @ 06:08 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jackberl - 23 May 2018 04:27 PM

Hello, I’m trying to copy a section within a pattern to another section, as a starting point for editing. This function simply doesn’t work on my Motif XF. The operation shows no error, just that there is no data in the destination section. Copy Track works, but surely one isn’t expected to copy a Section one track at a time…

When copying a Pattern Section to another Section in the same Pattern, put a check mark next to “Current Pattern” for the Destination.

Before you ask…
Yes, it would seem that if the Source and Destination Pattern numbers were the same, that would be sufficient - but it isn’t. I don’t know why - I didn’t program the operating system.  :-)

jackberl -

Another question is regarding the Append Pattern function. The reference manual makes a distinction between “original pattern” (the pattern to be appended) and “destination pattern” (the pattern to be appended to) making a longer pattern which is presumably “destination” + “original”. Then in subsequent explanation, the manual blurs the words “original” and “destination” together, as in “original destination” (what is THAT?). Particularly unclear is the “Keep Original Phrase” checkbox - we are appending two patterns together - nothing is being erased - so what is the concept of keeping the original phrase, and where is it located?

With Append Pattern, the Phrases from the Source are appended to the Phrases of the Destination, and they overwrite (replace) what was previously (originally) at the Destination. That is, unless you elect to “Keep Original Phrase” - in which case the Destination’s original data (before being appended by the Source data) is retained (not overwritten). That, of course, requires memory for the Destination’s original data, and additional memory for the combined Destination and Source data (appended).

Did that help?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2018 @ 12:14 PM
jackberl
Joined  11-05-2012

Thanks 5pin! That fixed the Copy issue. Still confused about Append - in my mind, Append simply places one section at the end of another section - nothing is deleted. So I don’t understand the option to “keep” the original, and where is the original “kept”?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2018 @ 10:42 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jackberl - 24 May 2018 12:14 PM

Thanks 5pin! That fixed the Copy issue.

You’re welcome.

jackberl -

Still confused about Append - in my mind, Append simply places one section at the end of another section - nothing is deleted. So I don’t understand the option to “keep” the original, and where is the original “kept”?

Each Pattern can have up to 256 Phrases - 16 Tracks, 16 sections (A~P). As long as that number isn’t exceeded, the original Phrase(s) can be kept, as originally numbered. For example…

Let’s say you have a Pattern with Sections A and B, each with four Tracks. You press [F4](Patch) > [A], and see that it uses Patches numbered 001~004. You press [B] and see 005~008.

You then append Section A to Section B, with a check mark for “Keep Original Phrase”. Looking at the Patch screen for Section B, you’d notice that it no longer shows Phrase numbers 005~008, but 009~012 - they’re the appended Phrases. The original Phrases for Section B are still in memory, numbered 005~008. On the Patch screen you could change the Phrases for Section B back to those original ones if you wanted to.

If you had not placed a check mark for “Keep Original Phrase”, the Patch screen for Section B would show that the Phrases were still numbered 005~008. However, they would be the appended Phrases - the original Phrases (before appending) would be gone.

So “Keep Original Phrase” retains the Phrases (and their numbering) that were originally in the Destination. It’s a bit of protection, but at the expense of Phrase memory.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2018 @ 02:51 PM
jackberl
Joined  11-05-2012

Thanks for all the info 5pinDIN!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2018 @ 09:32 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jackberl - 07 June 2018 02:51 PM

Thanks for all the info 5pinDIN!

You’re welcome! Have fun.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Anyone using Motif XF Editor standalone in DP8?
Next Topic:

Soft Case Gig bag for XF8 ››